UK Pensions and related info

-not much traction in this thread,never will be

All Boris has to state is  increase of state pension for everybody,none of the 1946 stupidity that prevails.  Save a ton of money,no international pension transfer at DWP,paid into local UK bank,up to individual to arrange own transfer,this week alone would give pension increase of over 1% if done minweek  took all of 8 minutes to arrive from uk this week  

Something cringeworthy at OAP ,here for countless years,complaining greatly reduced pension late in arriving...as for frozen? does it not state in immigration stamp  as temporary stay in Kingdom,...anyway mr/ms  UK decision maker at DWP would not intervene,too      to stand up straight

first opening statement DWP penalties  ..no punishment...  if frozen OAP too thick or stupid to either read or comprehend up to him,deserves to lose the lot,quiet satisfaction as his non-rise is spread out to the unfrozen

..and as of little old 88 year old Annie managing on her 6 pounds a week OAP in Australia /Canada..that ain't quite true...made up from their respective countries welfare schemes,(just like PH)  lol   not quite true for little Annie in SA    more like a machete through the skull

Edited by izod10
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

sorry can you explain this in Normal terms ,are you saying the dwp would not prosecute if they caught you claiming ?

Look under PENALTIES   dwp type,    no nothing.      Now the only way any punishment ,by way of deductions would be any other benefit attached to it.  I can assume housing,,whatever....look it up

There will be posters along Im sure in next few hours,frightened of their own shadow type stating its not how it should be,sure is sunshine,just look it up

Edited by izod10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nong38 said:

I think it was last December when I brought all the sad news of the demise of Rajab Al Zarahini and I am assuming that this thread is now the updated version of the previous thread. John joined the thread a few years ago asking a simple question and asking for members views, he was coming up to retirement and did not need the State Pension at the time and was considering deferring taking it for 3 years in which time his State Pension would have increased by 10.4% pa. He would lose by not claiming his SP about 30K but would after 3 years have a enhanced pension and better life. At that time he was in apparently good health. The upgrade I think is now 5.2% and not 10.4% but I guess that there are still people who might consider this route that John took and its a strong lesson to consider how important health is as we get older and how it is only going to go one way and thats downwards but we all assume that it wont change until something happens and things do happen, things we were not expecting so anyone thinking of this route take note of the above. John lost out on 30K and never got see his enhanced pension, HMG won big time

The second point of what happened here is also worth noting. He had a wife in Thailand and a Condo, his wife here was well off he told me that and he did not need to support her. He also had a house in the UK which I gather he left to his daughter, I gathered this when his Thai wife rang to tell of his death and thought she was entitled to the house in the UK as well!

Wills, make sure you make out a will whilst you are still clear what you want to do to avoid any difficult situations when you gone, one for here and one for the UK if you still have interested there and mention in each will that it does not affect the other one, whats in Thailand stays in Thailand and whats in the UK stays in the UK. Use simple unambiguous words and get a couple of people to witness it and date it.

Just in case you think the UK is bad in the pensions game here is a local example.

When I first visited Thailand over 10 years ago anyone over 60 got a 600 bts pension, its still 600bts! Last year the maybe the year before the current administration suddenly and without any warning raised the threshold from 60 to 66 years, some people do not have a social conscience do they, especially rich people who do not understand what poverty is.

Good point about the Will. Remember that marriage invalidates a Will.

I have seen a situation where someone left property to children, then married a Thai but did not think to write a new Will.  As a consequence the original was invalid and the Thai widow was able to claim the property under the rules of intestacy.

• Thanks 1

Rajab Al Zarahini-   ...This is the guy that never let facts get in the way of a good story line. The originator of amongst other  "arrested at the airport on return to UK""crying all the way to courts attempting to have the OAP restored"   not a clue,but sounded good,threw many into the frozen pit  

Another story teller  the"its in there somewhere" working in tandem,quick 'phone call and the fear of God installed,Mork and Mindy at work ,both now dead,fact is Mindy also the originator by default of "Farang Tombstone"  benefits of property ownership in Thailand, and so he is,hes buried under it

Rajab,or as one poster rebadged him Raj-Bag  sure had a hair trigger on the report button

He stopped posting when challenged too many times on his story telling

Edit    From what I remember his last quote was" game set and match I think"   A right load of c.rap,knew he was in for a load of ridicule after that posting

Edited by izod10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, topt said:

I hope you are proud of yourself. Whether true or false the guy can hardly defend himself now can he.........

Ever heard of "Don't speak ill etc..... 

Some people :annoyed:

he could hardly defend himself when alive,kept asking later on when referencing the airport jibe to point it out,knew it was impossible as posts are removed from time to time,wish I had copied that one tho.    Just what damage that guy did to unnecessarily put ex-pats in a position that they had no option but to go frozen, and  eventually had no other option but to clear off back home ,

As soon as he started on the bunkum of  OAPensions effecting Universal Credit he lost it,domestic issue,not foreign 

• Haha 1

Interesting  article in today's "this is money.co.uk" about frozen pensions it seems that with the imminent withdrawal from the EU after 2020 people moving to the EU are likely to be treated the same as us. This is again the raising the issue, it wont go away, just keep chipping away at their resolve.

• Like 1

Of peripheral interest to the board:

Northern Ireland Troubles-related incident victims payments scheme

Key phrase:

*Anyone injured anywhere in the UK who meet the other eligibility criteria will be eligible for the scheme (regardless of residency). And any UK citizen, or person of NI, injured in Europe will be eligible.

Edited by evadgib

Overseas Pensions for UK OAPs is determined by a Reciprocal agreement.

If the overseas country your living in Pays increases to it's pensioners living in UK then UK is obliged to pay it's Old Age Pensioners their increase in State pension in that country.

Folk often query why living in the Philippines pays an increase when Thailand and Australia do not, in the case of Philippines I can only suggest the influence of the USA in years gone bye and Australia used to until they decided for whatever reason to cease the reciprocal agreement.

john 

MY friend of 99 who passed away last year once indicated that his UK monthly state pension for Old Age was £25 and had been so since he turned 65.

25 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Overseas Pensions for UK OAPs is determined by a Reciprocal agreement.

This will be overturned if;

a) UK enter into new agreements as a result of Brexit, &

b  ) If enough people that aren't yet caught up in it (ie the 40 to 65's) and their UK based relatives join the consortium and/or support the cause via social media.

I was gobsmacked to discover that just one person worldwide is a paid-up member of both the BPiA and CABP.....

(I have no idea how many paid up members live in Thailand but I doubt if it's more than 3-4% of the total living here)

Edited by evadgib

• 2 weeks later...

Have had an interesting exchange over the last couple of days with HMRC concerning tax on my UK state pension. The pension commenced early last year and has  been paid 4 weekly ever since.

Imagine my surprise when I received a couple of tax demands (2 tax years) last Saturday amounting to 20% tax on my pension receipts. These totaled to not far short of £2,000 due to no personal allowance deduction.

I have not worked in the UK for over 40 years but have had an NT tax code for most of that time due to being employed by a UK based company.

My first thought was a nationality issue so decided to register on the Government Gateway which included a passport check as part of the verification process. Once completed - an easy process which also allowed use of a Thai mobile number for the access code - I then had to wait for Monday to give them a call.

Rang them just after 8am UK time and got through straight away. Explained the problem and the initial advisor latched onto my NT status and seemed to suggest this was the justification for the tax deduction. I didn't accept that so was passed to another bod who had a clue. His first question was to ask my nationality. I indicated UK and also confirmed my recent GG registration. He immediately confirmed that an adjustment would be made to include PA's and that would be the end of any tax liability as I have no other UK income. Hard to believe that my tax records did not already have my nationality status, but there you go.

They acted quickly as I checked up today on my GG account and the tax demand had been reduced to Nil. Having to suffer a frozen pension is bad enough, but then to be hit with UK tax on top! I was getting a bit concerned closer to making contact with them as I could not recall a similar instance amongst all the posts on the pension topics on TV.  Anyway, alls well......!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Of peripheral interest to Veterans:

Veterans UK launches an improved website and looks to the future

The Veterans UK website has been overhauled with the help of veterans and their families. Finding your way around it is much simpler and the language used is easier to understand too.

You can find new content ‘hubs’ from the homepage or via an online search. Each focuses on specific needs of veterans and their families.

One of these hubs is called ‘Help and support when a Veteran or Service Person dies’. It is aimed at those who have suffered a bereavement and brings together everything needed, including forms, information about money that might be available and details of wellbeing support.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Of peripheral interest to Veterans:

Veterans UK launches an improved website and looks to the future

This topic is being morphed into veterans support information rather than UK pensions. I acknowledge that veterans will be UK pensioners however to prevent this topic becoming a free for all any non pension veteran issues should have their own thread.

23 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

This topic is being morphed into veterans support information rather than UK pensions. I acknowledge that veterans will be UK pensioners however to prevent this topic becoming a free for all any non pension veteran issues should have their own thread.

Several ???????? Pensioners or future old aged ???????? pensioners are also veterans and quite a few also receive Military pensions for time served and/or injuries sustained. Which part of that does not fit entirely within the parameters of a thread entitled "UK Pensions and related info" which has been running continuously since 2012 & when did you last contribute to the board?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Several ???????? Pensioners or future old aged ???????? pensioners are also veterans and quite a few also receive Military pensions for time served and/or injuries sustained. Which part of that does not fit entirely within the parameters of a thread entitled "UK Pensions and related info" which has been running continuously since 2012 & when did you last contribute to the board?

Should we open the thread to all aspects of the UK because at some point everybody is or will become pensioners.

For instance should we comment on Passports in this thread because British pensioners will likely have Passports.

All I am saying is to prevent polluting this topic why not request or start a separate topic for veterans.

The more the topic deviates from pensions the less interest it garner.

4 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Should we open the thread to all aspects of the UK because at some point everybody is or will become pensioners.

For instance should we comment on Passports in this thread because British pensioners will likely have Passports.

All I am saying is to prevent polluting this topic why not request or start a separate topic for veterans.

The more the topic deviates from pensions the less interest it garner.

Because anything positive concerning serving or recently retired personnel from any of the services is like shouting "Targettts UUPPP!" to the trolls. 

image.png.02bd0545e9b2b1a5e7ff587ebdc5aa57.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Because anything positive concerning serving or recently retired personnel from any of the services is like shouting "Targettts UUPPP!" to the trolls. 

image.png.02bd0545e9b2b1a5e7ff587ebdc5aa57.png

I remember him. No matter how much live ammunition I was given (usually 30 rounds a year) the only way I could kill him was beating him to death with the butt of my SLR.

I think that the armourer who set the sights up used to work in a fairground part time.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seen today. What about Brits/Pensioners in the RotW?

Charities and organisations will receive government funding to provide practical support for UK nationals living in the EU with their residency applications. This includes potentially at-risk groups such as pensioners and disabled people.

UK Government allocates £3 million to support UK nationals in the EU