Not much of an apology: Health minister Anutin unrepentant after face mask tirade against "farang"

rooster59

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The really sad part is that it seems to be a deliberate attempt to pick from the bottom of the barrel. It seems to be all about nepotism, and cronyism. There is no such thing as merit, when it comes to qualifications, with nearly any of the ministers in this very hapless administration. The same probably applies to the army. 

"The same probably applies to the army." They ARE Army without the uniforms! And the same applies to the police! A friend of my Thai wife has a son who wanted to join the police. She was told "Oh, it costs a lot of money to join the police"!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sadeghsep said:

That's right splashing , splashing is one of the common way to spread the virus

All people in the Frontline fighting with this situation are wearing masks 

Full bio hazard suits actually. Didn't you noticed.

• Like 1

After +15 years living in Thailand this is probably the most unwelcome I have ever felt in this country. They didn't get all the foreigners out with all their visa and work-permit regulations, so now just kick them out for not using a face mask? Also, how is he going to handle all the Thai nationals refusing to wear the face masks? Execute them on the spot or jail them? 

Edited by gvrixtel

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No need to get too worked up about this inane tirade. It is likely he will be dismissed fairly soon.

First of all he is the health minister, dealing with health crisis, with absolutely no experience in the field of health. That in itself is a major issue. As long as things were honky dory, not a real issue. But now? His ineptitude and incompetence is alot harder to hide with this emergency situation.

Next, there seem to be at least a few intelligent people within the administration, who do not tolerate this kind of psychobabble. We all saw that with the little Joke, and are likely to see it with little Oud, if he does not treat carefully. After all tourism brings in a substantial amount of money each year. 

You do not want to totally bite the hand that feeds you, now do you? 

I remember a (little Oud) comment of a couple of weeks back as if it were yesterday:-

"Be nice to the tourists, we need their money"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

what about the severe pollution in Chiang Mai since the middle of December ? Many Thai people are suffering from respiratory problems and hospitals are full with Thai children !!! Are these Thai people different from the one in Bangkok ? Are these many fires who cause this misery not done by Thai people as well ?? Dont worry Mister the Farang will leave.... who wants to live in such a terrible air ??? This is just made for Chinese people, they dont know what fresh air is.....

...mature...professional....respectable.....not...

...only hearing his one-sided tirade......

...gotta wonder what really happened...

...would guess...he was doing a 'publicity stunt'....with media present....(?)

...he approached a 'foreigner'.....just expected the foreigner to 'play along politely'....

...probably zero communication.....

...he was embarrassed.....does he even speak any English.....(?)

...so he had to become offended...offensive...insulting.....(?)

...a real shame.....

...but also frightening....

...would be nice to hear from the foreigner involved.....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

555 Try telling a Thai that they are the same race as Cambodians....or Burmese, or Laotians! I would include Chinese but they aren't from S.E. Asia and normally look quite didfferent to your average Thai.

Welome to my corner.They are the same race wether they like it or not.We all belong to the Human Race,and we all won the race against all those other spermites in the beginning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A single foreigner refused, which he took as justification to slag off every single farang here? And he won't apologise? There are many things I could say about his suitability for office and overall intelligence, but as a moderator, I shall refrain from the worst of it and simply say, unacceptable.

Exercising proper constraint - Highly commendable!  Good show darksidedog :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Welome to my corner.They are the same race wether they like it or not.We all belong to the Human Race,and we all won the race against all those other spermites in the beginning.

I don't think the Thais finished 1st. More likely bringing up the rear.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

555 Try telling a Thai that they are the same race as Cambodians....or Burmese, or Laotians! I would include Chinese but they aren't from S.E. Asia and normally look quite didfferent to your average Thai.

But how do they 'normally look quite different to your average Thai'.

I can't tell the difference and I spend a lot of time in Thailand especially Pattaya which is very popular with Chinese people. We have Chinese staying in my South Pattaya hotel and there is no way I can tell them from Thais.

I also live in London which is another place that is popular with the Chinese. The only way I can differentiate between them is that I am rather more familiar with the Thai language than I am with Mandarin or whatever other language they speak.

The Chinese have traditionally settled all over the globe for years and Thai people in the UK are often mistaken for Chinese. It's probably the same elsewhere in the world.

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

Surgeons use as protection from splashing body fluids not to prevent bacterial or virus.

It's for both reasons.Apparently.

"Surgeons and nurses performing clean surgery wear disposable face masks. The purpose of face masks is thought to be two-fold: to prevent the passage of germs from the surgeon's nose and mouth into the patient's wound and to protect the surgeon's face from sprays and splashes from the patient. Face masks are thought to make wound infections after surgery less likely. However, incorrectly worn masks may increase the likelihood of the wound getting contaminated with germs. We wanted to discover whether wearing a face mask during surgery makes infections of the wound more likely after the operation".

https://www.cochrane.org/CD002929/WOUNDS_disposable-surgical-face-masks-preventing-surgical-wound-infection-clean-surgery

The health minister seemed to be handing unpacked masks out without wearing gloves...

547198.jpg.834c7f262148485ced273ca883a2b

It would be more risky to accept such a mask, and more healthy to refuse it, following WHO's advises...

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: mulig tekst, hvor der står "HOW TO PUT ON, USE, TAKE OFF AND DISPOSE OF A MASK Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol- based hand rub or soap and water World Health Organization"

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: tekst

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: mulig tekst, hvor der står "HOW TO PUT ON, USE, TAKE OFF AND DISPOSE OF A MASK Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water World Health Organization"

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: mulig tekst, hvor der står "HOW TO PUT ON, USE, TAKE OFF AND DISPOSE OF A MASK To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol- based hand rub or soap and water World Health Organization"

And this is a repeat (from Singapore government) of the WHO advises for coronavirus...

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: en eller flere personer

Perhaps the health minister of Thailand has better information about how to avoid coronavirus than WHO?

Unfortunately such action and statements seems like Thailand wish to get rid of last farang tourists, which originally made the foundation for the Thai tourist industry, and however should be warmly welcomed now when the nation is missing the Chinese...????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

Who cares what they say. Its a two way street. Look at all the negative/ condescending comments about Thais by foreigners around here.

This is a high ranking government official making a racist statement which is likely to embarrass his country if seized upon by the foreign press and further damage a badly struggling tourist industry. Any minister from a leading western country making similar statements would find there position untenable 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

To be fair there is a period of time when a person can be infected and show no symptoms and can infect others without knowing it.I think this is Anutin's point that he is trying to make,one can be infected and pass on the contagion without realising it.Did you know this?This is the situation where masks do help.

In that case they should also cover ALL FOOD on ALL markets...if one contaminated person sneezes over it the party will start.

Also they should bring loads of people in a small place together, in Impact Muang Thong are still fairs organised every day.

In restaurants we still don't get a serving spoon when eating in a group.

Thailand does nothing to prevent themselves from the virus...handing out a few mouthmasks is far from enough.

• Like 1

Haven't read most of this thread, so this may be a repeat....

...but is this the farang hating government official that is the cause of "Thai only health insurance" that is causing so much trouble for farangs being denied one-year extensions even tho' they have far superior farang health insurance......?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1