Street crime ?

georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I avoid certain areas of Pattaya in the early hours eg walking street because of drunken hoons .

One where I wouldn't be afraid if being sober myself :biggrin:

Deserted badly lit Sois, walking always somewhat risky.

Wearing the 10 oz gold chain, glittering Rolex?

Not recommended.

Drive up Pattaya park hill and see all the bag snatcher warning signs.

Seen similar in Bangkok not far from Khao San.

For Bangkok police had published a list of risky areas (where the dealers meet etc.).

Unlikely you will go there.

Some food to read:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1049702-most-dangerous-areas-of-bangkok/

Old one from 2013:

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/03/bangkoks-most-dangerous-areas-for-crime/

I once walked from Khao San road over Ratchadamnoen and further on in the evening.

And the amount of homeless/shabby people, street hookers, curb crawlers was quite stunning to me.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Lolol Pattaya for sure and also Phuket.

After 6 boys on 3 bikes chased down my wife and I on Siam Country Club Rd at 7 pm......2 pulled guns, all 6 prob 14-17.

They didn’t get anything from us and that was only by LUCK~!!

i know 4 others been robbed on that same road same area, definitely robber gang near big open market on S C C Road

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Always carry a thick glove and a leather pouch over your belt. When you feel threatened put on the glove, reach into your pouch and pull out one of six throwing stars. At that point do your best Bruce Lee immitation and scare them off. Works every time.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Always carry a thick glove and a leather pouch over your belt. When you feel threatened put on the glove, reach into your pouch and pull out one of six throwing stars. At that point do your best Bruce Lee immitation and scare them off. Works every time.

Do not tell me you really did it sometimes? ????

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I wouldn't think twice about walking around Bangkok or Pattaya at 3am. Never had a problem, never felt in danger. Can't say the same about London, Liverpool or Bristol, though. Those places are dangerous after dark.

yeah but if your wandering around beach rd at 3am you could get attacked by a ladyboy and suffer scratches and I wouldn't want to be out at that time in Maceio Brazil, your libel to get shot 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

but if your wandering around beach rd at 3am you could get attacked by a ladyboy and suffer scratches

And maybe missing phone/wallet and the like.

Pick pocketing on Baht bus/WS/Beach rd., "hug and grab" are most reported street crimes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Do not tell me you really did it sometimes? ????

It might work, if you convince them you are a lunatic. But no, I don't carry throwing stars. I'm 78. I'd probably drop it on my foot.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

It might work, if you convince them you are a lunatic. But no, I don't carry throwing stars. I'm 78. I'd probably drop it on my foot.

I can see that 78 years does not prevent having humor????

7 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

chased down my wife and I on Siam Country Club Rd at 7 pm......2 pulled guns

Both of you wearing 5 Baht gold? 

You did not pay the installment of your car? 

You **cked the girlfriend of a drug dealer? 

You are my investment fond manager? 

It does not happen often but in principle I try to stay away from groups of (young) drunk Thais.

They might even be friendly and joking. But unfortunately "our" sense of humor is often enough not compatible with their sense of humor. So after a while it's maybe not funny anymore...

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, SteveK said:

I wouldn't think twice about walking around Bangkok or Pattaya at 3am. Never had a problem, never felt in danger. Can't say the same about London, Liverpool or Bristol, though. Those places are dangerous after dark.

There is apparently some places in Bangkok eg African gang areas 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, SteveK said:

2nd that. I was turned over, beaten up, and left unconscious in Bristol one night many years ago. 

On 2/8/2020 at 5:17 AM, bartender100 said:

Walking around very late on deserted sois, I am more worried about packs of stray dogs

It is not specific to Thailand;
I remember my nocturnal "walks" when I came back to Point E  in Dakar , Senegal ,where I stayed in 1978;
I had a solid stick in my hand because of the hordes of semi wild dogs

On 2/9/2020 at 10:17 AM, justin case said:

see the news... thailand got another crazy mass murder shooter with a machine gun in a shopping mall killing 20+

vs 435 mass shootings in 2019 and till end of January 2020, 28 ... in USA ????

(source: Google/Wikipedia) 

On 2/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, SteveK said:

Dangerous in Daylight

On 2/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, SteveK said:

I wouldn't go wandering about in Klong Toey in the night though.

Thailand is far safer than London.