How to cash ones tax refund?

I went through the process of obtaining a bank statement showing the withholding tax paid on my 2019 retirement deposit interest (very straightforward), then I went to my local tax office and submitted a tax refund claim (I already had a TIN tax number so again the process was very straightforward). As I was informed, the refund letter arrived by post about 10 days later.

Now I have hit a road block. The letter (in Thai) gives 3 options for claiming the money. The first involves logging into a  PromptPay account using a Thai ID number (which I do not have).  The other 2 options seem to require an account or a money wallet with the Krung Thai bank. I only have accounts with Bangkok Bank and TMB.

Is there an easy way to get my hands on my money (which will only go part way to paying for a decent bottle of malt whisky)?

Some ideas would be welcome.

2 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I only have accounts with Bangkok Bank and TMB.

It's a couple of years ago.

But at the time simply went to Bangkok Bank and they took care.

Amount credited to my account within a day or two.

Cost a small fee.

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Take the letter to Krung Thai bank

Yes this started last year. They open an ecard for you which gets loaded with the refund and you then take out from their ATM. You need the letter and your passport.

I will see if I can dig out one of the threads from last year.

Cashing the 'cheque' tax refund letter is not possible at Bangkok bank so I walked over to the Krung Thai bank. After the usual 'work permit' question which I do not have I was told I needed my TIN tax card, even though the TIN number is on the letter.  So today I tried again and was pleasantly surprised that they issued me with an e-card and I could withdraw my money at their ATM machine (minus 56 baht left on the card) all within 20 minutes.

Note in addition to your passport and TIN card it is helps if you can show them a copy of your name in Thai. Luckily I had a photo of my condo chanote which simplified the whole process.

I now have a half decent bottle of Single Malt whisky added to my collection. It was worth the effort after all.

• Like 2

My only option was open an account at KTB. First they said I couldn't open an account without a work permit (I just retired and have a retirement visa (Non-O). I complained and told them how can I get my tax refund back? They all look puzzled. Bank manager comes over looks at my passport and tells the teller I'm ok to open an account with them. The opening process took about 45 minutes. She scans the bar code on the paper I got from revenue department and presto, tax refund in my account. Don't know what would have happened if I was just on a tourist visa. 

Edited by RBOP
grammar spelling

I got a tax refund last year and had to open a KTB account in order to get the money. It was a useful experience because I created a PromptPay account by linking my new KTB account to my Thai ID number (I have PR). Also, KTB Internet banking is pretty good.

51 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

I got a tax refund last year and had to open a KTB account in order to get the money. It was a useful experience because I created a PromptPay account by linking my new KTB account to my Thai ID number (I have PR). Also, KTB Internet banking is pretty good.

If you had a Thai ID number you could have used promptpay to link it to any local bank account. Wouldn't have to be KTB.

Of course you would have had to have done this before getting your refund. 

11 hours ago, 1DegreeN said:

An alternative to Krung Thai is the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Co-operatives. They don't have an e-card but you can get the tax refund paid into a savings account. No work permit required.

is this option mentioned in the letter you receive?

Hey folks ,

I received this letter from the tax office for my tax return , but it is in Thai , and I can't really ask about it where I'm at .

Anyone can translate this ?

The blacked-out are my tax number and amount.

DSCF7638.jpg

Edited by FlorC