Should we be aware of Thailand?

arfandy

The expert (@Sheryl) has spoken. Sheryl is invited to add to this comment but airplanes recirculate the air that you breath.

My X seemed to be prone to all kinds of viruses. More than once, we flew to a vacation destination and she was sick a few days after arrival.

• Like 1

32 confirmed cases of the virus both Chinese and Thai nationals I expect that number to increase vastly but that’s only my humble opinion . My wife’s currently in the U.K. visiting family I have suggested she might have to consider delaying her return if the situation gets worse . This virus appears to be getting worse as each day more people are dying which is very worrying . 

A small bulletproof vest not too heavy perhaps? ????

In the event of a new shooting in any public place? ????

Don't we say, never two without three ????

It goes without saying that I hope not!
However I see Thailand in a rather negative series
and prudence is the mother of safety!????

On 2/8/2020 at 11:20 AM, Sheryl said:

Thus far there are very few confirmed cases in Thailand though of course this could change since the incubation is fairly long.

You are in far more danger of an accident on the road coming from the airport to town than you are from coronavirus.

And the plane ride is of some potential concern depending on its routing and passengers. If in economy masks are a good idea and above all scrupulous hand washing especially after using lavatory (and hand sanitizer after that). Your biggest risk is if there is an infected person on the plane with you.

I personally wouldn't worry about a public taxi from the airport but it is true that a private car would likely have seen less passengers. 

I can't update you re air quality in Bangkok as I am nto there now, see what others say. And rememeber it flunctuates from day to day.

Make sure you have your 'flu jab.  It gives around 60% protection and you are much more likely to catch that!

Note: Sorry, I meant to quote the OP not you.

Edited by HHTel
correction

10 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Won't help you here. What you need are amulets, lots of them. 

I agree, hung on heavy chains round the neck. Kids size ones for the family. Also wise to add a framed portrait photograph or two of assorted Thai big cheeses, for added insurance.

You'll be fine.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

As far as the air pollution is concerned download the AirVisual app to your phone, that will give you updated live info on the PM 2.5 levels and other stuff. ???? 

As far as the air pollution goes, it really doesn't matter what it is. He's already got the air tickets bought, which he can't cancel or get a refund...the wife is gonna have a baby...so he'll work out something.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

As far as the air pollution goes, it really doesn't matter what it is. He's already got the air tickets bought, which he can't cancel or get a refund...the wife is gonna have a baby...so he'll work out something.

And if he knows the levels of PM 2.5 he can make an informed decision as to what type of face masks to buy for his family and what to do and not do, like jogging or other outdoor activities, which was sort of the reason I posted it really, that obviously went over your head. 

16 hours ago, arfandy said:

I wish i was farang. And i wish we could get full refund for 6-month old pre-booked flight tickets. 

You should hope your airline cancels flights to Thailand then. Travel insurance should then cover you. Simples.

Driving around the Superhighway toward Kad Suan Kaew here in Chiang Mai this afternoon and we could not even see Doi Suthep with a 162 AQI “unhealthy” reading. I’m wondering if the air pollution is slowing down or speeding up the spread of Coronavirus? Yes, I know ... doubt that the pollution is killing anything but us over time.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's that?

I understand pregnancy and purpose but both together sound strange. Do you want to have sex to that you get pregnant? I am pretty sure that would also work outside of Thailand. And as far as I know there are also hospitals and midwifes in other countries.

So what exactly do you have in mind that you have to be in Thailand for "pregnancy purpose"?

He lives in a country in the region where health care is substandard and is coming here with his family in advance of his wife's due date for delivery.

Back to topic please.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

A small bulletproof vest not too heavy perhaps? ????

In the event of a new shooting in any public place? ????

Don't we say, never two without three ????

It goes without saying that I hope not!
However I see Thailand in a rather negative series
and prudence is the mother of safety!????

Maybe you should visit the USA. It seems they have mass killings usually several times a month. 

Then, when you come back, you will feel safe again in Thailand. 

Avoiding groups of Chinese tourists could be a good strategy. They are usually identifiable by the person at the head of the group carrying a sign or flag, although some Japanese may also be led around in similar fashion.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, Surelynot said:

Stay at home. Problem solved. If you are a farang no one wants you here anyway.

It is wrong to say that nobody wants you here, the government certainly don't unless you spend a lot of money on an Elite Visa for which you get very little in return.

The majority of ordinary Thai people are happy for western people to be here, and will make you welcome.

• Like 2

Ditch the crosses and garlic.

use the hand sanitiser religiously...and dont touch public surfaces if you can.

escalator rails, subway handlebars etc....if you do use the sanitiser.

and be very aware of touching your face, mouth, rubbing eyes...that's

a very good way to get sick.

stay away from very crowded environments and avoid shaking hands for now.

I would recommend a mask for the mrs. but I dont see them as a critical component.

Hygiene is more important.