“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

24 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

But, there are official stats on this and 3 times as many people speak English in the Phils then Thailand. 

As I stated, many many more especially in the cities and tourist areas speak English in the Phils then here. Places like AC close to 100%.

What? A country, which was a US-colony and has English not only as its official language but also as school language from the third year on has more english speaking people than Thailand?

Unbelievable! You must be kidding.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

4 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Still think most Thai people are very nice but encountering more and more xenophobics, rude behaviors everyday. 

It may be inappropriate to question a country farmer's english skill, but for Service Industry earning income from farangs, this sign is just a silly excuse. And a country as a whole putting up a language barrier won't do any good to its economy. As you see I'm also not a native english speaker, yet the appalling english-inability of Thailand also gave me tons headache. 

How is your Thai - appalling? 

13 minutes ago, sucit said:

My thought is, if you want well educated English speaking service, be prepared to pay through the nose for it and I am sure many places would be happy to provide it. But everyone demands that everything be dirt cheap. 

Valid point. I don't know why, but all the dentists ( male and female ) I have encountered here speak very good English.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps he has picked up your accent, the UK has a large number of them. Cockney, Welsh, Yorkshire, Cornwall, cut-glass - the list goes on and on. You would be unaware of it, but it might sound weird to the teachers. Hence their rating.

I once had a Latin teacher from the north of England. Took the class 3 months to work out what on earth he was saying.

I'm from Sussex/Surrey and sound like Prince Harry.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Valid point. I don't know why, but all the dentists ( male and female ) I have encountered here speak very good English.

Because all medicine universities here are english language only.

11 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Just one more reason to move to more welcoming shores. If my business depended on Germans,  my staff would speak German. Simple logic does not compute here.

Sure dude, they will look forward to work for you for the 10 000 THB they earn in such a restaurant...

If you want english speaking waiters, go to a fancy restaurant where they pay fancy salaries and don't expect to eat for cheap.

it's somehow always the broke ass cheapskates that go to cheap af restaurants and then demand 5 star service, you get what you pay, welcome to reality.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

if someone complained about my second language ability, for example my french, and especially if i was using that language in order to be successful in business, i'd work hard to improve my language skills. that would be common sense/good business sense, wouldn't it?!

I find this is a very stupid comment because how much languages you want learn??? This is Thailand and native english speakers are now rare. So russian, chinese, india, ... are much more important as to talk to some fools in english. ???? ???? ????

• Sad 1

I can't say I disagree with this sign. Speaking the language is certainly an advantage as the standard of English here is poor & most is self taught. It's very noticeable in all restaurants as the waiters seem to struggle with the menu in any foreign language & that is evident as the photos far outweigh the descriptions. The food when served is invariably not the same as the photo & "woe betide you" if you want change something on the dish. 

Communication is important & between Thai's & Farangs here has always been very difficult, so not getting past that barrier often causes misunderstandings & disputes. Sad thing is Thai's are not that tolerant when it comes to customers rights etc, hence any arguments often lead to heated arguments & customers are asked to leave, but not before paying the bill ........ leaving everyone upset.

It can quickly become a strange environment to spend a holiday for those that are not aware of the culture here .......... I've been here a long time & still the onus to be polite, lower your voice, don't do this, don't do that, etc is all placed on the visitor. Tempers here are on edge & fray so quickly here, so it's always best to be on your best behavior & read all the warnings before you arrive, any trouble move on, find another venue.

The sign may seem to you to be "tongue in cheek", but trust me when I say there are dark undertones in the need of heeding here ..... fact. If I saw this sign it would make me turn around & go elsewhere. Who needs hassle on your evening out ....??? The thinking here is all wrong ....... even if it is tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because all medicine universities here are english language only.

Sure dude, they will look forward to work for you for the 10 000 THB they earn in such a restaurant...

If you want english speaking waiters, go to a fancy restaurant where they pay fancy salaries and don't expect to eat for cheap.

it's somehow always the broke ass cheapskates that go to cheap af restaurants and then demand 5 star service, you get what you pay, welcome to reality.

....oooooooor...it is the tourists, wanting to experience local cuisine and ambience and also take their money to local businesses...

I know, hard to fathom, but there are people like that!

But by "local" they didn't expect to be lectured on their ability to speak Thai, when they (maybe even rightfully) complained about something!

But I guess, according to you, there is nothing worth complaining about ...ever...in the paradise, that is Thailand!

I can't believe there are actually posts critisising this sign. Get over yourselves, you are in these peoples country, if you owned a restaurant in your home country, would you expect your staff to be multi lingual. If you want to eat at an english speaking restaurant, Suvarnabhumi is your first stop.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, ravip said:

Please explain. Very difficult for the common man to understand your unique and extraordinary post.

It's another item on his list of perceived prejudices!!

So far, from memory, weight, religion sexuality and farang lable. I'm sure I've missed others!!

He does seem to get upset on a daily basis on how people view him.

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Wake up!!!

That sign was not written by a Thai.

Look at the emphasis on the word 'please'.

The abbreviated 'cannot'.

The syntax and grammar smacks of falang and an educated one at that, most probably trying to placate his wife.

Poor snowflakes have missed the irony of it all.

I actually think it is agreat sign, as an Native english speaker and thai fourth language

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, curlylekan said:

I fully agree with the business, but I think the sign is quite rude and for that reason, I would not shop there. It really doesn't bother me if they can't speak proper English. I'm in Thailand, not the USA, the UK, Ireland, or Australia, etc.

You mean "correct english" surely

• Haha 1

The sign should read, "Don't complain if staff have zero will communicate or problem solve and take care of even the simplest complications. Its your problem not our's, there's always others where you came from so why be bothered,  that's just how we roll in the service industry Thailand."

In my experience (20 years here) as an obvious farang by my appearance,  my being a farang seems to signal to many in the service industry that there is no need to listen or communicate. They cannot speak our language seems to be a point of pride. And that pride gets wounded as soon as you speak Thai. I would wager that if thye are encountering angry customers it is more because of the attitude not the English competency. I speak and understand Thai fluently, and it rarely helps, there is nearly always some problem anytime you step into a shop or restaurant or what have you. My speaking Thai ruffles the feathers of some, ignored by others,  and that is the start of numerous hassles, there is even visible annoyance even anger that their expectation that I don't speak Thai is shattered or their pride that i speak Thai better than they speak English. Or in some cases it seems they simply are habituated so deeply to farang and other foreigners having zero Thai ability that when you speak their brains don't recognize Thai being spoken. Another one you get with staff  is the deer in the headlights reaction to meeting foreigners they just go frozen and into a panic and there is nothing that will go well. Among Thais who are receptive and friendly I have long been praised and complimented at the clarity of my spoken Thai, and I am not bragging, I think it is only right that I speak the language if I am staying here.

I find it hard to believe, that many western tourists would be so stupid as to be angry or create problems because staff don't speak English well. I would bet the real problems with restaurant staff were more to do with the entitlement they are given in Thai society to refuse to communicate or comply with the wishes of others if they don't feel like it even when they are in a work situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1