Pattaya: Elderly German man fatally shoots himself after TB diagnosis

rooster59

17 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

but if you were a property owner, would you want someone to commit suicide in your property?

Absolutely not. It would limit the market value of the property, since Thais believe the ghost of the deceased will haunt the premises.✌

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm 65 and I can't see the point of going on even though I live in a nice house and have a family and enough money.

75 and living in a bedsit with a nasty and expensive disease to cure, when you're broke, why would you want to carry on?

Usually caught from someone you live with, I'd be testing the Thai lady that looked after him for the past 14 years.

An American lady I know who was working with elephants as a trainer, caught TB from an elephant, she did recover after months of medication in the form of injections,

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

and nobody heard a gun shot at the time he did it  ?  they are quite loud.

I don't know.  1 shot, inside the bathroom, bathroom closed door, room closed door, gun in mouth muffles things a bit.  The gun pop no doubt was heard but depending on the time of day not a big concern obviously since nobody seems to have reported anything.  Waning Chinese New Year celebration, loud firecracker, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

I don't know.  1 shot, inside the bathroom, bathroom closed door, room closed door, gun in mouth muffles things a bit.  The gun pop no doubt was heard but depending on the time of day not a big concern obviously since nobody seems to have reported anything.  Waning Chinese New Year celebration, loud firecracker, etc.

ok agree .....  i'm thinking about his age & TB. 

do you think 75 is old  ?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

What enjoyments are you anticipating at age 75+?

Probably impotent, can't wee or poop properly, maybe constant joint and back pain.

I've just reached 65 and the slippery slope down has already started.

typically people become more introspective as they age.

meditation, enjoying memories, spirituality, often tv and computer stuff, old movies etc. hobbies. telling stories if anyones around.

not all about sex or bars at that age. things change.

• Like 2

Maybe - pure speculation and no disrespect intended to the departed - he took his life as the TB diagnosis now made the mandatory insurance impossible for his next visa extension; that type of condition in a 75 year old would have not been of any interest to any insurance company. And he simply had no where else to go and no choices left. 

Pure speculation I know. 

I hope this gentleman has found peace.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What enjoyments are you anticipating at age 75+?

Probably impotent, can't wee or poop properly, maybe constant joint and back pain.

I've just reached 65 and the slippery slope down has already started.

Jeez thanks I say as I near the end of my 64th!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The best cure for joint and back pain is regular exercise and resistance training,

Are you sure about that?  I thought the best treatment was sitting in a bar all day, getting drunk with hookers.  ????

Edited by Leaver

I could understand it if he had a terminal disease like cancer but TB ? 

TB is curable, and he could get free healthcare in Germany. It could take 2-3 years to heal, but he could still enjoy many years after that.  

On 2/10/2020 at 12:29 PM, jonclark said:

Maybe - pure speculation and no disrespect intended to the departed - he took his life as the TB diagnosis now made the mandatory insurance impossible for his next visa extension; that type of condition in a 75 year old would have not been of any interest to any insurance company. And he simply had no where else to go and no choices left. 

Pure speculation I know. 

I hope this gentleman has found peace.  

other then throwing youself at the mercy (or lack thereof) of your home country, but you really have to want to live to do that at 75.