"Deadly New Year" on the Thai Roads: Zero fatalities targeted

webfact

About the zeros, I am totally convinced that there will be much more than one. So, in a way they will achieve their goal more than they could dream of. The bad side is that the zeros will be an amout of approximately three after a 1 in the fatality rate number.

Actually, when I see the people in the five photos above, I immediately started to think that it would be nice to see if all of them can be on pictures after the holidays.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"Deadly New Year" on the Thai Roads: Zero fatalities targeted

I have a dream, who doesn't know this phrase?
A dream can only come true if you are willing to do something, without doing anything the result will be a great fiasco!
Try to be more realistic, zero deaths is a dream that even in the most advanced countries cannot come true!
Take small steps ... but do it ... stop saying nonsense!

4 hours ago, webfact said:
1. He has urged stores and pubs not to sell alcohol outside of the prescribed hours.
2. There has been a study of accident blackspots.
3. There is a crackdown on youth to make sure they all wear helmets and drive sensibly. 

1.  Like all licensed premises should all the time, everywhere.
2.  And?
3.  Like all riders should all the time everywhere

Edited by losername
To insert hard returns for layout.
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Drink locally forum friends. Book a hotel nearby if you plan on drinking somewhere too far to walk home. 

Remember: If you are not on the road, you will not be a road fatality.  

Sawasdee Pii Mai Krab 

Unless a drunk hits you on you way home, then you will still be a road fatality 

• Like 1

Oh no zero deaths on roads :cheesy:  There go those flying pigs past my window again. Two things that have got to happen 1/ make the cops do their job2/ Make the Thais obey the road rules   Simple  but no chance that happening Happy Motoring everyone and GOODLUCK

On 12/20/2019 at 3:13 AM, Skallywag said:

Drink locally forum friends. Book a hotel nearby if you plan on drinking somewhere too far to walk home. 

Remember: If you are not on the road, you will not be a road fatality.  

Sawasdee Pii Mai Krab 

I dont know about that, the other night I saw a motorbike plough into the back of 3 people walking along the road

And why are these drivers being so reckless, in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends a trillion baht or more, on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct? 

And lastly, when it the last time you saw a highway patrol, actually patrolling the highway? Or pulling someone over for reckless driving? It just does not happen. Zero fatalities over New Years. A silly dream, and another proclamation by very silly men, who nobody takes seriously.