Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Living in a quiet Issan village

colinneil

27 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why? Because my wife was born here, and will not move, in my condition it would be impossible for me to move without her.

Also as the house has been adapted for me, winches, wheelchair ramps, kitchen work heights, accessible bathroom.

Moving would have to be to a new house built to suit my needs or a house suitable for me.

Maybe try ear plugs.

I am not sure if only at night of better 24/7.

It must be hard.

• Haha 1

bigger cities have what we need........police presence.  Sure, they might not take our side, but they might.  in small towns, there is no police and it's all drug smuggling and self-imposed laws.  kids get bored and own the streets, usually drunk which leads to bad decisions.  

in a big city like Chiang Mai, tourism still means something and the police know it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

The smaller the community the more people look out for each other, I can leave my doors and windows open without any problems, if I did the same back in Australia my place would be emptied. Must say I feel a lot safer here than there.

Not only do they look for each other, but there is always someone looking, even if you don't see them.

In fact, it can be embarassing since it is sometime difficult to have some privacy.

If someone does anything out of the usual, everyone will know about it in the following hour...

• Like 2

I live in a small actually quiet village 25 km north of Chiang Mai.

In the 5 yrs here, never witnessed what you have listed, we just have one a German couple that are the giant hemorrhoids on the ass of this Moo Baan but no matter who you are or what country you live in,.......there will always be that 1 (or more) neighbor.

I punched his lights out in his driveway 3 yrs ago..........not smart.

They went to police station with 3 people I never saw before that claimed to be witnesses and I almost got my Visa revoked...........out of the entire Moo Baan only one other a German lady speaks to them..........the rest wouldn’t <deleted> on them if they were on fire.

He rides motorcycle like an idiot.........never a helmet........I pray daily he gets his head splattered and Karma delivers.

Sux tho........with your physical disabilities that you can’t live out your remaining years in the solitude you anticipated.

Edited by Captain 776
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

we had fewer crazy incidents in the course of my near 20 years in a village.

I think by quiet most farang mean no movies and burger king..  

Download movies from torrents, and make own burgers with Macro's Angus beef mince.

• Like 1

Village 25 km from Chiang Rai. Most of the noise at night is from geckos and roosters.

The pooyai here settles most neighbor disputes. I've not seen a police presence here in 8 years. The locals mostly get drunk on Lao Khao, Saturday nights.

I leave the villagers alone, and they leave me alone. Exchange the occasional Sawadee krap, sabai dee mai. Shop in the dalat nat for food occasionally.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Live opposite a river which is about 100 metres away and has a gradual slope of say 5 metres below the road level, so no neighbours opposite.

Neighbor to the left is a Yi and is about 20 metres from our house, then houses continue up the road to the village from there, in all about 10 to the bend, then there's the village. 

Neighbor to our right is about 100 metres, what separates us is the rice field between our place and theirs, then there is about 4 house after theirs and out of the village you go and into the next over a bridge.

Behind us is rice fields.

Before we purchased this slice of land and built the house, I got first hand experience of what it was like living in an Isaan village, staying at the in-laws place when we would visit for a month, no different to back in the old country, except they don't have noise control here, it's do what you want, bass sound blaring out of big speakers for no apparent reason, loud music after 11pm, and when it's whatever season to bring in bands till 6am in the morning, I count our lucky stars that we are where we are so that we don't have to hear anything but nature.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

In my village most of the guys drink it every night. The concept of having one or two drinks after dinner to unwind seems alien to them, they drink until they fall over. I can't stomach the stuff, it smells like petrol mixed with turps.

lol sounds like many countries except the drug smells better..

• Haha 1