Surprising phone call by immigration officer

My next 90 days report will be due on December 25th.

Today I received a phone call by a person, who identified herself as an immigration officer at the local immigration buereau. She asked me very politely if I could show up at the immigration bureau tomorrow in order to do my 90 days report more than a week earlier than it's due date.

Has anybody ever had a request like that and what could possibly be the reason?

Edited by thecaveman
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

I had this  happen to me but not over the 90 day report. I was in the middle of teaching a class and I got a call. I did not answer the call, I rejected it. A minute later I got the call again so I answered. It was immigration and they wanted to know where I lived. They actually came to my school and took a picture of me and my passport and work permit. One of the senior officials at my work knew the immigration officer and chided him for scaring the forieign teachers. We learned we had just gotten a new head officer at our local immigration office and she was checking  on foreigners to make sure they were none overstaying or undesirables as she wanted to start off clean and firm. 

The immigration officer who came to my school I had seen before when doing my 90 day report.

• Like 1

I had an experience more complicated than that. Received a phone call mid. November, she told me that my 90 days report was in 3 days time, which was not true, it was on December, though I was overseas and returned Thailand on early November ; so my 90 day report stretched to early Feb. She doesnt have any clue where we are and our movements. This shows that computer contact from to Airport and Immig office is LOST. This experience was at Mukdahan.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I have an easy solution for any kind of unsolicited call: I never answer my phone, unless the number is one of my contacts.

It has served me well. In the rare event that anyone else has anything important to bring to my attention, they can send an SMS to suggest that I call back. Or call an acquaintance of mine.

That's not primarily to fob off immigration officers and other criminals. Too many people simply have the wrong number or want to sell some crappola.

I also use the same technique but I don't know why my girlfriend always rushes to answer my phone????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

Never. Probably just a curtesy call as a reminder.  

What I would like to know is will the next 90 days start as the OP says, tomorrow when he reports, or will it start from the day next week when he is supposed to do his report?

I moved to a new house and told my landlady to go and register me so she didn’t get fined....I planned to go in later that day to register new address.....I got a call from Immigration telling me I don’t have to come as it’s all taken care of. Appreciated that as it saved me a journey. Did my 90 day a month a later and everything was kosher. In fact you used to have to fill out a page before for 90 day, this time it was just a slip with my address....very nice.

11 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Whenever a competent official calls, always ask for their full name, their job title, phone number, department within the office and badge number.

As previously stated, it could be a set-up for a burglary. It has happened to many.

I wonder if the OP lives alone and it is well known.