Happy New Year....immigration swoop on 83 year old Brit on 4,929 day overstay

rooster59

24 minutes ago, lwn320 said:

Why is it that, police in Thailand always seem to find the oldest and most vulnerable of expats. I doubt wether they would arrest a strapping 6 foot overstayer or probably when he first overstayed he was a strapping 6 footer and they waited till he was old enough for the police to handle. 

Plenty of your strapping 6-footers have had the details of their overstays and arrests reported in the press.  

Swooped like a flight of eagles from on high to pick up their prey.

I wonder was he giventhe opportunity to pack a case of clothes and belongings.

Will he have access to any funds held in Thai bank accounts?

Did not complete his TM30 it seems

Home to a cold winter that will test his reserves, silly old codger, probably hoping he could die in his sleep 

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Victimless crime that shouldn't be shouted about, they should be embarrassed at their incompetence.

Silly old <deleted> probably bragged about it in a bar/noodleshop a was overheard.

Regardless, he has overstayed has breached the regulations, wonder does he still have a passport.

Usually you need to be stopped for some reason to have papers checked, and then it becomes known you are illegal, he obviously was not stopped, and never went to immigration to file TM30, where is the incompetnce of not knowing where this particular person was residing, if he had not come to their attention?

Edited by RJRS1301

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
11 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Has anyone stopped to think that the 83 year old man might have been suffering from Alzheimer's for years?

Yes. Quite possibly. Where is the compassion? 

Much more likely that he's not an Alzheimer sufferer but, even if he is, are they exempt from the visa regs?

You're asking about compassion but there is no indication that the IOs are not being compassionate.  He's been arrested, yes (what else would they be expected to do?) but that doesn't mean that no compassion has been shown subsequently.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

10 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

If you are talking about the UK then you are wrong.

Overstayers will be visited by immigration and assessed. 

Absolutely definitely not arrested if they are just overstayers. 

The immigration/police will then come back at a later date and give them a court date

You are mixing up overstayers and illegals

Overstayers in the UK will be arrested initially, I'm not mixing up anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Because he won't be in 'the system' after 13 years of avoiding immigration.  They probably have him down as having left years ago. 

How can he not be in the system?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-change-in-tm30-tm28-reporting-says-phuket-immigration-74237.php

When he stay in a hotel, the hotel will report his stay.

If he stayed in a rented condo, the condo owner has to report his stay.

If he had left, wouldn't the computer system show that.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Morality: For many Thais Old farang, Mia farang and Leung kreung kids are low excrement to whom seat priority doesn't apply.

Pretty much how I view Thais in Australia especially rich ones who think they can pay their Thai staff a pittance in cash with no tax or super.

I have the ATO hot line on speed dial.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If arrested as he was why would you assume he would be able to dodge the usual horror of that situation? 

a)  Because he's in Hua Hin.

b)  Because perhaps, being 83-years old he's being shown some compassion by the authorities.  Why would you assume that he isn't?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How can he not be in the system?

When he stay in a hotel, the hotel will report his stay.

If he stayed in a rented condo, the condo owner has to report his stay.

How did he survive for 13 years in Thailand without any income? 

He may well have had ancome from overseas paid into either an overseas account he could access or transferred into a local account

Or head of local criminal mafia ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes.."jobsworths" is a more than adequate description..

I presume that they "swooped" via parachute...all those "wings" the muppets display.

All these officials and jobsworths with their para wings on their uniforms make me smile.

I used to teach a very nice guy at the NACC, a deputy secretary general, who came to work in his uniform one day, complete with para wings.

Many years ago, I was in the SAS Reserves (23 Regt, really) and did my 2 week para training at the old RAF Abingdon No 1 PTS so I asked him about his training.

He was a bit shame-faced when he told me that it turns out all they have to do is ONE jump from a 30 foot tower - not even one live jump from a balloon or aircraft!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pathetic, let him live out his last days here. Whoever gave the OK for this raid is lacking in basic human sympathy. I used to be a bureaucrat, and a strictly straight down the line guy, but even I wouldn't have authorised this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

All these officials and jobsworths with their para wings on their uniforms make me smile.

I used to teach a very nice guy at the NACC, a deputy secretary general, who came to work in his uniform one day, complete with para wings.

Many years ago, I was in the SAS Reserves (23 Regt, really) and did my 2 week para training at the old RAF Abingdon No 1 PTS so I asked him about his training.

He was a bit shame-faced when he told me that it turns out all they have to do is ONE jump from a 30 foot tower - not even one live jump from a balloon or aircraft!  

If they survive from 30 feet, they have earned em I guess not even enough time to open a shute really

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

orders from Thailand immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang to rid Thailand of unwanted criminal elements and foster peace and stability in the kingdom.

and then nabbing this probably harmless poor <deleted> for just overstay (this might well be may be his death sentence)

.... disgusting and merciless

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

If they survive from 30 feet, they have earned em I guess not even enough time to open a shute really

The tower is not practice for joining the Pattaya Flying Club, The jumper wears a harness attached to a rope which in turn is attached to a fan.  The fan slows the rate of descent sufficiently to simulate an actual parachute landing.  i did it once. Scared me witless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

This goes to show these TM30 and 90day reportings are a waste of time. 

Why do immigration need to take 13 years to nap an overstayer when everything is in the computer system?

This is laughable.

His overstay probably predates the implementation of computer records.

• Like 1