Foreigner, 2 Thais hurt in East Pattaya motorbike collision

Rimmer

Foreigner, 2 Thais hurt in East Pattaya motorbike collision

Pattaya-News-3-N-Jan-14-04-Foreigner-and

PATTAYA:--A foreign man was left unconscious and two others hurt when two motorbikes collided in East Pattaya.

All unidentified, the victims were taken to a nearby hospital following the Jan. 14 wreck on the railway-parallel road behind Thamsamakee Temple.

Witnesses said the foreigner was driving a Yamaha X-Max with a Thai woman on the back when a Thai man in his early 20s cut them off to cross the train tracks. The two bikes collided and flew in different directions.

The foreigner suffered a serious head wound and was unconscious when paramedics arrived around 10 p.m. The two Thais suffered cuts and road rash.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-01-19—

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Fairly safe to assume a Thai in his 20”s has less than 20 baht in his wallet. Lucky for foreigner witness’s stated the Thai moron was in the wrong .

so foreigner will be covering his losses while thai moron will continue doing the same thing until he either kills himself or someone else .

Luckily for the foreigner, there were witnesses, and he will be covering his own damage and medical bills, but what if he was to lose a leg, or sustain some other catastrophic injury, the Thai guy should bet charged with serious driving / riding offenses, not matter how much, or how little money he has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Luckily for the foreigner, there were witnesses, and he will be covering his own damage and medical bills, but what if he was to lose a leg, or sustain some other catastrophic injury, the Thai guy should bet charged with serious driving / riding offenses, not matter how much, or how little money he has.

Farang also should have been more careful at those junctions

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Helmet?

Drunk?

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Luckily for the foreigner, there were witnesses, and he will be covering his own damage and medical bills, but what if he was to lose a leg, or sustain some other catastrophic injury, 

He has catastrophic head injury. Maybe die.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Drunk?

He has catastrophic head injury. Maybe die.

The OP said "serious head wound."  I accept that any wound to the head could be serious, but the use of the words "head wound" and "head injury" have different meanings.  

Head injury infers a brain injury. 

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Please allow me to laugh politely, and wish you happy further dreaming...

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The OP said "serious head wound."  I accept that any wound to the head could be serious, but the use of the words "head wound" and "head injury" have different meanings.  

Head injury infers a brain injury. 

You stand corrected, sir:

A head injury is any sort of injury to your brain, skull, or scalp. This can range from a mild bump or bruise to a traumatic brain injury. Common head injuries include concussions, skull fractures, and scalp wounds. ... A closed head injury is any injury that doesn't break your skull.

Edited by Bullie

The foreigner suffered a serious head wound and was unconscious when paramedics arrived around 10 p.m. The two Thais suffered cuts and road rash.

Riding such a big bike without a helmet is insane. I hope that he fully recovers, let's hope that the car had first class insurance.

If not, the chances are very slim to get anything paid. 

I accept that any wound to the head could be serious

2 minutes ago, Bullie said:

You stand corrected, sir:

A head injury is any sort of injury to your brain, skull, or scalp. This can range from a mild bump or bruise to a traumatic brain injury. Common head injuries include concussions, skull fractures, and scalp wounds. ... A closed head injury is any injury that doesn't break your skull.

Did you not read I said "I accept that any wound to the head could be serious?"  

Did the OP say the foreigner had "a closed head injury?" 

7 minutes ago, Bullie said:

Please allow me to laugh politely, and wish you happy further dreaming...

So, you say the guy has a serious head injury, but then you laugh, politely.

Well done, Sir.  Well done. 

You will last a long time in Thailand.  ????

Doesn't look like he wore a helmet, not even a cheapy. What a pity, he could have walked away from this. If he was drunk then defensive driving would have not be an option. Also a good idea to wear gloves with padded palms. I have a fingerless pair with gel grips to dampen the vibration. Instinctively, the first reaction you have while being thrown of your bike is to try and catch yourself using your hands. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

Doesn't look like he wore a helmet, not even a cheapy. What a pity, he could have walked away from this. If he was drunk then defensive driving would have not be an option. Also a good idea to wear gloves with padded palms. I have a fingerless pair with gel grips to dampen the vibration. Instinctively, the first reaction you have while being thrown of your bike is to try and catch yourself using your hands. 

Wearing all that protective gear while riding a scooter is like wearing a condom to do a crack whore.  Sure, it reduces the risk of injury and death, and it's a good idea.  But riding on a scooter is still 20-40x as dangerous as riding in a car.  You cross the safety Rubicon when you toss your leg over a scooter seat instead of buckling up in a 4 wheeler.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I travel down the railway road pretty much every day and it never ceases to amaze me the idiotic stunts that people pull to try to save a few seconds. Coming through any of the junctions is highly dangerous and you really have to be super on the ball. Just because you have right of way does not mean some fool will not do exactly what happened here.

I thought the only right of way in Thailand was that belonging to the bigger/faster vehicle. 

I totally agree with you about the Rot Fai road; the stupidity and selfishness of Thai drivers is evident every TWO minutes.  They will cross the road even though they can go nowhere and block off streams of traffic going straight on.  The resultant logjam blocks all four lanes in BOTH direction so their inane action gets them nowhere AND causes lots of others to be delayed also.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I travel down the railway road pretty much every day and it never ceases to amaze me the idiotic stunts that people pull to try to save a few seconds. Coming through any of the junctions is highly dangerous and you really have to be super on the ball. Just because you have right of way does not mean some fool will not do exactly what happened here.

Not 1 set of traffic lights or a give way sign or stop sign at any intersection along the rail line so it's buses and cement trucks first followed by speeding pick ups, cars, drunks, lunatics, bikes last unless they're drunk too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

The resultant logjam blocks all four lanes in BOTH direction so their inane action gets them nowhere AND causes lots of others to be delayed also.

Yes, and loads of taxis with their meters off too eh Mike...?