Thai approved insurer rejected the coverage

16 minutes ago, sead said:

My friend just bought a condo in Spain. The best thing he has ever done. Everything is cheaper than Thailand. The airplane tickets is 70 euro from Sweden.  I have now discussed it with my gf and we will take a trip to check it out in March..

Math is not yours ????

Gas 1.29 Euro vs 27 Baht

Electricity 0.22 Euro vs 5.5 Baht

Marlboro 4.5 Euro vs 80 Baht

Running a red light 90-300 Euro vs 500-1000 Baht

But yes, as you are coming from Sweden ... Beer is cheaper ????

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Math is not yours ????

Gas 1.29 Euro vs 27 Baht

Well I don’t smoke or run red lights....so a bit more for electricity and gas....  Spain it is

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes for sure, it was the particular travel-insurance company you dealt with.

When you buy travel-insurance in your home-country, most will offer specific-period policies as well as annual policies, that can be extended.  Typically when you need a travel-insurance longer than 2-3 months, it is cheaper to take an annual policy.  However such an annual policy typically is valid for a certain duration of your trip, after which you need to return to your home-country, before your next trip will be covered again.

My travel-insurance policy (less than 300 US $ annual premium) covers trips of 6 months, after which I need to return for 2 weeks to my home-country, before my next trip will be once again covered for 6 months.  Suits me fine as I visit my home-country once or twice a year.

When I stay longer than 6 months I cover the uninsured periods with on-the-fly travel-insurance.

FYI > My travel-insurance policy has UNLIMITED coverage of all accidents/illnesses I might encounter (with a very small deductable), and does include re-patriation at no cost, in case of accidents/illnesses that require treatment in my home-country.

You might want to check the small print. It was a strategy I considered until I found 'must be ordinarily resident' (UK) clause ,which of course you wouldn’t be as any cursory check of your passport would reveal.In the UK ???????? insurers etc. have access to the electoral role (central register of who lives at the property) too. Any claim would require passport and air ticket copies so you would not get away with it.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, Langsuan Man said:

With all due respect from the TV leader on all things Immigration, when has Thai Immigration ever learned from past mistakes ?

Why don't have people health insurance when they are younger and wait till they old and have problems getting one?

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Math is not yours ????

Gas 1.29 Euro vs 27 Baht

Running a red light in Spain was 300Euro last time I checked

But in Thailand I only had to pay 200 Baht - well the wife paid it actually - quietly via the passenger window so no one would see ????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

You might want to check the small print. It was a strategy I considered until I found 'must be ordinarily resident' (UK) clause ,which of course you wouldn’t be as any cursory check of your passport would reveal.In the UK ???????? insurers etc. have access to the electoral role (central register of who lives at the property) too. Any claim would require passport and air ticket copies so you would not get away with it.

Thanks for your well-intended message, and indeed it could be a risk for me when my travel-insurance company would deny any claims because me not being a 'real' resident of my home-country, as I stay more than 10 months a year in Thailand.

Another TVF member (OZ) once told me that I would DEFINITELY not be covered by my travel-policy.

Obviously that was a concern for me, so I checked all the small-print but there is no mention of exclusion for being long-term abroad.  Only my official residence has to be in my home-country (and it is).  

To make absolutely sure, I even did write them about this possible issue.  And they replied swiftly that there would be no issue at all and that I would be fully covered for any accidents/illnesses occuring while staying over in Thailand during the 6-month period of coverage for every trip their policy covers.

Guess I am lucky with such a generous policy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sead said:

My friend just bought a condo in Spain. The best thing he has ever done. Everything is cheaper than Thailand. The airplane tickets is 70 euro from Sweden.  I have now discussed it with my gf and we will take a trip to check it out in March..

Some parts of Spain are really nice (and cheap).  But when you have the chance, do check out neighboring Portugal, which in my opinion is way more attractive than Spain (big difference in attitude and lifestyle).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mokwit said:

Effectively they have changed the deal on OA holders without grandfathering. This is not a good precedent and not the only recent example. The fact that a workaround is currently available if you fulfill new criteria does not make it any less an official changing of the deal - especially as this workaround could be due to error/oversight.

Thailand has eroded ALL my trust............. I think ALL expats will do good to look at other countries (including HOME country) to escape to....... If YOU don't do it (look and research) NOW, YOU will be 'Hard Pressed' to do it at the last moment....... With this Government that just wants 'More Money'...... There is NO HOPE LEFT'...... SO... Plan ahead.... OR BE 'sorry'.......

If we are LUCKY............. Another gov't will come along soon.... IF NOT...... cover your 'back-side'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

YOU ARE.... Sooooo Right............  I have been 'burned' pretty bad, a few times BECAUSE I DIDN'T READ....... the small print....... NOW.... I won't do anything.... until I read their 'sneaky' FINE PRINT...... If you don't read the small print..... BEND OVER, and prepare to 'Groan'.....

21 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes for sure, it was the particular travel-insurance company you dealt with.

When you buy travel-insurance in your home-country, most will offer specific-period policies as well as annual policies, that can be extended.  Typically when you need a travel-insurance longer than 2-3 months, it is cheaper to take an annual policy.  However such an annual policy typically is valid for a certain duration of your trip, after which you need to return to your home-country, before your next trip will be covered again.

My travel-insurance policy (less than 300 US $ annual premium) covers trips of 6 months, after which I need to return for 2 weeks to my home-country, before my next trip will be once again covered for 6 months.  Suits me fine as I visit my home-country once or twice a year.

When I stay longer than 6 months I cover the uninsured periods with on-the-fly travel-insurance.

FYI > My travel-insurance policy has UNLIMITED coverage of all accidents/illnesses I might encounter (with a very small deductable), and does include re-patriation at no cost, in case of accidents/illnesses that require treatment in my home-country.

I would appreciate it if you would PM me the name of the company and the name of the particular policy. Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I would appreciate it if you would PM me the name of the company and the name of the particular policy. Thanks in advance.

Will PM you the policy as well as the website of the insurance-provider (EA is the abbreviation).

However, in order to subscribe to that extremely generous travel-insurance policy, you need to be a Belgian citizen or residing in Belgium.

Equally generous policies are available in the Netherlands.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, Pib said:

Probably her only option now is to switch to a Non-O visa which does not require medical insurance. 

She can get a Non-O by doing a few days trip to a nearby Thai embassy like in Laos....or she could do a border exit with immediate reentry to get a Exempt entry and then convert to a Non-O at her servicing immigration office.  Switching to a Non-O has been talked extensively recently on ThaiVisa.

You are correct an O does not need health cover, but, why would the following comment have been made to me on my  retirement renewal earlier this month by the IO.

" Dont forget health insure next renewal"" my reply, ah but that for OA, the IO reply, no that what falang want to think. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:51 PM, DrJack54 said:

Just prior to reading Sheryl advice, I was about to post Pib #3 had it covered.

However Sheryl has it completely covered. 

If ever insurance becomes mandatory across the board I will obtain elite or balance time outside of los as per item 3. 

Good excuse to spend some time Vietnam.

Don't think it will come to that.

While I'm at it ...that's Sheryl for all your info to us "less informed" in 2019. Ta

Vietnam has changed its VISA rules 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

You are correct an O does not need health cover, but, why would the following comment have been made to me on my  retirement renewal earlier this month by the IO.

" Dont forget health insure next renewal"" my reply, ah but that for OA, the IO reply, no that what falang want to think. 

Most probably a personal opinion/interpretation of the officer and I strongly doubt that it is based on insider-information of IO's next move in this disaster health-insurance saga.

In the thread linked below some interesting points of view are raised by senior members of the TVF community re the gloomy possibility that

- Extensions for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa might also require health-insurance at a later stage;

- Non Imm O - retirement Visa might be phased out completely at a later stage.

Personally I do not think - for a variety of reasons - that either of the above will happen.

But this is LoS (land of surprises), so need to be prepared...

7 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I have mentioned before- if you  are doing a retirement extension OA ( (and having been here for a few years ) at Jomtien- there is no mention of requiring health insurance. Hopefully that will continue.

That would be GRAND news if it were true!

On 12/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, wgdanson said:

So you spend 500k on an Elite Visa. What would you do if you were hospitalised?

and why would you want to be putting 500k in THEIR pockets every 5 years? It is my understanding, and correct me if it is wrong please, that the elite visa must be renewed every 5 years ( 20 for the 1 million baht visa ) instead of doing extensions of stay, and even then monetarily you're in deficit. 5 years of health insurance premiums plus 5 extentions of stay at my age will cost less than 1/2 of an elite visa. So I don't see the value in it. If after 5 years you can do extensions of stay then perhaps it may be worth considering as an alternative option.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

and why would you want to be putting 500k in THEIR pockets every 5 years? It is my understanding, and correct me if it is wrong please, that the elite visa must be renewed every 5 years ( 20 for the 1 million baht visa ) instead of doing extensions of stay, and even then monetarily you're in deficit. 5 years of health insurance premiums plus 5 extentions of stay at my age will cost less than 1/2 of an elite visa. So I don't see the value in it. If after 5 years you can do extensions of stay then perhaps it may be worth considering as an alternative option.

And what if you were unable to get health insurance ?

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And what if you were unable to get health insurance ?

I am sure that there is some company who will insure almost anyone for a Bht 500k premium.

Then have a bit stashed in the bank for outpatient treatment. 

On 12/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, Sheryl said:

From what you describe she should reapply to other insurers and this time stick solely to the questions asked and answer them clearly but don't give extraneous information.

Curious do the insurance companies here keep a group database of people who apply for and were rejected Insurance (In the US the insurance companies are allowed to share such information among carriers)?

Edited by sfokevin

On December 25, 2019 at 8:18 PM, Alice Jone said:

My friend who is living here based on non-OA. Thai approved insurer rejected her application citing her health history. Can anyone advise

A single company?

i contacted an agent with age and health info and she gave me names of two insurers that would most likely accept my application and what their underwriting requirements and prices would be.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I am sure that there is some company who will insure almost anyone for a Bht 500k premium.

Then have a bit stashed in the bank for outpatient treatment. 

Actually no there is not. Not among any in the Imm list.  Thai insurers don't tend to be very creative.