US man detained in Thailand over bullet in luggage

webfact

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

It's not just a single bullet to be careful about. What is one were to handle ammo or a recently fired gun the day of or day before a flight, and then got one of those swab tests at the airport, of one's person or luggage? 

I work airside and often shoot at a range before I go to work. I have never tested positive even wearing the same clothing, without washing my hands and firing many rounds through handguns less than an hour before being swabbed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't automatically draw conclusions one way or the other.

Anytime Thailand is involved, I automatically think "scam".  They simply cannot think in any other terms.

They EXIST to rip you off and destroy your life.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don’t think this is a scam. In similar situations too many people cry ‘scam’ too soon without any real indications of a scam... The seems to be what it is.. a guy who accidentally left a bullet in his baggage. 

What is extremely disappointing is the manner in which this is being treated - its one bullet, an obvious mistake or not, one bullet can hardly be seen as a threat, unfortunately common sense has not been permitted to prevail and this situation is being handled with a degree of extreme clumsiness a 3rd country excels in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RasiMike said:

I work airside and often shoot at a range before I go to work. I have never tested positive even wearing the same clothing, without washing my hands and firing many rounds through handguns less than an hour before being swabbed. 

They're swabbing for traces explosives, not gunpowder residue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Anytime Thailand is involved, I automatically think "scam".  They simply cannot think in any other terms.

They EXIST to rip you off and destroy your life.

Oh no, another one who woke up sober wrapped around a ladyboy.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

2nd guy in a month to be found with a single bullet in his bag. Same airport. On the way out. Yea, it’s a coincidence. What are the odds?

You post again without answering a direct question.  Answer this:

Now answer me this.  What kind of scam doesn't involve the asking of a bribe to make the trouble go away?  In the article it says they paid bail money and he was released but can't leave the country pending a court appearance.   That, by definition, is legitimate police action, not a scam.  A scam would involve the threat of police action but pay the money and it'll go away - that didn't happen.  So, explain the scam that involves no money changing hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Exactly. ????

Some of my co-workers do however give off a positive reading quite regularly.... Sugar cane farmers who've been recently applying nitrogen based fertilizer. 

8 minutes ago, RasiMike said:
11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Exactly. ????

Some of my co-workers do however give off a positive reading quite regularly.... Sugar cane farmers who've been recently applying nitrogen based fertilizer. 

Why would anyone least of all the BIB be concerned about traces of explosive?  

No bullet has been produced in either of these cases. Let me state that again, NO bullet was ever shown to the accused. That is right, they just say there is a bullet in your luggage and then you are in it up to your eyeballs. Two years in jail and a 80,000 B fine. They can milk you for months. Bullets, when don't no stinking  oops wrong line

Gold Hat: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RasiMike said:

Thanks and that is good to know, since this very thing has made me nervous in the past. But it doesn't make me very confident that the swab tests are protecting us. I believe you, but if you are right then what are the swab tests even good for? And now reading the above, is there really that much difference between gunpowder and explosive powder? OK, different chemicals.

Edited by Enzian
Add detail.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What is extremely disappointing is the manner in which this is being treated - its one bullet, an obvious mistake or not, one bullet can hardly be seen as a threat, unfortunately common sense has not been permitted to prevail and this situation is being handled with a degree of extreme clumsiness a 3rd country excels in.

One bullet does not sound as a big problem but there is always(not saying this case)

a possibility of a conspiracy.What if six people all carry one bullet and a few others carry parts of a gun,you see what i mean?

And what law enforcement likes to say,'You know in this day and age'.

It would be nice to know if the guy owns guns and what caliber,if he owns guns

with the same caliber it could very well be possible?

Not so sure this is a scam.

People pass security with forbidden things often i think.

• Confused 1

As as American Ex-Army I own many weapons. Weapons that have would and have put me on the FBI watch list. 

I can say I have a few bags I take to the gun range with me with lots of Ammo. Still you'd have to be an idiot for this to happen. My travel bags never carry ammo of any sort. I did get stopped in China with a Key Knife on my key ring I forgot was there. 

Accidents happen. 

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

This is not a case of a guy leaving a bullet in his luggage by mistake. If that were the case, it would have been spotted on his way out to Thailand 100%. Someone at the airport put it in his bag hoping to get their hands on a wad of thousand baht bills by way of extortion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, yogi100 said:

We're always hear about falangs driving vehicles getting shaken down by Thai cops, why should the airport plod be any different. 

Do you drive a car here?  What shakedowns have you experienced?

I've been driving here for over 20 years.  I've only ever been in trouble when I've done something wrong (illegal U-turns and the like).  I've also had a couple of tickets in the post.  Been stopped at many checkpoints but always waved through when I've showed my license.  I've also been stopped and breathalysed twice and then thanked and waved away when I've passed.  

I've been involved in two major accidents here - neither my fault but the other driver tried to blame me in both cases.  Police came down on my side in both cases and I was treated very courteously and fairly.

I understand motorbikes are more troublesome as they can stop you for many technical reasons that are hard to avoid (going outside the left lane, using a flyover etc).

So tell me about your shakedowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post linking to the Bangkok Post has been removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com

In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Just now, SteveK said:

This is not a case of a guy leaving a bullet in his luggage by mistake. If that were the case, it would have been spotted on his way out to Thailand 100%. Someone at the airport put it in his bag hoping to get their hands on a wad of thousand baht bills by way of extortion.

If you read the thread you will see many people have got through with bullets in their bags in the US, even with a loaded gun on them - not detected, not stopped.  So your 100% is absolutely incorrect.

And he wasn't asked for a bribe.  He has paid police bail and is awaiting a court appearance.

So please explain the extortion.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Update on the bullet-in-bag episode from several weeks ago:

Home for Christmas: Hanover fire chief back in United States after being detained in Thailand 

He said his father has opened up a little about his time in Thailand and the court process and trial that had taken place. However, (his son) Dominic said they don’t yet have any new information to share.

“He didn’t get into the nitty-gritty of the trial,” Dominic said.

https://observer-reporter.com/news/localnews/home-for-christmas-hanover-fire-chief-back-in-united-states/article_5b4a3982-27ef-11ea-a762-7bfc732c3b0a.html

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Update on the bullet-in-bag episode from several weeks ago:

Home for Christmas: Hanover fire chief back in United States after being detained in Thailand 

He said his father has opened up a little about his time in Thailand and the court process and trial that had taken place. However, (his son) Dominic said they don’t yet have any new information to share.

“He didn’t get into the nitty-gritty of the trial,” Dominic said.

https://observer-reporter.com/news/localnews/home-for-christmas-hanover-fire-chief-back-in-united-states/article_5b4a3982-27ef-11ea-a762-7bfc732c3b0a.html

It is strange - again it seems like it wasn't a scam.  There was no bribe requested and he went through a legal process.

• Like 1