Netizens bugged by rising price of face masks

webfact

Netizens bugged by rising price of face masks

By The Nation

800_54fea76c2ed8ab9.jpeg?v=1580623728

People are complaining about overpriced face masks despite an assurance by Chatchai Saksilapachai, deputy director-general of the Department of Internal Trade, that there is enough stock for the next four months.

Netizens have expressed concerns about the price mostly via Twitter, in which the top hashtags in Thailand were about the coronavirus outbreak.

Some claimed that the price of six packs of face masks had reached Bt7,980, forcing consumers to order the masks via e-commerce platforms.

This is not the first time that the price of face masks has become a hot topic. Just a few weeks ago, vendors had raised the price when PM2.5 dust particles led to concerns about air quality.

Boonyarit Kalayanamit, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Commerce, said that such retail behaviour violates the Price of Goods and Services Act and were liable to be fined up to Bt10,000 or a seven-year imprisonment.

He asked people to use the 1596 hotline and Provincial Commercial Offices to report overpricing of face masks.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-03
  • Like 2

I went to thaiwatsadu 3 weeks ago just before the virus to buy good 3M masks against the pollution.

They didn't have the ones with the exhaust valve anymore and only had pink ones left....so i went to another thaiwatsadu , bought all they had but they were different models than on the pic....these have 2 elastics for behind the ears and that hurts a lot....so i cut the lower elastic and tie the top ones together into 1 which goes around the head.

But i hate it that 3M can't show me proper picture of what's inside the sachet...i feel cheated...and why don't they sell the ones with exhaust valve?

Anyway, i'm happy i have stock now since they sure will be sold out now...the ones i got were from 2017 though, why is that?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I went to thaiwatsadu 3 weeks ago just before the virus to buy good 3M masks against the pollution.

They didn't have the ones with the exhaust valve anymore and only had pink ones left....so i went to another thaiwatsadu , bought all they had but they were different models than on the pic....these have 2 elastics for behind the ears and that hurts a lot....so i cut the lower elastic and tie the top ones together into 1 which goes around the head.

But i hate it that 3M can't show me proper picture of what's inside the sachet...i feel cheated...and why don't they sell the ones with exhaust valve?

Anyway, i'm happy i have stock now since they sure will be sold out now...the ones i got were from 2017 though, why is that?

Sharing is caring!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Boonyarit Kalayanamit, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Commerce, said that such retail behaviour violates the Price of Goods and Services Act and were liable to be fined up to Bt10,000 or a seven-year imprisonment.

But like most things never happens!

3 hours ago, Thian said:

3 weeks ago i saw the 3M ones in chinatown....25 for 750 baht, the good ones with exhaust valve....but i bet they're sold out now.

Isn't it ridiculous that Prayuth lets the chinese in (while other countries ban them) and he even doesn't make sure there are enough mouthmasks for sale...is he willing to kill us?

That Prayut still let the Chinese tourist in for me is incomprehensible!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thian said:

3 weeks ago i saw the 3M ones in chinatown....25 for 750 baht, the good ones with exhaust valve....but i bet they're sold out now.

Isn't it ridiculous that Prayuth lets the chinese in (while other countries ban them) and he even doesn't make sure there are enough mouthmasks for sale...is he willing to kill us?

Even Laos has closed it's border with China. Facemasks are all but useless anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

still promoting the false belief that off the shelf facemasks are effective. Viruses are infinitessimally small, little bigger than the thin strand of a DNA or RNA molecule they contain. Masks will not filter them. Anyone who paid attention in a high school science class should know this. Anyone who reads accurate qualified news on the subject knows this. Additionally, these viruses are spread through hand contact with surfaces or other peoples hands or bodies, not though the air, unless someone sneezes right at you.  But monkey see monkey do carries more weight than actual fact

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This is not the first time that the price of face masks has become a hot topic. Just a few weeks ago, vendors had raised the price when PM2.5 dust particles led to concerns about air quality.

It doesn't matter what it is if there's money to made even from poor, sick, suffering, dying, people there are always some lowlife scum who will rip you off.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Denim said:

Do what some Chinese do, use a bra instead. Also covers one ear keeping out noise pollution as well. Win win.

I have a suggestion for those running this country take one of those banned plastic bags put it over your head tie securely around the neck in a short period of time a lot of problems will be gone

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thian said:

The only Thai ones I could find had multiple huge exhausts on them or slash pipes etc.

image.jpeg.691025be161127de416299f722522565.jpeg

Edited by nchuckle
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He asked people to use the 1596 hotline and Provincial Commercial Offices to report overpricing of face masks.

would like to see how many they catch after receiving phone call reporting and how many paying 10k fine 555

• Like 1