Not much of an apology: Health minister Anutin unrepentant after face mask tirade against "farang"

rooster59

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If you have a cold then yes, wear a mask so as not to pass it onto others, if you don't there's no need to. Anyone with manners covers their mouth when coughing or sneezing already. Various medical resources have plainly stated there is no need to wear a mask unless ill.

If you have coronavirus and have symptoms (coughing and sneezing), You won't be passing it on to anyone outside your bedrooom or hospital bed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nev said:

However, if you read that article (which is talking about whether people in the USA, where there are only 7 cases, need to wear a mask) it provides a link to another article stating that masks are highly useful in protecting against airborne viruses.

This other article cites a study from the University of New South Wales which they say, provides definitive evidence in favour of masks.

Donning a face mask — either a surgical mask or a P2/N95 respirator mask (high particulate filter mask) — boosts protection from severe respiratory illnesses such as influenza and SARS, say researchers from the University of New South Wales (UNSW).

[...]

In the study, adult mask wearers in the home were four times more likely than non-wearers to be protected against respiratory viruses

https://www.livescience.com/7661-masks-protect-colds-flu.html

One of the researchers put it this way:

"We now have provided that evidence," she said. "Masks play an important role in reducing transmission if they are worn properly."

Last year, a CDC study found that wearing face masks and washing hands with alcohol-bases sanitizer cut down flu symptoms in a community by half.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

4 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

He should apologise for being a health minister who knows nothing about health.

I give him 2 days and he will be removed from office and probably end up in some massage parlour.

With bullet holes in his car I assume.

Come on chaps.   You can't expect him to realise that perhaps the farang refused them because they know about the many scams Thais are reputed to pull on the tourists or, may be the farang were more up-to-date on the WHO's announcements.

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Who cares what they say. Its a two way street. Look at all the negative/ condescending comments about Thais by foreigners around here.

And not justified in your opinion, I suppose?

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"If you are not prepared to follow our advice at this time then don't bother coming," he stated. 

I will follow the advice of medical practitioners around the world including the WHO (even the WHO in Thailand recently gave the correct advice).  They pretty much unanimously disagree with this idiot.  The government at least should censure him and point out to the public that this was one man's misguided opinion and place him out of the public's eye. 

45 minutes ago, sadeghsep said:

i think he is right , everyone has to wear mask specially in crowded areas , we can't protect ourselves till everyone do it , free your mind from all those news that they say mask is not effective it's the least thing we can do  whatever you think it's dangerous or not because we don't know anything about the situation so let's not risk 

Yeah sure. But not from a Grand Standing egotistical fat head who was grabbing and touching the masks with his grubby dirty little unwashed THAI hands. No gloves not straight out of clean packaging. Sorry, he was way wrong. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You clearly don't comprehend my post. Transmission is by contact not airborne in the majority of cases. Masks are useless.

Think about this , someone is carrying the virus and he speaks in phone and the water from his mouth spread mostly in a lower areas some children touch that area and scratch the eyes 

And i can put it in this way we are foreigners when we go to another country and the health minister of that county is saying please wear a mask it's free also , for any kind of reason we believe it or not we have to do it because we are in public area 

Simply we can accept instead of fight , world is a lot better in this way

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sadeghsep said:

Think about this , someone is carrying the virus and he speaks in phone and the water from his mouth spread mostly in a lower areas some children touch that area and scratch the eyes 

And i can put it in this way we are foreigners when we go to another country and the health minister of that county is saying please wear a mask it's free also , for any kind of reason we believe it or not we have to do it because we are in public area 

Err no, really no. Ai Anutin's comments really haven't made the world a better place.

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Seeing it's been all over the news for about a week, yes I did. The fact remains that medical institutions are saying masks are not needed. 

No,they say that wearing a mask doesn't provide protection from being infected if you are not infected.The health warnings say if you are infected masks help to prevent spreading the infection if you are infected.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sadeghsep said:

The guy is a buffoon who is not a medical practitioner. 

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why does he makes racist comments about farang travelers instead of focusing on the source of the virus? 
He has to be very dissapointing that his local thai interview made the international news.

As he still says come on in Chinese. No problem just bring your tourist money. He has zero clue. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sadeghsep said:

i think he is right , everyone has to wear mask specially in crowded areas , we can't protect ourselves till everyone do it , free your mind from all those news that they say mask is not effective it's the least thing we can do  whatever you think it's dangerous or not because we don't know anything about the situation so let's not risk 

We know a great deal about the wearing of surgical masks.  This is not a new phenomenon but has been enacted for decades.  The comments of this so-called health minister feeds hysteria.

Health experts generally agree masks are useful if you have respiratory symptoms or are caring for patients.

But the World Health Organization's own Thailand office tweeted a graphic on Feb 4 stating masks are "not needed for general public who do not have respiratory symptoms".

I'll stick with the people that know.

14 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Just noticed your edit Not necessarily, it's likely passed on by contact not by someone without symptoms coughing on you

That's not what I read or learned the virus is carried in tiny droplets of water which can be transferred by contact and through people spraying these tiny droplets into the air by coughing, sneezing and talking.

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

That's not what I read or learned the virus is carried in tiny droplets of water which can be transferred by contact and through people spraying these tiny droplets into the air by coughing, sneezing and talking.

Again, if you're coughing and sneezing, you ain't out and about, you're flat on your back.