UK PM Johnson plans to block extension of Brexit transition beyond 2020

webfact

2 hours ago, Nanglon said:

Claims here that fisheries account for a mere 0.12% of UK economy. Yet emotions run high .... possibly a give away for Boris to achieve other more significant gains?

https://maritime-executive.com/editorials/brexit-s-impact-on-the-uk-s-fisheries 

The article is a good window on the possibilities and we can rule out the last scenario as we are leaving and probably the first.. a deal of some form is most likely to be struck... id also suggest The UK leaves the EU on existing CFP conditions option is unliklely with Boris. I would expect a renegotiation, under a May Gov id have said it would be traded away to remain as it already is.... under Boris ? the fisheries issue atm is not trending but it will, many remember the past issues and result and will expect Boris to deliver something of merit, id like to think there would be a re renegotiation and more like a compromise enabling the British fishing industry to grow and as suggested the EU would possibly compensate members who lose out and thus allowing both sides to save face and claim a victory... Time will tell

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nanglon said:

Claims here that fisheries account for a mere 0.12% of UK economy. Yet emotions run high .... possibly a give away for Boris to achieve other more significant gains?

https://maritime-executive.com/editorials/brexit-s-impact-on-the-uk-s-fisheries 

He might but that would start to erode his support immediately. 

18 hours ago, englishoak said:

I didnt ignore what you said it was just pointless addressing supposition only, you dont "know" anything but you sure like to pretend you do. 

Do we take it that you know for a fact that Bojo will not concede any fishing rights to the EU. Of course you don't, just defending your hero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Really are in a fantasy world aren't you Sandyman! Fishing Waters are British and there will be a 200 mile exclusion zone for the Scottish fisherman. This choice of "decimate blah blah  .. is your own creation. Oh and the big promise by the PM is being enacted in just over a months time.. Do keep up.

With over 70% of exports going to the EU, what do you think is going to happen to the jobs in the onshore fishing industry if the EU do not get any fishing rights.

Is it any wonder that the largest part of the Scottish fishing industry wanted to remain, to the simple mind fishing means boats.

The seafood processing sector is larger than both the aquaculture and fishing industries, with a turnover of £1.6 billion by 2016 - just over double that of aquaculture and nearly three times that of fishing.

In Scotland, the sector is based in the North East, the Highlands and Islands and on the West Coast, and makes a significant contribution to the local economies in these areas.

https://digitalpublications.parliament.scot/ResearchBriefings/Report/2019/7/5/Seafood-processing-in-Scotland--an-industry-profile

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

They are not being taxed twice. They are paying the rate applicable in Scotland not the rest of UK.

Therefore they are being taxed twice. Once at the English rate and again with the difference in the Scottish rate. Is this why there are so many Scots working south of the border so they pay less tax?

Is it up to each country in the Union to set its own income tax rates?

19 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Do we take it that you know for a fact that Bojo will not concede any fishing rights to the EU. Of course you don't, just defending your hero.

Actually Sandy there are very few people (and none on TVF) who know exactly what 2020 will bring from Boris. It will be the end of 2020 before we know what he has promised and kept or didn't didn't keep.

The Queen's speech today should make it a bit clearer but the details will be the nitty gritty hard work.

There needs to be some give and take on both sides and up to now it has been mostly the UK gives and the EU takes. Now with the Tory majority the EU needs to listen and talk.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Actually Sandy there are very few people (and none on TVF) who know exactly what 2020 will bring from Boris. It will be the end of 2020 before we know what he has promised and kept or didn't didn't keep.

The Queen's speech today should make it a bit clearer but the details will be the nitty gritty hard work.

There needs to be some give and take on both sides and up to now it has been mostly the UK gives and the EU takes. Now with the Tory majority the EU needs to listen and talk.

Even at the end of 2020 thd UK and EU can carry on negotatating.

Boris has only promised not to extend the transition period. This does not eliminate further deals with the EU after the transition has ended.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Selfishly I was hoping for a post-election Boris baht bounce and on the day and after I thought we had it and dreamed of getting 45 before the end of January. I do hope we won't have to wait for year end before we climb again. 

Why would it climb at year end?

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
  • A stronger £ that is less vulnerable to volatile swings of other currencies.
  • A stronger balance of payments account.
  • A GDP that elevates the UK back into the top 3 (top 4 will be fine for now but keep those Indians behind you!).
  • More social cohesion and less personal disenfranchisement.
  • A strengthening of the Union, regardless of the machinations of the Nationalists north of the border

Only chance of any of that happening was if we'd remained in the EU. That ship has sailed now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nice wishlist, but unfortunately just the usual babble. This will get better, that will get better, roll up our sleeves, but no explanation on how this all will be achieved.

Ever the minimalist.

For which I, for one, am thankful

Edited by NanLaew

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Only chance of any of that happening was if we'd remained in the EU. That ship has sailed now.

The generation of people that have to make it work will make it work. Apart from the recent vacillating rabble of MP's that have been for the greater part washed away, the British are still quite good at making things work regardless of the adversity being faced. This idea that the UK will be consumed by the lost, inward-looking legions of hand-wringing indolent perpetually wondering 'What if?' is quite laughable. Historically, that hasn't been a trait observed of the British.

Most of those that feel suddenly out of their EU-enabled comfort zone will eventually catch on. Those that don't, the few lost, inward-looking legions of hand-wringing indolent perpetually wondering 'What if?'... they'll be the ones missing your boat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The generation of people that have to make it work will make it work. Apart from the recent vacillating rabble of MP's that have been for the greater part washed away, the British are still quite good at making things work regardless of the adversity being faced. This idea that the UK will be consumed by the lost, inward-looking legions of hand-wringing indolent perpetually wondering 'What if?' is quite laughable. Historically, that hasn't been a trait observed of the British.

Most of those that feel suddenly out of their EU-enabled comfort zone will eventually catch on. Those that don't, the few lost, inward-looking legions of hand-wringing indolent perpetually wondering 'What if?'... they'll be the ones missing your boat.

Thanks for confirming my post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Thanks for confirming my post.

What?! You agree with this?

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Thanks!

3 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

No it does not function like that.

A person living in Scotland gets a S prefix tax code. For example S1250L as opposed to 1250L for a person not living in Scotland.

Whoever is responsible for collecting the tax , employer , pension etc , see the S prefix and applies the Scottish rates .

This still goes to the HMRC who then forwards to Scottish government.

The criteria for Scottish rate depends upon where the person lives not place of employment.

Tax rates are a Scottish devolved competency

Thank you for that as I had no idea.

So servicemen and women posted to Scotland do pay extra income tax and the difference between the two goes to Scotland.

Which takes me back to my original point of a double standard between Scotland and the rest of the UK, hence the LOA allowance for servicemen and women posted to Scotland and double standard taxes.

Servicemen and women posted to Scotland have no choice in the matter.

To be perfectly honest though, there can be absolutely no guarantees that the UK will do well in any prescribed time frame. By the same token, there's no providence at all to claim the UK won't do well. It's all so many hypotheticals in lieu of any tangibles on both sides and nobody can lay any claim to be the one getting it right.

However, I have immense faith in human nature and I consider that the more positive UK collective will prevail for the common good and greater betterment moving forward. I would rather think that the addage "You've made your bed, so lie in it" applies here but I have faith and confidence that suitably motivated and appropriately incentivized British people will make it a king sized, four-poster in their own home rather than a sleeping bag in someone else's spare room.

• Like 1

A comment on the OP and Boris's pledge to make it illegal to seek an extension. Looks good but ultimately insignificant. Due to the wonderful unwritten British constitution, a law can be issued to revoke this and, if it fits the state of play and his agenda at the time, even Boris himself could propose to legislate to the contrary.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that as I had no idea.

So servicemen and women posted to Scotland do pay extra income tax and the difference between the two goes to Scotland.

Which takes me back to my original point of a double standard between Scotland and the rest of the UK, hence the LOA allowance for servicemen and women posted to Scotland and double standard taxes.

Servicemen and women posted to Scotland have no choice in the matter.

Not quite

The tax collected from Scottish Income Tax goes to the Scottish Government.

Thus if a person is liable to Scotland Income Tax of 21% then the Scottish government gets the full 21% 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1