The THB - When does it end?!?

51 minutes ago, poohy said:

Utter rubbish!

E.G. A tray of eggs was 73 THB now 90 THB plus  i can go on do you really live here

So typical of a silly  example.

The way I see it is my council tax in my village province for the land our house is on is 8 baht a year, in the UK it was a bit more than that. ????

My electric bill has been constant pretty much for years in Thailand, same water and gas.

Diesel 14 baht 15 years ago now 27 baht, not bad me thinks.

And you go on about about eggs, our eggs cost nowt and chickens eat family food leftovers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Until they have finally bled the Govt coffers dry. Then they'll do a Gen Chavalit. Transfer all their ill gotten gains into US$, then crash the Baht, then transfer it back again. Double their money overnight.

So I guess you will be doing the same? Sounds like now’s a good time to sell all your baht and to buy USD considering how weak the USD is now. 

• Like 1

At this moment 1GBP = 38.97 baht by international exchange rate by Google talking , not the rate in Thailand …. it keeps sliding this 24 Dec. midnight  & 9 minutes

Edited by david555

20 hours ago, poohy said:

You silly boy!!!

Not in 15 years in less than 2  

If you do any shopping you realise prices (not only eggs) are increasing daily so has lecky 

i suggest you talk to a few thais and run the argument prices arent rising past them

Re eggs .... no i dont live in squalor surrounded by my own chickens eating my <deleted> ....then of course you eggs are cheap the neighbours must love ya

And yes i am considering spending 6 months here 6 months in UK a very civilised agreement i feel as it suits me well apart from missing my dogs but the mrs will take care of them but i can whatsapp them (oh i a suppose the mrs too)

So sad I can see now your typical of many falangie people living here in your bubble, lots of people see it like you but we live in Thailand too there are different places in Thailand ya know. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

It ends when the interest-rate spread between the Greenback and the Kiwi narrows.

Time was when the Kiwi paid ~8%, now pays less than the almighty USD, and that killed the Uridashi long NZD/short JPY bonds.  Borrowing in the low-interest Yen and placing in the high-interest Kiwi.  As long as the Kiwi didn't weaken more than the spread (+costs), the Uridashi turned a profit.

The footloose Uridashi braves looked at the deluge of 2011 which brought sludge to farm-land-turned-auto-plants (and Siam's offer of subsidies, in the form of tax-holidays) as sign from Kami (Shinto) and piled into long THB/short JPY positions. 

The Thai economy is twice the size of the Kiwi economy and it's debt/GDP is 40%, compared to 30% Kiwi debt/GDP, which to the Uridashi means deeper and more-needy.

Current rates

Fed 1.75%

Nippon -0.1%

Kiwi 1%

Siam 1.25%

• Confused 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:53 PM, Kwasaki said:

Depends what you call risen, don't just post say what has risen then out of proportion with a emerging country. !!!

My bills water, electric, gas are not a lot more.

If it's cheaper where you come from you you know what to do then. 

Yep, still only 12/13 baht for a chicken breast....fresh veg in the market 5 or 10 baht a bunch...I don't know where else you could cook a healthy meal for 4 people at a cost of 50 baht or less....daily essentials have hardly risen as you say.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chivas said:

// foreign currency reserves continue to grow and currently are $230 billion and rising monthly, and the last time I checked that was 12th highest in the World

Iran was close to that also. i wouldn't worry about those figures

To understand why the Baht has appreciated is actually simple.

Most countries (even tax havens) are now fully compliant with CRS/OECD tax reporting and sharing. 

Two countries in particular are absent, the US and Thailand. 

The demand for Baht has thus skyrocketed as high net worth individuals and corporation choose financial vehicles under Thai jurisdiction to avoid CRS.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Christie Paul said:

The demand for Baht has thus skyrocketed as high net worth individuals and corporation choose financial vehicles under Thai jurisdiction to avoid CRS.

You have any reference's for this (stats on money moved) as otherwise I am shaking my head in disbelief........:unsure:

• Like 1