Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Let "Retirement" visa expire and re-apply after 1-2 years

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not a gread choice for info.

Better info here on the embassy in Tokyo's website. http://site.thaiembassy.jp/en/visa/type/397/

Thanks UJ, that is very specific to my circumstance.

Considering all the available options, at this point I like best your original suggestion, come here on a 30 day VoA and proceed. I know the immigration office here so provided the staff stay, they will be familiar with me and it is a very good office so that probably would work the best.

6 hours ago, kuma said:

Yes you have a point there, along the lines of what the OP mentioned as well, about risk of the rules changing.

I have not yet discarded that as an idea. What gives me pause is that rather than tying up that 800k doing nothing, I could have it actively engaged generating income for the 1+ years.

If they were to increase the amount required again, it probably would impact current holders as well, but there could be a grandfather clause so you are correct that there is an element of risk there.

Thanks for the input, appreciate all the comments. A great thread.

Cheers

Your 800 k thb could certainly earn 1.5% interest in a fixed deposit, rather than doing nothing, in BBL or Krungsri, for 12 months

7 hours ago, kuma said:

Oh I see. Ok well that then puts paid to that option. The IO here did not mention that (perhaps he did not know or assumed I was Japanese - the latter being a real stretch on his part) ????

So in that case the options are let it slide and return on a 30 day VoA and proceed, or top up to 800k and renew existing and let that sit.

All that said,  if I am working there, I am not sure if I would have a status = to resident or not, will have to check.

Thanks UJ, and all the other contributors

having some sort of long-stay visa/permission to stay in a country would be the requirement to apply in that country.  a work permit/work visa should suffice.

here in china, a work permit/visa gets you a residence permit for the duration of the contract.  thai consulates here will provide an OA-visa in this case.

but then with a new OA you'll be liable for the insurance requirement.

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:25 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is is not needed for a extension of stay application but it is certainly required for a non immigrant visa application.

"5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Hi UbonJoe,

the requirement 5.3 is quite clear that you need to show evidence that the 800K in the thai bank-account has been transferred into Thailand from abroad, when applying for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO.

But if you are doing the conversion-road starting from an extension based on an original OA Visa, would you not have already proven that the 800K came from abroad?  Is showing your thai bank-book with the 800K that has been seasoned there for years, together with your approved OA extensions of stay of past years, not enough?

Would they really require you to prove (again) that the 800K came from abroad?

Imo it would be ludicrous to force applicants to transfer the 800K they have on their thai bank-account back abroad, and then transfer it back in again just to show that 'it came from abroad'.

But thai IO works in mysterious ways, so I hope you can shed some light on this.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But if you are doing the conversion-road starting from an extension based on an original OA Visa, would you not have already proven that the 800K came from abroad?  Is showing your thai bank-book with the 800K that has been seasoned there for years, together with your approved OA extensions of stay of past years, not enough?

Would they really require you to prove (again) that the 800K came from abroad?

People have been denied doing the application when they showed that the 800k baht been in the bank for well over 2 or 3 months.

It can depend upon the office where the application is done and the division headquarters that approves it.

The only firm exception that has been allowed is when applicants had been working here and could prove it was money saved here. Or sale of investments here such as a condo and etc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

People have been denied doing the application when they showed that the 800k baht been in the bank for well over 2 or 3 months.

It can depend upon the office where the application is done and the division headquarters that approves it.

The only firm exception that has been allowed is when applicants had been working here and could prove it was money saved here. Or sale of investments here such as a condo and etc.

Thanks for response!

But what if you could prove that the 800K came from abroad say 3 years ago, by showing your thai bank-book with the incoming funds carrying the bank-code that they were transferred from abroad?

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But what if you could prove that the 800K came from abroad say 3 years ago, by showing your thai bank-book with the incoming funds carrying the bank-code that they were transferred from abroad?

That might be accepted. 

Not sure why the requirement for the proof is in the order. If it was only to keep people from borrowing the money to do the application they could of put an or statement in stating a minimum amount of months or days. But it could of been to prevent people from using money earned here illegally. I am sure some bureaucrats wanted it in the order for some unknown reason before they would approve it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That might be accepted. 

Not sure why the requirement for the proof is in the order. If it was only to keep people from borrowing the money to do the application they could of put an or statement in stating a minimum amount of months or days. But it could of been to prevent people from using money earned here illegally. I am sure some bureaucrats wanted it in the order for some unknown reason before they would approve it.

Thanks UbonJoe for your - as always - knowledgeable advice.

In case the 800K in your thai bank-book, seasoned and proven as coming from abroad (even if that was years ago), is not accepted, there is always the option to transfer the funds in and out of your foreign bank-account again.  Of course that's a totally ludicrous exercise when you are being forced to do that, but it's not the end of the world and will only cost you twice a currency-exchange fee.

Happy XMas to you and your loved ones!

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, kuma said:

Thanks UJ, that is very specific to my circumstance.

Considering all the available options, at this point I like best your original suggestion, come here on a 30 day VoA and proceed. I know the immigration office here so provided the staff stay, they will be familiar with me and it is a very good office so that probably would work the best.

So here again to stir up this thread. Its amazing how much has happened since activity here on this thread tailed off in late December.

I was in Japan, but cut the trip short a few days and returned - did not want to get caught up in a mandatory quarantine or other such issue. Seems like a good move too, as Japan is now (seemingly, not sure what to believe atm) struggling with the "crown"

If I can ask about the visa issue from another angle - now that I am back we are taking time to trip around the country for the month. I thought maybe I would do a border crossing (Satun/Malaysia, Pai/Myanmar, Ubon/Laos, Mukdahan/Laos, Chanthaburi/Cambodia) and then re-enter with a 30 day visa and go through the steps to re-apply.

Does anyone have comments on these crossings or others that may be good for this? I am quite interested in Satun, but we are ready to go NSEW as we like. I am assuming I would be able to get a 30 day (or longer) visa in the adjoining country, then return here and go through the application process. I have all the prerequisites including the 800k.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

Cheers

21 hours ago, kuma said:

So here again to stir up this thread. Its amazing how much has happened since activity here on this thread tailed off in late December.

I was in Japan, but cut the trip short a few days and returned - did not want to get caught up in a mandatory quarantine or other such issue. Seems like a good move too, as Japan is now (seemingly, not sure what to believe atm) struggling with the "crown"

If I can ask about the visa issue from another angle - now that I am back we are taking time to trip around the country for the month. I thought maybe I would do a border crossing (Satun/Malaysia, Pai/Myanmar, Ubon/Laos, Mukdahan/Laos, Chanthaburi/Cambodia) and then re-enter with a 30 day visa and go through the steps to re-apply.

Does anyone have comments on these crossings or others that may be good for this? I am quite interested in Satun, but we are ready to go NSEW as we like. I am assuming I would be able to get a 30 day (or longer) visa in the adjoining country, then return here and go through the application process. I have all the prerequisites including the 800k.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

Cheers

When you enter via a border crossing you get a 30 days Visa exempt, not a Visa. When having the 800k in the bank, you can go to the local immigration office and start the conversion process. You need 2 sets of documents for the conversion and 1 set when applying for the 1 year extension 60 days later. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, Max69xl said:

When you enter via a border crossing you get a 30 days Visa exempt, not a Visa. When having the 800k in the bank, you can go to the local immigration office and start the conversion process. You need 2 sets of documents for the conversion and 1 set when applying for the 1 year extension 60 days later. 

Thx, yes thats the process.

I am hearing a lot about additional requirements/possible complications doing border crossings due to the "Crown 19" but there are other threads dealing in detail with it.

Cheers