Online shopping in Thailand

How easy is it to shop online with eBay, AliExpress etc while in Thailand?

Approximate time to receive goods?

Any complicated customs procedures or taxes?

Are the goods delivered to your doorstep?

Thank you in advance for sharing your first hand experiences.

I've bought quite a number of items from Amazon, including a Kindle, with no problems with delivery to a rural address whatsoever.  The items usually arrive before they say they will.  For example, I ordered the last item on October 31st - shipped from the US, and paid for the lowest shipping rate, because I wasn't in a hurry.  They said it would arrive November 13th, and it actually arrived about a week earlier.

I've only bought one thing off eBay, and that got tied up in customs due to the seller sending it via UPS and putting a ridiculously low figure on the value - probably thinking he was doing me a favour.  I sent the receipt, showing the correct value, to UPS and they managed to get it cleared, charging me the import duty when it was delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've bought pretty much online in LOS and very seldom had a negative experience.

Ebay: It's always good to check on the seller's reputation, there're are so many coonmen out there, that it already hurts. If you, for example order something from the States, you'll not know what the final bill will be.

Shipping is usually quite expensive, but if it's here fast and you urgently need it, there are different categories in shipping costs.

But the parts also have to clear the customs and that can put another good amount on your bill.

Be careful when you buy software, there are sellers who give you a software that supposed to be good for a year, but it's only working for six months. No worries, you're protected by Ebay and the sellers prefer to refund your money before they get a very bad evaluation and lose business.

Just recently, I've started to buy from Lazada and Aliexpress, pretty good prices and many different ways to pay. I prefer to pay at delivery, because you can always cancel the order, even when it's already at your doorstep. 

Ebay protects their customers and all disputes are usually solved in favor of the buyer. Lazada let's other companies sell on their website and you can get dirt cheap products with free shipping, even when it's from Malaysia, or farer away.

I've bought motorcycle parts from Ebay and only got ripped off by a British seller who sold fake NGK Iridium spark plugs( Nothing against Brits)  Unfortunately was he not the only seller of fake goods. 

I've had funny disputes with a Moroccan lady who sold me the six months program that should have been good for a year.

She was stupid enough to promise me to give me another key after six months.( I really had to ask her if she's mentally insa_e).....

Never ever buy anything when a provider on a website is using an ordinary e-mail address. It happened to me that I'd lost the money for a way to cheapo exhaust system and it later turned out that the company was made up to rip money off people. 

Always be careful when a product is too cheap. There are certain companies who sell very low quality products but sell them as originals. Some even warn you of fake parts/ accessories!!!

The problem with Ebay sellers is that anybody can sell stuff on Ebay and most of them all in a sudden disappear and you do not have the chance to get in touch with them anymore. 

I never had a problem that somebody ripped me off when it came to the payment. When you use Lazada, please check thoroughly, there might be another seller who sells the same product for half of the price. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

Ebay normally several weeks and if over 1,500 baht value could attract customs/further delay.  

Aliexpress normally Chinese goods which most often do not require customs payment and a week to 10 days normal.

Lazada (same owner as Aliexpress) same day to 3 days normal for items in Thailand - a week or bit more from China.  COD available most items.  

Shopee same day to 3 days recommended sellers - other could be longer or never but refund after about a week if not shipped.  Also many items drop ship from China so same week to 10 days normal.  

Check all sellers ratings and time on platforms.

Do not believe any customs issues using Lazada/Shopee (but I do not order very high value items).

As above check prices closely - many selling items at 2x normal cost with many placements in hope of making one sale.

Edited by lopburi3

I mainly use Lazada, 2 days delivery for items from Thailand and 6 days from China ( I’m in Ayutthaya, your location might have longer delivery ). For me the COD option makes it my first choice.

Used AliExpress once only, didn’t pay much attention on checkout and got 30 days delivery, shorter delivery options are available for various prices. My package never showed up, opened a dispute and was re-imbursed quickly .

I have used Wish 3 or 4 times and been satisfied with delivery and quality of products.