Retirement visa renewal at Jomtien

2 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I did my 90 day report last Thursday at Jomtien. Put 100 baht in bank to get book updated that same day. Had to wait 10 min or so, then to desk. Had bank book out, didn't need it or ask for it. Wham bam and out of there.

Friend went this morning, no wait, no bank book check for same 90 day report.

Maybe those with problems need to dress a little neater? Long pants?

I believe the bank book check at Jomtien is a one time check 3 months after receiving a 1 year extension. It has nothing to do with 90 day reports which you do if you are continuously in the country for 90 days. 

3 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I did my 90 day report last Thursday at Jomtien. Put 100 baht in bank to get book updated that same day. Had to wait 10 min or so, then to desk. Had bank book out, didn't need it or ask for it. Wham bam and out of there.

Jomtien is not checking to see the money still in bank when 90 day reports are done.

They do it once 90 days from the day you apply for your extension.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

If true, this is more grist to the mill of Jomtien now being a rogue office, I think - on top of hand-drawn maps & photos for retirement extensions plus a compulsory return trip after 90 days for retirees using the 400k/800k bank balance method.

My last extension a breeze (no map), never asked for TM30, 90 day reports done quickly on-line. I will take that over  what Chiangmai used to do to Expats. Phuket and Samui give me an idea of awkwardness too. Just the 800k / 3 month to prove and I had to remind them to remind me on that!

I hope recent reports are not a bad sign though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Thats very new...Jomtien are renowned for keeping things simple. Sounds like an inexperienced IO confusing marriage extension requirements

I had to do a map and had a home visit for a retirement extension at Sri Ratcha(Chonburi Immigration) a year ago November.

A map has to have the Thai language so the IO doing a home visit can find the way.

19 hours ago, baansgr said:

Jomtien only require proof of funds once on 90 days after extension

...other offices are apparently asking proof every 90 days for the whole period...jomtoin is not a rogue office...its one of the few Thai bodies that is run professionally, the amount of people they have to service everyday, they do a fantastic job.

Out of around 45 immigration offices, I think Jomtien is one of the very few, if not the only one, to ask for financial verification 90 days after renewing an extension.  Under normal circumstances it is a requirement for your next extension, when, if you've not abided by the rules, your extension will be refused.

I'm curious as to which offices are asking ongoing proof through the year!

21 hours ago, jaideedave said:

<deleted>! And they wonder why expats are leaving or are at least considering it. 

What makes you think they wonder why a few expats are leaving or if they would know what people may or may not be considering? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

What about a Google Map with hand drawn annotations on it? Works for me.

I have never been asked for a map at Jomtien Immigration. And photos are only for an extension based on marriage. The immigration officer must have been a newbie.

• Thanks 1

There is just no need to ask for financial verification 90 days after renewing an extension.

At next annual extension simply look at bank book transaction page to verify everything and stop with all the hassles.

Clearly not required  as not a universal check at other immigration offices anyway.

what happens when done annual retirement extension but leaving country before the 90 day financial verification for 6 months or could even be longer? Just have to assume it will not matter when return to do following annual extension a year later?

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

The OP's experience, coming as it does on top of the absurd requirement for those using the 400k/800k bank balance method to return after 90 days with their passbooks, means that Jomtien can now IMHO be safely regarded as a rogue office these days when it comes to retirement extensions.

You don't return with a pass book. You return with 2 copies from the pass book and 2 copies from the passport,and just once, after 90 days. 

I am sorry I dont believe it. 90 day report 2 weeks ago in and out, less than 5 minutes. No mention of TM 30 for retirement extensions. I know people who have done retirement extensions at Jomtien, no mention of any map or photos, only for marriage extensions.

Edited by jimn
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is not just Jomtien.  I was asked for both map and photos of house (with me in front of it) when I did my retirement extension at Prachinburi last July.  First time ever asked for these things in 15 years of extensions.

I beleive Parchinburi and Jomtien fall under the same Immigration sub-division. Likely something came down the line from the head honcho of that sub-division.

The really absurd parts: they insisted the picture of me at my house had to shoe the house number. There is no house number on the house. So at their advice I hand printed a sign. !!!

Add to that: they do not need any of this to find me as they know exactly where I live, in fact one of the IOs is a neighbor,

I did my last extension at Jomtien Immigration in May last year and a friend of mine a few months later and another one in October. No one asked for maps or photos and it's not in the list of requirements for an extension based on retirement in Jomtien. Who has photos of the condo in his pocket when visiting immigration when they haven't required it earlier? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pellets said:

Well, i did my yearly Retirement extension at Jomtien 9/11, as i do every year, 
NO question about anything, as usual.
Are you possibly mixing up "Marriage Extension" and "Retirement Extension"?

Think the poster you quote would know if applied based on marriage vs retirement.

The paperwork not remotely similar.

43 minutes ago, pellets said:

Well, i did my yearly Retirement extension at Jomtien 9/11, as i do every year, 
NO question about anything, as usual.
Are you possibly mixing up "Marriage Extension" and "Retirement Extension"?

No. I'm on retirement extension.

5 hours ago, Emdog said:

I think you got things a bit mixed up,  never been ask for a bank book when reporting 90 days at window 4!

There is current two 90 day reporting which one are you referring?  The one at Window 4, regular 90 days report or the Retirement Extension 90 day report which is Window 8?

3 hours ago, twix38 said:

Simply no need to do this as it achieves nothing that can't be done and checked at annual renewal. 

A pointless additional 90 day financial check pain in the ****

Lots of things we have to do here seem pointless....but the point is really that we have to do them anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Lots of things we have to do here seem pointless....but the point is really that we have to do them anyway.

The point is why would showing bankbook be required at Jomtien 3 month post granting of extension and at MOST other imm office it is not required. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Out of around 45 immigration offices, I think Jomtien is one of the very few, if not the only one, to ask for financial verification 90 days after renewing an extension. 

Again: I have never been asked for any verification at my 90 day report at Jomtien. First 90 day report at this last extension was in December.
3 minutes after i walked in, everything done, and i was out of the building again.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think the poster you quote would know if applied based on marriage vs retirement.

The paperwork not remotely similar.

SOME of the posts mention "Marriage Extension" some not, that`s the reason.
After 20 years here at Jomtien, i know the difference...

Edited by pellets
Additional info.
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The point is why would showing bankbook be required at Jomtien 3 month post granting of extension and at MOST other imm office it is not required. 

I think that you missed my point.