Farangs who don’t wear face masks should be kicked out of Thailand says health minister

webfact

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It is unfortunate that the minister appears to have little understanding of how coronavirus is transmitted. ...or the limitations of efficacy of wearing a normal mask.
Seeing the problems in terms of race would also seem to indicate a lack of a scientific approach.
Coronavirus is highly contagious and the harm it can do to Thai tourism is already evident.
The ministers comments could undermine international confidence in Thailand's ability to deal with the problem

He does not care about the virus, he cares much more about telling us foreigners how he really feels and his wish to see us either die or get out of thailand...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, transam said:

He/they never stopped the flights that brought the virus in.....Now it is the farangs fault.....????

Was there ever a doubt who is at fault. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

"moo" means pig, and the thai girls say it because the see how you look at them.

if you, like me, will try hard to never look at thai girls, not in the street at least, you will 

also enjoy never to be called "moo".

Now you're asking the impossible. Guess that I'll have to stick with being called "moo" (which I never have been).

• Haha 1

The Health Minister made a public apology, he says he said he became upset because he offered the masks to some European tourists and they responded less than perfectly, as if they didn't care and they were dismissive. You can imagine can you not.....pft, we don't need no stinking masks...that kinda thing.

I guess I can somewhat forgive the guy but suggest he might undergo some PR training or attend an anger management course.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

The masks can stop the virus from spreading, if it’s worn when that person coughs, sadly the Chinese girl hacking away at the restaurant yesterday took hers off while she was coughing...the virus is predominately spread from air borne droplets, and they enter through the eyes...so a pair of protective glasses would be the best option......anyway, perhaps the minister should be aware that very few farang actually have the virus at this stage...because they stopped transport of virus carriers into their country.

but he’s right, maybe it’s a god idea if we all get out and western tourists stop coming .....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/05/which-is-the-real-pandemic-coronavirus-or-the-hysteria-that-follows-euronews-reality-check

The world is clearly in the grip of not one, but two pandemics, caused by a new coronavirus, the “novel Coronavirus 2019” or nCoV-2019 for short. The first pandemic is the actual infection caused by this virus. The second is the panic, hysteria, threat inflation, associated racism and xenophobia that are exploding in the shadow of the viral outbreak. The latter pandemic may claim more lives than the first.

All true but I find it strange that, instead of the Thai government aiming their invective at the originators of the virus (Chinese), who they instead continue to court as tourists and extend their sympathies to, they instead aim their invective at farangs. It's a mad world (Thailand).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, namatjira said:

The masks can stop the virus from spreading, if it’s worn when that person coughs, sadly the Chinese girl hacking away at the restaurant yesterday took hers off while she was coughing...the virus is predominately spread from air borne droplets, and they enter through the eyes...so a pair of protective glasses would be the best option......anyway, perhaps the minister should be aware that very few farang actually have the virus at this stage...because they stopped transport of virus carriers into their country.

but he’s right, maybe it’s a god idea if we all get out and western tourists stop coming .....

Not those ineffetive masks he was handing out, they are next to useless even in hopsital settings where they are frequently used, plenty of reports about the ineffectiveness of them.

They are not particulate filtering

Edited by RJRS1301

9 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yeah that's amazing hey? Last week they were fiddling the figures and had been bought by China. This week they say only wear a mask if you have a cough or respiratory problems and the sound of masks hitting the bin deafens half of Thailand. Good old WHO, they're the boys for us!!!

But when the WHO says don't stop international travel because it doesn't help reduce the spread of viruses.......

More faces than a dice convention.

The difference being that it's not just the WHO saying that masks are innefective (wasn't the first place I heard it):

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-face-masks-not-entirely-effective-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

https://time.com/5774521/coronavirus-face-mask-prevention/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/our-face-mask-future-do-they-really-help-beat-flu-coronavirus-and-pollution

etc. etc.

Shows how they lump us all together, tourists and long stayers. Mask or no mask, I'll bet he's traveled outside of Thailand more often than I have in the last ten years. I left once since 2010, that was in 2016. If I have the Corona virus I got it here. If I need a mask it's because I'm here.

• Like 2

Anutin Charnvirakul seems to know better than the WHO. Their advisory is to wear the mask only if a person is unwell.

it is difficult to understand the "panic mode" of thai ministers - started of with the tourism minister panicking about lack of  arrivals and now gentleman wants to throw out foreigners who do not don the mask.

sure the situation is serious but going in panic overdrive is not going to address the problem. we need to follow the best available guidelines to tackle the corona virus, without panicking.

7 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I assume the minister means "when in Bangkok" or some other large city.

I live in the mountains of Phetchabun, and nobody wears a face mask here unless they are robbing a store.

WHO guideline is to wear the mask only if "unwell".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Why not pose this question to the Poster Of The Year 2019?

Yes, I would be very interested to have @Yinn's comment on the video.

I have already shown the video to 3 Thai friends who are Thai social media junkies yet claimed not to have seen the video. Unanimous comment, "Very rude". All refused to comment further. I got the impression that they were very embarrassed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So much wrong with what just came out of this little man's mouth. That was extremely racist and xenophobic. Very ugly to see a person of his stature in the government talking like this. 

I'm guessing some 'white people' said no when he offered them a mask. I'm guessing they may have refused to be in a picture. He's obviously lost face and just let words come out of his mouth in a fit of anger.

He asked Thai people to help kick out foreigners who don't wear masks. Let that sink in. A man who said this virus is like a common cold, who said stopping people coming in from mainland China won't make a difference, a man who's been seen in pictures with people who were ill not wearing a mask - has the audacity to tell people to help roundup people who don't accept his crappy masks and kick them out.

This man is one of the top men helping run this country. God help Thailand. 

being remotely intelligent has never been a requirement for public office in Thailand

• Thanks 2

If you needed another proof that foreigners are not welcome and well-liked by the Thai people, here it is!
By the way: the word "FARANG" as it is used very often, is absolutely offensive!
Thanks to you, "smart" hungry for glory ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, 30la said:

If you needed another proof that foreigners are not welcome and well-liked by the Thai people, here it is!
By the way: the word "FARANG" as it is used very often, is absolutely offensive!
Thanks to you, "smart" hungry for glory ...

Generally not offensive, became offensive when he used the prefix "ai" (not sure of the spelling).

• Like 2