Let "Retirement" visa expire and re-apply after 1-2 years

Good day

Searching the threads I did not find much on this particular thought so I made a new thread rather than hijack an existing unrelated one.

I have lived here about 17 years now, on a mix of working and retirement visas. I have had a retirement visa for three years now, it will be ready to renew in April 2020.

I have the opportunity to work overseas for a contract period of a year and am considering it.

My question to the forum is how difficult is it if I were to let my existing visa lapse, then apply for a new one once I return? Is it as simple as ensure I have the 800k in the bank +60 days before, land and get a visa on arrival and then go thru the motions to re-apply - which I guess would include having to exit the country once and return as part of the process? My existing visa I made in Jomtien, and had to deal with the backroom dragon to get it. On return, I would have a registered address in another province, so I could apply there (much more civilized office) and get out from the Jomtien visa - which would be another big plus if I could anage that.

If it is not overly complex, I am thinking of that as an option as opposed to leaving 800k in the bank here for the period I am away, simply to be able to extend my existing - I do not see the need to leave that $ fallow here if I can easily re-apply once I return (the contract may exceed one year hence the question)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will not be that hard to apply again. It is the same as applying or the first time.

You first would need to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the date you apply. You would need to show proof the 800k baht was transferred from abroad.

Then you would apply for the one year extension based upon retirement during  the last 30 day of the 90 day entry from the visa. The 800k baht would then need to be in the bank for 2 months.

UJ, good day

After all these years, as usual I can always count on informative replies when it comes to you. Thanks very much as always for the time and effort you put in.

I hear what you are saying, upon arrival if I apply for a 90 day Imm O (I'm from Canada so I should be eligible) then I could visit the immigration office of the province where I register my residence in the final month, having deposited 800k on or before the day of my re-arrival to Thailand, and I would then have passed the threshold for 60 days deposit, and I could qualify for a new "retirement" visa - and get out from under Jomtien immigration, which, other than the dragon, I have to say have been pleasant to deal with, but the crowds are huge! Out here in the sticks it is a much more pleasant experience.

I will go visit the local office here tomorrow as well, just to be sure they align with this and I give them a heads up in advance.

I hope I have interpreted your message correctly - please advise if I went astray.

Have a great day, merry xmas and happy holidays Joe.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, kuma said:

I hear what you are saying, upon arrival if I apply for a 90 day Imm O (I'm from Canada so I should be eligible) then I could visit the immigration office of the province where I register my residence in the final month, having deposited 800k on or before the day of my re-arrival to Thailand, and I would then have passed the threshold for 60 days deposit, and I could qualify for a new "retirement" visa - and get out from under Jomtien immigration, which, other than the dragon, I have to say have been pleasant to deal with, but the crowds are huge!

You have to apply for the visa and extension at the same office.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ah ok, so then get a 30 visa on arrival at immigration when landing, then apply for 90 day Non Imm O in the province, which I can then extend at 60+ days? Is that the process map? I suspect somewhere in all that I would need another border crossing as well?

Cheers

1 hour ago, kuma said:

I suspect somewhere in all that I would need another border crossing as well?

No need to get a new entry during the process. You can apply for a 30 day extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry you would get for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Thanks 2

UbonJoe is usually correct.  However, in this case, I'm pretty sure you don't have to prove where the 800K came from as you do with income.  I recently changed to the 800K option as I couldn't jump through the hoops required for the income route.  I certainly didn't have to prove where it came from!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

UbonJoe is usually correct.  However, in this case, I'm pretty sure you don't have to prove where the 800K came from as you do with income.  I recently changed to the 800K option as I couldn't jump through the hoops required for the income route.  I certainly didn't have to prove where it came from!

It is is not needed for a extension of stay application but it is certainly required for a non immigrant visa application.

"5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Sorry, Ubon.  I bow to your better knowledge.  Just that I've never come across anyone being asked for proof that it came from overseas. 

My understanding is that if the non O is obtained inside of los via conversion from ve or setv etc then need to demonstrate money come from outside of los. Not required if obtain non o outside of Thailand.

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Sorry, Ubon.  I bow to your better knowledge.  Just that I've never come across anyone being asked for proof that it came from overseas. 

I am aware of people not having it when applying for a non immigrant visa and being denied. 

As I wrote it is not needed for an extension of stay. I suspect it is the usual confusion caused by referring to extensions as visas.

• Like 1

For Thb 1,900 plus an exit permit, why wouldn’t you maintain it ? The continuous approval to stay might have some benefit in the future if they change the sum to be deposited or some other rule. Of course you’d have to maintain the Thb 800 k / Thb 400 k for the year. Just a thought.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, ubonjoe said:

Why can't he extend his 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa obtained in Canada at the local immigration? He isn't talking about an initial conversion from a 30 days Visa exempt or a 60 days TR Visa.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why can't he extend his 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa obtained in Canada at the local immigration? He isn't talking about an initial conversion from a 30 days Visa exempt or a 60 days TR Visa.

Where does he say he will have a non-o visa issued in Canada?

56 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why can't he extend his 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa obtained in Canada at

He said he was from Canada so he should be eligible for the 90 day non Imm O at an immigrations office in Thailand. He did not say he was getting a visa in Canada.

@kuma You plan is to come back in one or two years time; so bear in mind that there have been extensive changes to the retirement requirements over the past 18 months, and there could be more to come.

Are we absolutely certain that the non-O for retirement will still be available in 2021 or 2022?

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Are we absolutely certain that the non-O for retirement will still be available in 2021 or 2022?

Why would it not be available?

They are certainly not going to require everybody that want to retire here to get a non-oa or a non-ox visa at a embassy or official consulate.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 4:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

No need to get a new entry during the process. You can apply for a 30 day extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry you would get for a fee of 1900 baht.

UJ

An update. Immigration suggested I apply for the 90 day Non-Imm in the country where I am working, instead of doing the VoA and extension. Have you found that to be more complex?

I read the following as requirements:

Requirements

Applicants for 90-Day Non-Immigrant visa to Thailand must demonstrate that they are neither a public or security threat to the Thai government. Further, the applicants must be physically present in the country where they lodge their visa application. The general requirements for this type of visa are as follows:

• A passport with at least 6-month validity from the date of your intended arrival in Thailand.

• An invitation or confirmation letter to clarify the purpose of travel issued by the concerned organization.

• Additional supporting document requested by the Royal Thai embassy or consulate.

• Proof of financial funds and travel itinerary.

• Embassy fee.

The visa applicants are advised to apply for their visa either by mail or in person at the Royal Thai embassy or consulate in their home country.

I would be applying from Japan. The invitation or confirmation letter I am in the dark on, not sure what is required. I have lived here 16+ years now, with a few overseas contracts done here and there (but I always fit that work in during the period of an existing extension) and own my own foreign registered condo here - any thoughts on what type of letter they would be looking for?

Cheers

All others, thanks for the contributions and lively discussion! Will reply to some of the messages. It can be a real spaghetti bowl if you consider too many options.

Merry Xmas / Happy Holidays

7 hours ago, Momofarang said:

@kuma You plan is to come back in one or two years time; so bear in mind that there have been extensive changes to the retirement requirements over the past 18 months, and there could be more to come.

Momo

I hear you things can change in a blink, but I am thinking as UJ has said, that it will still be available.

If they were to consider some drastic change, I would hope it would be telegraphed enough in advance that I could apply under the current process before it changed.

It is a crazy world out there now and I think you are correct there is some level of risk, but small imo

Cheers

On 12/23/2019 at 4:10 PM, Suradit69 said:

He said he was from Canada so he should be eligible for the 90 day non Imm O at an immigrations office in Thailand. He did not say he was getting a visa in Canada.

Yes, regarding my origin/place of potential application - I am Canadian and can meet all the posted requirements for a non-imm 90 day (the 'invitation letter' I am trying to get more info on from UJ) but I would in all likelihood be applying for the 90 day from Tokyo (not Canada), if I choose to go that route over doing a 30 day VoA here and continuing on based on that process.

My local IO here told me that I would need a health check up here to go from a 30 day VoA to a 90 day non-imm and then one year extension, but that I would not need to do that if I obtained a 90 day non-imm from Tokyo. I would not have a problem with a health check up today, but again there is risk there if we are talking a few years out.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, kuma said:

I would in all likelihood be applying for the 90 day from Tokyo (not Canada), if I choose to go that route over doing a 30 day VoA

Only if you are a legal resident of Japan would you be able to apply there.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:10 PM, Jaxxper said:

For Thb 1,900 plus an exit permit, why wouldn’t you maintain it ? The continuous approval to stay might have some benefit in the future if they change the sum to be deposited or some other rule. Of course you’d have to maintain the Thb 800 k / Thb 400 k for the year. Just a thought.

Yes you have a point there, along the lines of what the OP mentioned as well, about risk of the rules changing.

I have not yet discarded that as an idea. What gives me pause is that rather than tying up that 800k doing nothing, I could have it actively engaged generating income for the 1+ years.

If they were to increase the amount required again, it probably would impact current holders as well, but there could be a grandfather clause so you are correct that there is an element of risk there.

Thanks for the input, appreciate all the comments. A great thread.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only if you are a legal resident of Japan would you be able to apply there.

Oh I see. Ok well that then puts paid to that option. The IO here did not mention that (perhaps he did not know or assumed I was Japanese - the latter being a real stretch on his part) ????

So in that case the options are let it slide and return on a 30 day VoA and proceed, or top up to 800k and renew existing and let that sit.

All that said,  if I am working there, I am not sure if I would have a status = to resident or not, will have to check.

Thanks UJ, and all the other contributors

Edited by kuma
Additonal comment

18 minutes ago, kuma said:

Requirements

Applicants for 90-Day Non-Immigrant visa to Thailand must demonstrate that they are neither a public or security threat to the Thai government. Further, the applicants must be physically present in the country where they lodge their visa application. The general requirements for this type of visa are as follows:

• A passport with at least 6-month validity from the date of your intended arrival in Thailand.

• An invitation or confirmation letter to clarify the purpose of travel issued by the concerned organization.

• Additional supporting document requested by the Royal Thai embassy or consulate.

• Proof of financial funds and travel itinerary.

• Embassy fee.

Where did you find those requirements.

The are lot different than what is normally required.

49 minutes ago, kuma said:

I would in all likelihood be applying for the 90 day from Tokyo (not Canada),

I would doubt that would be possible unless you are a legal resident of Japan.

In an earlier post you said you were going to enter Thailand and apply for a conversion to a non Imm O entry. Probably a good idea to decide on a plan and proceed with that, whatever it may be.

• Like 1