Local level corruption...

cornishcarlos

Permanent road signs are taxed for sure but these are basically wood frame and vinyl signs that most businesses out of town use. We are not in town. I'm not bothered, we will put them on private property. Its just annoying that many government institutions condone ripping off the common population to make money. 

IMG_20191211_172446.jpg

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It's not what you know, it's who you know there is a sign at the beginning of the soi near me and it's for sure beyond the electric pole obviously know the orbortor 

Maybe the  criteria  differs  from place to place or province but we  have a 2.5 x 1.5 metre sign out on the roadside  at least 8  beyond the  electric poles. Land  designated  for widening the road but have never had a  comment.

• Like 2

Government, and other public services such as the police and judiciary, at all levels in this country is run as a business. Salaries are deliberately set low to reduce the amount of taxation for their budgets, on the assumption that at least some of the staff will exploit every money making opportunity available in order to supplement their low wages and feed their bosses.

In most Western countries (and places such as Hong Kong and Singapore, coincidentally? both former UK colonies), this is called corruption and is reduced by setting higher staff salaries and vigorously pursuing those who seek bribes. Here that mindset does not yet exist, although if there is a change of Government to a party promoting an elimination of corruption, or a change in policy by the existing Government, that may come.

It will mandate the formation of a truly Independent Commission against Corruption, as was done in Hong Kong, reform of public salary funding, and revision of tax collecting to fund the programmes. I hope I live long enough to see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

If you are serious i know a company that does and delivers all over the country, Bunters foods in BKK.

really great pies and pasties can be delivered from Phuket as well, I have been buying them for years and they are great, lady pie is the name of the shop, they are doing turkey and cranberry sauce ones for christmas along with all the other usual christmas stuff and they are brilliant

1 hour ago, IssanMichael said:

If you are serious i know a company that does and delivers all over the country, Bunters foods in BKK.

Cornish Pasties now have the same protection as things like Champagne, Stilton, etc. Only those made in Cornwall or by a Cornish person can be called Cornish Pasties. Some of the imitation Wannabees just don't cut the mustard ????????

• Haha 1

Any signage even on your land even is taxable (licence) adjusted by size & lit or not.

Approach your local council for details. Do not fall out with the locals around you.

Corruption is rife & will remain so. My wife grimaces 3 times a month when they come for the handouts

21 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If you do put signs up in English you must put the name also in Thai to avoid the higher rate of Tax, it can go in the bottom corner

Very correct.. This is the law.. You probably did not pay for your signs.. In phuket it used to be (for a medium sized sign) 1500 baht or maybe a little more a year.

30 minutes ago, paahlman said:

Very correct.. This is the law.. You probably did not pay for your signs.. In phuket it used to be (for a medium sized sign) 1500 baht or maybe a little more a year.

It varies depending on location. Cities and towns are different from rural areas.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:00 AM, cornishcarlos said:

We will now just cut them out the equation and put all signs up behind electric poles on private land.

That is the law, signs have to be inside your own land only; and furthermore, you need to pay sign tax, and extra tax for foreign letters/signs...????

During the military period soldiers were walking all roads in the area where I live, and all signs outside of private land – no matter who, also Makro and 7-Eleven – had to me moved.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:40 PM, RickG16 said:

Do you still make pasties? Can you deliver them in Thailand?

Very easy to make. Got 4 in the freezer now that I made during the cold weather. 

On the other hand if you haven't got an oven.......impossible.