It's That Time Again - Tyres/Tires

thequietman

Hi Guys,

Click 150i needs new tyres I think. 8000 km's on the stock tyres and the ride is getting a little less comfortable.

Is it time to change tyres? If so, should I go for Michelin Pilot Street 90/90/14 & 100/80/14 @ 1700 baht,

OR Pirelli Angel 90/80/14 & 100/80/14 @ 2400 baht.

Both are affordable, so opinions please. Many thanks in advance. ????

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never had a bad experience with Michelin I would go with those.

But, what <deleted> was on originally that is pretty low mileage for tires to wear out.?

IRC stock tyres. They are not worn out, just not gripping as good. Losing air as well, front and back about 1 psi a week. I like the feel of new tyres and having to spend 2000 or so baht a year seems reasonable for comfort and safety. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, thequietman said:

IRC stock tyres. They are not worn out, just not gripping as good. Losing air as well, front and back about 1 psi a week. I like the feel of new tyres and having to spend 2000 or so baht a year seems reasonable for comfort and safety. ????

sounds like a slow puncture to me....

20 hours ago, mike787 said:

Pirelli far superior.  Price is what you pay, value is what you get.  you choose.  I'd skip the helmet in thailand, not worth it, does not

help any.

Are you saying you'd skip the helmet because it is poor value/protection, or that you don't need one? Just trying to determine your IQ.

I am looking to replace the tyres on my daughters bike a Honda Wave 125 i,

with  Michelins , checking prices on Lazada, they vary a lot in price for the

same tyre, 600 thb- 1300 thb, are there counterfeit tyres out there ?,what

else would account for such a big difference, 

The Michelin City Pro seems to have better tread pattern especially

for the rain, than the Pilot street, which looks more like a racing tyre.

would a City Pro be a better tyre than the Pilot Street,just for everyday

use on Thai roads in all weathers ? thanks.   P.S. do these  tyres need 

inner tubes ?

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I am looking to replace the tyres on my daughters bike a Honda Wave 125 i,

with  Michelins , checking prices on Lazada, they vary a lot in price for the

same tyre, 600 thb- 1300 thb, are there counterfeit tyres out there ?,what

else would account for such a big difference, 

The Michelin City Pro seems to have better tread pattern especially

for the rain, than the Pilot street, which looks more like a racing tyre.

would a City Pro be a better tyre than the Pilot Street,just for everyday

use on Thai roads in all weathers ? thanks.   P.S. do these  tyres need 

inner tubes ?

regards Worgeordie

not sure if there are fakes Michelins in Thai since they are manufactured here, but it's a probability...

I believe the Pilotstreet is more advisable if you spend majority of your time on highways at higher speeds since fewer grooves put more rubber on the road w/c also means better grip, CityPro on the other hand is designed with more treads to allow water to run through so it has better grip on wet roads. Your choice.

I think the tires for Wave 125 needs inner tube..

Edited by alx123
cuteness overload
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Are you saying you'd skip the helmet because it is poor value/protection, or that you don't need one? Just trying to determine your IQ.

In Thailand, save the money for cremation. Very high "practical" IQ

"When in Thailand do as Thias do"

• Confused 4

This will hurt some folks feelings....wearing a helmet in Thailand is wasted money.  One thing in Emergency medicine we learned was, when victims of motorcycles arrive we called them "Donorcycles" as in Organ donor...by the time they arrive into the trauma bay, that's commonly the only good that comes from them...  Thailand has the highest road fatality especially motorcycles....however, i understand, like telling a smoker it will kill you, you need and will ride...good luck here. 

• Confused 2

On 2/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, thequietman said:

I've got a 125i Click and done 12,000 km and the tyres still look fine and still as comfortable as ever. I think mine loses 1 psi a week from new, no big deal. My bicycle loses 5psi a week which is a pain and no puncture

9 hours ago, mike787 said:

This will hurt some folks feelings....wearing a helmet in Thailand is wasted money.  One thing in Emergency medicine we learned was, when victims of motorcycles arrive we called them "Donorcycles" as in Organ donor...by the time they arrive into the trauma bay, that's commonly the only good that comes from them...  Thailand has the highest road fatality especially motorcycles....however, i understand, like telling a smoker it will kill you, you need and will ride...good luck here. 

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll assume you don't wear socks and shoes in Thailand either.

14 hours ago, papa al said:

papa has a collection of personally broken helmets.

????️

But hey! ...wind in the hair... maybe a little buzz on  ... yeah baby...!

????‍????

papa is demonstrating better sense than the last time we had a discussion.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, mike787 said:

In Thailand, save the money for cremation. Very high "practical" IQ

"When in Thailand do as Thias do"

A strange advice.

Even a crash with 20 km/h could/would crash your skull. A broken arm, or leg's easily treatable.

But not your head. Don't mess with it, please. 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:09 AM, alx123 said:

I'm currently using the Aspira Sportivo you mentioned, I can say they are good as well (at par with the Pilotstreet) But it's only been a week so we'll see...

I take this comment back, this brand is not that bad but not at par with the name brands. Stick with original Pirellis or Michelins instead guys. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:48 AM, alx123 said:

since fewer grooves put more rubber on the road w/c also means better grip

Actually increased contact area wont really give better grip. It just distributes the weight over the increased area but the grip will be pretty much the same.

The tread pattern of street scooter tires has just an impact on wet performance but even there I suspect it's limited. Compound material will have a much higher influence. With the cheap price of these tires I'd look for the one with the softest compound that has a good content of silica. Both the Michelin and Pirelli will perform well.

As mentioned, more important than Pirelli vs Michelin will be to check the tire manufacturing date. I recommend one from at most a couple months old, not more than a year. If possible check also how the shop stores them. E.g. are they in the sun etc. Even if a shop has old stock you can ask them to order newer ones.

5 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Actually increased contact area wont really give better grip. It just distributes the weight over the increased area but the grip will be pretty much the same.

The tread pattern of street scooter tires has just an impact on wet performance but even there I suspect it's limited. Compound material will have a much higher influence. ..

Generally speaking, you're right.  That's the way friction works.

There are specific circumstances where wider is better, but it isn't necessarily "grip".  It may help in lateral loading situations or less than perfect surfaces.  Wide can also help with heat dissipation and allow the use of a softer compound, which can increase grip, and still get reasonable wear.  But it gets complicated FAST. 

• Like 1

I'm far from expert on tires, mostly basing it only on my experience and some reading around,  so take everything I say with a grain of salt. 

I always assume that more contact area means more friction, and more friction means better grip. Nevertheless, I'll be glad to be corrected. 

Tread patterns though I think really is essential when it comes to displacing water, they work like water canals to allow water to flow at the sides instead of it being in between of your tires and the road. Hydroplaning will cause you to lose traction. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

I always assume that more contact area means more friction, and more friction means better grip. Nevertheless, I'll be glad to be corrected. 

Grip is (generally) a function of weight times friction coefficient. The friction coefficient is determined by the touching materials (asphalt and tire rubber). 1kg downforce on 1cm2 will give the same "grip" as 1kg on 2cm2. You see area is not in the equation. Each cm2 in the second example will get 0.5kg downforce. So 1kg/1cm2 = 2*(0.5kg/1cm2).

And yes, if one really wants to go into more detail, there's a lot more stuff at play. Wider tires usually means softer compound which means higher friction coefficient. You could get the same with a narrrow tire but that would have other problems.

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

Tread patterns though I think really is essential when it comes to displacing water, they work like water canals to allow water to flow at the sides instead of it being in between of your tires and the road. Hydroplaning will cause you to lose traction. 

Yes the tread patters as mentioned are important when in the wet. But the shape of them is less important and more a design thing. As long as you don't run slicks on your scooter, the tread pattern should be fine.

If someone drives so fast on a scooter through heavy rain that he gets hydroplaning then he drove way too fast. Take it slow guys.

• 2 months later...