Anti-China sentiment spreads around the globe along with coronavirus

webfact

3 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Bird Flu Virus at the turn of the millennium came from China. SARS Virus a decade later came from China. Now Corona Virus comes from China. Every decade, or so...

It is China's social behavior that keeps creating and sharing these diseases, and its political culture keeps it from addressing the problem. It is not "a common challenge facing mankind", it is China's unwillingness to change its society's practices. Well, you better start, or it will be mankind facing a common challenge called China.

Just confirmation bias... 

MERS came from ??? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing is that WE have to mess up China's health and hygiene problems. 

My doctor collegue in a big hospital in central China told me last night that before he came to this hospital both doctors and nurses did not change their dresses every day and did not wash their hands before touching ill patients. No gloves available. 

China is a high tec country on one side but on the other hand poor in hygiene 

• Like 2

These people are really ignorant and racist.

China is as huge as Europe, if someone in England gets the virus, that doesn't mean all Europeans should be banned.

After all, Europeans can freely travel around Europe.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I have worked in China for 17 years and I have never found them racist at all. Most are indifferent or friendly, but very rarely hostile.

How would you know? Guessing you probably look like one!! 

Edited by crabbie2020
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

I would absolutely understand, and accept, that they were worried about catching a disease from me.

You wouldn't find it idiotic as you may not have been in your home country? I work with three Chinese girls, by you reckoning I should shun them, but they haven't been in China for over 10 months.... 

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I agree with all the anti-China sentiment. Repeatedly, simply because of the highly "adventurous" diet they eat, we have had viruses jumping from animals or birds (bats earlier) to humans. Why must the rest of the world suffer because of their dietary preferences?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't have anything against Chinese people per se...

I just don't want to be around potentially sick and contagious people, regardless of their nationality...

And it just so happens, Chinese who have been in mainland Chinese since December are the current nationality du jour.

Would have said the same thing for the Middle East during MERS, Africa during Ebola, the U.S. during Trump, etc etc.... :wink:

yes, cos I am not an idiot

3 hours ago, rabas said:

How easy is it, even with a story about avoiding disease,  for some to pull out tired, old terms like racist, xenophobe, etc. I know it makes some feel good, but it mostly hits innocent people.

The comments I quoted from the OP were as I described them. 

2 hours ago, 30la said:

This is panic that is going out of control!
Stop it, it's a flu and you will find medicine very soon!

They may or they may not find medicine as you put it, sometimes there are things to worry about. if we look at history and the 1918 influenza which was estimated to have infected 500 million people, the death toll being estimated between 50 and 100 million. This influenza even found it's way to the Arctic and remote Islands, I believe people are right to be worried.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I like the people, but I still get the willies every time I'm at a group function and there's a guy across the table coughing and hacking, then dipping his chopsticks into the community bowl we're all eating from.  That's the custom, and if you don't eat from the shared dishes, you go hungry.  I don't care if it's exotic food or not.  It's not hygienic, and I guaranty you that it played a huge role in the rapid spread of the coronavirus. 

Then you'll be hungry in Thailand as well, Thai groups do exactly the same and in most restaurants the dishes which are for the whole group even don't have a serving spoon....

Then i try to be smart and order dishes for myself but before i can get some of it the other guys already took the best parts out of it with their own chopsticks or forks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

It’s not fact and it’s a bigoted and racially charged view. 

You are wrong to single out the Chinese eating exotic food. China not the only country to eat exotic creatures. If you imply that eating is cause of the disease; you dead wrong as droppings and association rather than eating have been medically proven to be the causes. 

Again wrong to claim flu variations come from China. MERS originated from Middle East. Normal flu is just as dangerous. In US between the months of Oct - Nov, 910-2,400 people died from flu and 16,000-29,000 people hospitalized according to CDC reports. 

China is perhaps the only country in the world that can ordered a lockdown of a province of 11 million people by a single order. They are just as concern with the disease severity as the whole world. Many global health organizations including WHO are involved in stopping the spread. You can’t lie with such large exposure coverage by the world. 

Not getting into the rest, but this is a good quote from the above:  "China is perhaps the only country in the world that can ordered a lockdown of a province of 11 million people by a single order." I am sure the Uyghers and Falun Gong members appreciate this fact.

• Like 1

It did not take long for the self-righteous to start screaming RACIST! It is not racist to criticisise or to be worried, scared of a killer disease from any country even China. The staged click bait sign in a shop window and so many fall for it. Yes the Chinese have some very bad habits (not all and less so the young) that can easily disgust weasteners (I remember as a young man on a bus in Hong Kong, I was shocked at what I saw). Then again the Chinese have such a beautiful culture as well. Just accept There is a major outbreak and protect yourself and your family in whatever way suits you. 

• Like 2