U.S. Social Security SSA-1099 Tax Form Received

Pib

16 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, just got mine, even tho' by being registered for SS online, I'm told I've gone green, and thus no more paper deliveries.

Same here but they haven't put it up online yet so bet its in the mail. I live in the sticks and have a PO Box so guess a trip to town is in order.

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

OPM 1099's became available for download at the end of last week but never did get a notice this year - normally an email is sent.

I got an email notice from OPM on 26 Jan saying the 1099's are available....below is a partial snapshot of the 26 Jan OPM email I got.

image.png.311ac35d97b927687f979b6820849f8e.png

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

I got an email notice from OPM on 26 Jan saying the 1099's are available....below is a partial snapshot of the 26 Jan OPM email I got.

image.png.311ac35d97b927687f979b6820849f8e.png

I found it on the 24th so maybe they did not send to those that had already downloaded as that is what I normally get.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:04 PM, pmarlin said:

Same here but they haven't put it up online yet so bet its in the mail. I live in the sticks and have a PO Box so guess a trip to town is in order.

Update: got it on line 1Feb and in the mail 5 Feb. Mail really sucks here

• 2 weeks later...

I did not receive my 2019 1099-SSA this year...I did receive it last year, but not in previous years. I continue to receive the annual benefits letter and the 7162 each year.

I dropped an email to FBU.Manila@ssa,gov yesterday requesting a PDF, received the PDF today (it is encrypted, with the PW in a separate email). 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Bumped for anyone receiving their 2020 1099-SSA.

Haven't got mine yet. But just checked the PO Box on Wednesday (moved to PO Box because Thai Post routed my mail to another sorting station which refused to deliver English language addressed parcels and mail) and it wasn't there. Will check again this afternoon. Thanks for putting up this reminder.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

These should start rolling in this week, unless they've been delayed because of COVID?

The start of filing has been delayed until Feb. 12 - not sure what it was in previous years - or if this delay impacts 1099-SSA deliveries.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refunds-during-pandemic

It was two to three weeks earlier - normally allowed advance efile about 3rd week of January as I recall.

56 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

These should start rolling in this week, unless they've been delayed because of COVID?

I expect them to be about a week later than in the past. That is what I have seen with other mail coming from the states.

COLA letter was about a week later than before last month.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I expect them to be about a week later than in the past. That is what I have seen with other mail coming from the states.

COLA letter was about a week later than before last month.

Wouldn't surprise me that for those with SSA online accts who will be able to download a replacement/duplicate SSA-1099 beginning 1 Feb will be able to do the download before their snail mail copy shows up this year.

You don't really need your SSA-1099 to prepare your 2020 taxes. You should have all the numbers from SSA documents sent beginning of 2020 delineating your benefits and any deductions. Just plug those numbers into a bogus SSA-1099 on your efile software. Even if you were filing a paper return, you wouldn't need to include the SSA-1099, unless there was tax withholding involved.

I did my Turbotax return weeks ago, submitted, and it now waits with them to be sent Feb 12 to the IRS. Also filed FBAR data earliest. Why? My sudden demise instructions to the wife have now been updated to say: Don't worry about filing 2020 tax and FBAR documents should I be run over by a tuk tuk.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, JimGant said:

You don't really need your SSA-1099 to prepare your 2020 taxes.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I'm a little concerned about how my 13th payment will be treated. I know some say that it will be accounted for in 2021, but it was deposited and cleared into my account on December 31, 2020.

I receieved two (2) payments in December 2020, one on Dec. 3, 2020 and one on Dec. 31, 2020.

I also have tax withheld form my SocSec benfit each month.

A 1099-SSA will resolve my concerrn.

It seems like the Line 6a, 6b worksheet reduces our tax level of SocSec a bit more than last year. 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I know some say that it will be accounted for in 2021, but it was deposited and cleared into my account on December 31, 2020.

When the January 3 check delivery date falls on a non-banking day and the first previous banking day is in the previous year, we deliver the January benefit check in December. However, for taxation of benefits purposes, the check for January 3 that we issued in late December is treated as if we issued it in the year associated with the intended January 3 delivery date.

https://blog.ssa.gov/get-your-social-security-benefit-statement/

• Like 1

^ Thanks, been looking for just this sort of info for a few weeks.

Let's hope Vonda knows her stuff.

5 minutes ago, JimGant said:

When the January 3 check delivery date falls on a non-banking day and the first previous banking day is in the previous year, we deliver the January benefit check in December.

I was under the impression that the January 3 "payment" is actually for December. Maybe Vonda got a bit confused there?

At least what the SSA says in their annual COLA letter.

35 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I was under the impression that the January 3 "payment" is actually for December. Maybe Vonda got a bit confused there?

Doubtful, as it is an official website of the government.

But if you're getting a military pension then, yes, easy to see why you might get confused, as that Jan 2021 military pension check received in Dec 2020 -- *is* taxable in 2020.

However, when you die, and your military pension converts to a survivor annuity for your wife, then the Jan annuity is actually paid on the first business day of Jan, not in December. Thus, obviously, not taxable in the prior year.

Clear? ????

The intended payment date is the key.  Payment for December b 2020 benefits occurs in January 2021 like 3 Jan for folks with overseas addresses.   Although the payment may get delivered in Dec if the "intended" payment was 3 Jan 2021 but delivered in late Dec 2020 due to holidays/weekends, then that payment applies to 2021 taxes, not 2020, since the "intended" payment date was 3 Jan 2021.

https://blog.ssa.gov/what-day-of-the-month-do-i-get-my-social-security-payment/

image.png.e201df1aa9a5b578a17aaa465e9ff429.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, khaepmu said:

I have just recently received the cost of living adjustment document a few days ago (COLA) but have not received the SAA 1099 yet. 

Where USA or Thailand? First Class or express. You have left some very important information out. Just saying.