Bad day at CM Imm: Retirement extension

OP, sounds like your being hard done by.

Your last resort option if your statements from BB fail would be to exit Thailand re-enter visa exempt and start over. Could you obtain more money from o/s to build up the 500k and use money in bank method with conversion of ve to non o at imm.

Would you consider an agent as alternative. Poor suggestions but last resort stuff.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the issue is. BATHNET transactions are clearly foreign deposits and you should be able to get an FET (foreign Exchange Transaction) form from your bank. I used then to prove that some of my pension deposits were authentic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, sounds like your being hard done by.

Your last resort option if your statements from BB fail would be to exit Thailand re-enter visa exempt and start over. Could you obtain more money from o/s to build up the 500k and use money in bank method with conversion of ve to non o at imm.

Would you consider an agent as alternative. Poor suggestions but last resort stuff.

Thanks, worth considering. 

I had always thought the income method was sufficient. I will probably now bring my deposit account up to 800k and be done with it. I was resisting letting someone else decide what to do with my funds. We have money sitting around unused in the States, just never thought that parking it here doing nothing was beneficial, given that the income method worked OK in the past. But it's too late for this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I don't understand what the issue is. BATHNET transactions are clearly foreign deposits and you should be able to get an FET (foreign Exchange Transaction) form from your bank. I used then to prove that some of my pension deposits were authentic.

I'll ask about the FET form. Good idea. Thanks!

I don't understand either. Imm evidently thinks it makes a difference. That's the only stumbling block. I vaguely recall someone mentioning last year that certain domestic transfers are marked as BAHTNET.

Edited by LawrenceN

You have enough funds on deposit and incoming every month to qualify for a marriage visa, I recently converted my O-A visa reason for stay in Chiang Mai from retirement to marriage, I suggest you do the same. The agent who did this for me was Assist Thaivisa, the cost was 8,900 Baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I never understand why people have pensions, etc. transferred directly into Thai accounts.

From my experience, a total resolution to the transfer issue is to have them sent into your home country bank.

Then, wire transfer to BKB they will post as " international transfer".

Yes, it cost me $25 so what no issues or hassles so far.

I gave you a 'like' for this, but I don't really understand. My pension fund is doing a wire transfer, at no cost to me. I think I understand from my multiple trips to the bank today is that my pension company uses Standard Charter as an intermediary, so it looks like BAHTNET.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I gave you a 'like' for this, but I don't really understand. My pension fund is doing a wire transfer, at no cost to me. I think I understand from my multiple trips to the bank today is that my pension company uses Standard Charter as an intermediary, so it looks like BAHTNET.

I had a similar issue with my pension payments. They came in via CitiBank and showed up as BATHNET. However the aforementioned FET made it quite clear to even the densest IO that it was a foreign transaction. It even gave the name and address of the source. I think this will resolve your problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LivinLOS said:

What he is saying is.. Given you need to control the houw and the when of pension payments.. Instead of dealing with Thai banking and all the communication and issues.. 

Pay the pension into an account in your home country (My suggestion was transferwise as it is easy to set up and global.. but any home bank will do) aggregate all your incoming amounts there.. then YOU control the timing and system of payments. 

What I still don't understand is, how will I know in advance that the transfer will show the FTT code that Imm demands? I could jump through a lot of hoops and still be on square 1. It's still gotta be transferred into BkkBk somehow. How do I control which method the sending institution uses? As I mentioned above, the pension fund wire transfers the money, but they do it without meeting the ACH standard that BB requires.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

What I still don't understand is, how will I know in advance that the transfer will show the FTT code that Imm demands? I could jump through a lot of hoops and still be on square 1. It's still gotta be transferred into BkkBk somehow. How do I control which method the sending institution uses? As I mentioned above, the pension fund wire transfers the money, but they do it without meeting the ACH standard that BB requires.

Direct bank to bank international overseas transfers have that code.. Your pension service presumably uses a partner bank or clearing bank (more common with americans than europeans I think). 

Or as I suggested, using transferwise which has a specific option to send it that way, and has that code. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I had a similar issue with my pension payments. They came in via CitiBank and showed up as BATHNET. However the aforementioned FET made it quite clear to even the densest IO that it was a foreign transaction. It even gave the name and address of the source. I think this will resolve your problem.

What Immigration office do you use? My impression is that Chiang Mai is rigid and makes up rules as they go. It didn't seem to matter today that I could demonstrate the source of the funds. They just wanted to see the magic FTT code in the statements. Can anyone confirm that they used Moonlover's method, the FET, and got the desired results at Chiang Mai?

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Direct bank to bank international overseas transfers have that code.. Your pension service presumably uses a partner bank or clearing bank (more common with americans than europeans I think). 

Or as I suggested, using transferwise which has a specific option to send it that way, and has that code. 

I like the Transferwise idea, will probably go with that. Thanks!

OP, just one added point. If CM won't accept your additional info and you end up being forced to start over with new non o, keep in mind you can obtain one at consulates outside of Thailand. The one important difference is that you do not have to demonstrate the origin of the funds. As you already have 500k in Thai bank and only need add 300k more it may suit you better. 

Side note if you can afford it stick 800k in FD account and just leave it.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I never understand why people have pensions, etc. transferred directly into Thai accounts.

From my experience, a total resolution to the transfer issue is to have them sent into your home country bank.

Some have the problem to keep the bank in their home country. Not every country have the same standards for who is allowed to keep an open account. Or it was the easiest way at that time.

Else I would agree (if you still have an home country bank-account) put your pensions there and transfer little bit more than the minimum required... and if you need more money.. wait for good/better exchange rate.

Speak in English, ask to see a Senior Officer and ask him or her what you are to do, pointing out that you can not change the past. They know that it is a technicality but they must be under instructions to treat every applicant as a new applicant.  

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's appalling that your IO doesn't accept the foreign origin of the funds on your bank-account, even though - as you rightly mention - every reasonable person can see that the money was deposited from the same source to the same account in the same amount as it had been. Unfortunately, reasonable people aren't employed at CM Immigration.

From the opening post of this topic I understand that that the OP has not yet submitted to immigration the bank's letter confirming the foreign source of the income. It is this letter that matters to immigration, not the codes in the bank book.

13 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Oh, by the way, the mixed Income/deposit method no longer appears to be an option at CM. I have 500,000+ on deposit, but Imm wasn't interested in adding the monthly verifiable FTT deposit.

The revised version of the requirements for the retirement extension (Police Order 548/2562) no longer has the combination of income and money in the bank as an option.

//Edit: The Police Order does allow the combination of income and money in the bank.

Edited by Maestro
As per my edit note.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Maestro said:

The revised version of the requirements for the retirement extension (Police Order 548/2562) no longer has the combination of income and money in the bank as an option.

Are you sure about that?

That seems to be about health insurance for O-A.

From your link second page item (5) is about the combination method.

So you're saying that is gone now?

I'm not seeing that.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Are you sure about that?

That seems to be about health insurance for O-A.

From your link second page item (5) is about the combination method.

So you're saying that is gone now?

I'm not seeing that.

Oops, I read the Police Order too fast and missed that paragraph (5) specifically allows the combination of income and money in the bank.

Thank you catching the error, Jingthing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You have a good bank, HSBC increased my international transfers from $22 to $50. No wonder the banks are rich.

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

From the opening post of this topic I understand that that the OP has not yet submitted to immigration the bank's letter confirming the foreign source of the income. It is this letter that matters to immigration, not the codes in the bank book.

I guess I neglected to say that above. BB won't certify that the deposits came from abroad. The asst. mgr. says her hands are tied by regulations. Someone suggested requesting an FET. I plan to do that.