Not much of an apology: Health minister Anutin unrepentant after face mask tirade against "farang"

rooster59

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i see , so thai that ride motorcycles and don't use helmuts should have to walk; what an idiot

In quite some countries, when a motorcyclist refuse to wear a helmet, he/she HAS to walk, after getting a fine...

• Like 2

Before leaving the UK last week "the qualified Expert"on Radio 4 said such masks were pretty useless for this new Corona Virus, and that if you did not wear the proper close fitting respirator mask and close fitting glasses or goggles to protect the eye's, you would be as well having a beer!

Subsequently u[dated to not be in and enclosed environment, for more than 15 mins, Beer garden?

Don't know what that minister was trying to do????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

And the other bottom line the guy is an egotistical hot head ignoramus for not wearing gloves and passing out masks not properly stored and then taking off his mask to go on his unleashed open exposed mouth tirade. No excuse for many things he did 

.......And I bet he didn't wear a crash helmet on his way home.....????............????

27 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I doubt that millions of Thais visit Thailand on holiday.

I said of the same race, not of the same nationality.

"What about if these foreigners are the of the same race as himself."

How would you tell the difference in the appearance of a Thai, a Laotian, a Cambodian, a Burmese, a Chinaman or any other South East Asian. There are literally hundreds of millions of 'em.

Racist!? Because he refused a mask? 

'"The day will never come when I will apologize to foreigners".'

Oh, we foreigners - whose spending help to keep this country afloat - will bear that in mind, sunshine. We'll be damned sure to give you plenty more to rant about. And we'll be equally damned sure not to apologise to YOU for anything.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Again, if you're coughing and sneezing, you ain't out and about, you're flat on your back.

But you don't need to be coughing and sneezing to be carrying the virus!!! And just because you're coughing and sneezing doesn't mean you've got the virus - might just be a common cold - my wife had 2 or 3 weeks ago, and no, she wasn't flat on her back!

However, IF you are coughing and sneezing, it makes sense to (a) get checked out, and (b) wear a mask anyway to prevent passing on whatever you have to others.(My wife wore one, and washed her hands regularly, and guess what - I didn't catch her cold!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, transam said:

.......And I bet he didn't wear a crash helmet on his way home.....????............????

Probably true but look on the bright side. One wears a crash-hat to protect one's brain.

Enuff said...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

But you don't need to be coughing and sneezing to be carrying the virus!!! And just because you're coughing and sneezing doesn't mean you've got the virus - might just be a common cold - my wife had 2 or 3 weeks ago, and no, she wasn't flat on her back!

However, IF you are coughing and sneezing, it makes sense to (a) get checked out, and (b) wear a mask anyway to prevent passing on whatever you have to others.(My wife wore one, and washed her hands regularly, and guess what - I didn't catch her cold!

My wife doesn't generally wear a mask for a common cold. Nor do I. And guess what? WE don't tend to catch each others' colds.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

furious that a "farang" refused to accept his offer of a mask at a public event. He said the offer was made in a good spirit and it was wrong of the foreigner to criticize the Thais for helping out

Farang who stay here appreciate the importance of “face” but I imagine a tourist approached by him, his staff and loads of media maybe overwhelmed and refused. But if the minister thinks he lost face with that, then I am hear to tell him that his statement and now his response to the criticism, he has not only lost face but inflicted the same on those wonderful Thais who welcome farang here. If he was in my government I would expect his resignation on my desk as is the honorable thing to do. If not I would fire him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, monkfish said:

Not really he said Farang which refers to white caucasian and he praised all asians for wearing masks.

Yes and he probably hasn't got the guts to say it English so that any 'farang' tourist near could have understood him...well, that is if he can speak any English.

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No need to get too worked up about this inane tirade. It is likely he will be dismissed fairly soon.

A health minister who attributed positive effects to everyone wearing a surgical mask should be dismissed, indeed. Regardless he addresses foreigners or Thais.

• Like 1

While understanding that Farang means White Caucasian,Its an abhorrent term to use. As it is when White Caucasian folk use the word Yellow,..... With a few choice expletives added.

Edited by barney42bb
More appropriate wording.
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Just noticed your edit Not necessarily, it's likely passed on by contact not by someone without symptoms coughing on you

Someone not showing symptoms doesn't mean they are not infected - it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to show.

And I don't often see a person "coughing ON" another person anyway - in "our" world it's not polite - however, people who spit on the floor, and relieve themselves in buses, and generally behave like animals probably wouldn't think twice about it, so these are the people that should be forced to wear the masks as it seems this Government "doesn't want to offend" someone by letting them stream into the country!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"But any racist foreigner is not his friend, he intimated."   Out comes the truth..... Now you understand where you're living.......and that was just a scratch on the surface.......  So if someone refuses a mask they're a racist ?  This attitude was given license to the immigration dept by the Gov to attack all "Farangs" as much as their tiny racist minds wanted to.......... now look at the mess they're in.........  Personally i can't stop laughing at the hole they're digging, it's getting deeper by the hour........  Golden rule........ "Don't put em in charge and don't give em drink"......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BestB said:
6 hours ago, morrobay said:

Who cares what they say. Its a two way street. Look at all the negative/ condescending comments about Thais by foreigners around here.

The only difference no one here is a minister or member of a government 

How d'you know?!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 2

It's been 30 years that I travel around the world and live in Thailand . I do not agree on the fact that a health minister representing a nation allow themselves to have insulting words towards Europeans who live in his country, who often brings their know-how and also their money.

I wear a mask not for the virus.  Because he does not worry me but I wear a mask due to the catastrophic pollution that there is in Bangkok which kills thousands of people every year.

it would seem that the health representative of thailand should review these priorities or change advisers

• Like 2