Thailand keeps doors open to Chinese tourists

snoop1130

Go on a tangent here..

Probably there are 10s of 1000s of cases here already (and 100s of 1000s in China)

Many may have had mild symptoms...some heavier..hardly any would have been tested for the virus

A few might have died too...again..if not tested properly how would we know

The official numbers are window dressing (as they should)

I wouldn't reveal the true dimensions of a potentially very lethal virus if I was in govt either

The panic would be worse than the disease

Edited by Vigilante
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I wish there was a country that was a PURE democracy, or even a good Republic.  I'm sure the 70 million Thais would vote 99.9% to NOT allow Chinese in. 

Yes, I am pretty sure that those of the largely xenophobic Thai ethnicity would vote to shut the doors.

However, their wish would be summarily ignored by the hugely rich and extremely influential Sino-Thai ethnic minority for whom this and all previous 'democratic' Thai governments have given their unspoken and unwritten allegiance.

• Like 2

This has got to be a joke!! But sure, this is Thailand's chance to attract more Chinese as they don't have many places where they can travel too now. Welcome them and their money and if a few million Thai's get sick with the Coronavirus who cares? Amazing Thailand.. always good for a laugh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"We are 100% in control of the situation," Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has been repeatedly saying to the public since the beginning of the outbreak.

------------------------------

IMHO he's more out of control rather then in control of anything in this country expect for his expertise in the distribution of propaganda.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Shame on the the Generals wearing suits; i just hope someone in their families catches this horrible virus !

Oh they will but they have a cure .. Spen Spend Spend ... It’s supposed to be the global cure found by government ..... It won’t really matter if all the population is dead .... The other countries will soon stop all transport to and from Thailand to be stopped and then they will feel backlash for the foolish actions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Like influenza with the same outcome, don't see people with the flu being put into quarantine. Influenza has killed more people worldwide than corona ever will and does so every year, get used to it.

It's about mortality rates not grand totals. Outside of the past flu pandemics and despite the recent, attention-grabbing "ordinary flu kills 10,000 in US this year alone", that doesn't detract that SARS, MERS and this novel coronavirus has a higher mortality rate versus depth of exposure and rate of infection.

It's the difference between only being winged versus a head shot on this particular battlefield.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps when there are enough sick and infected people who do not pay their hospital bills they may rethink

the policy, or when western country’s close the door on thai nationals as they did with Chinese , they will think again , only by then might be little too late 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

The local infection rate must be higher ... it is in the math.

You are more than likely right, the stated number would be the exact or near the exact number if the traceabilty was maintained and the outbreak was under control (i.e. currently contained).  Once that containment is broken then the stated number is like the tip of the iceberg (that is growing)... and the 'surprise' infection of a S. Korean in Thailand would seem to indicate the containment was broken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand seems to fail to realise that if the virus starts turning up in other countries via tourists going home from Thailand, it will destroy Thai tourism for a decade

Although I think the last statement is all a wee bit dramatic, the secondary paths of infection you point out is a valid point.

However, I seriously doubt that this possible transmission path has not been overlooked by the relevant health authorities of the countries where these non-Chinese tourists return to from Thailand. I would suggest that with the undeniable decrease in Chinese visitors to Thailand with the concurrent post high-season fall in tourists from the EU, US and the antipodes, this doesn't pose as much as a risk as it would seem. I agree, it only takes one but the likelihood of encountering that one isn't significant.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

The Thai Elite don't care about the general populace, all they care about is the financial impact if Thailand declares that it has 3 or 4 digit number of infected people. Given the number of Chinese visiting Thailand on a daily basis, the current lowly number of 32 being reported is highly dubious.

Fortunately they have a cast of thousands of lackeys, Govt, Army, Police to guard and patrol the perimeter of the trough for them so the big snouts can feed unhindered!

• Like 1

Maybe it won't kill me, but I sure don't want to become infected by carriers from China - which is exactly what the Thai authorities are encouraging, despite the contingency travel precautions put in place by other Asian countries including China itself. 

It's insane, IMO, and only a matter of time before Thailand becomes a hub for Coronavirus victims. Any doubters only has to visit a government hospital - as I have done recently - there are hundreds of old and sick passing through or waiting to see a doctor, and most will only be given meds and told to go back home.

This government beggars belief in it's blase statements to the public - how the <deleted> do they have it under control..?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fore Man said:

But let’s be clear on this. Isn’t it possible that the official number of 32 is a sham being foisted on the world, when the real incidence of infections in Thailand is very likely an order of magnitude higher?

With the Thai people's love for social media and very noticeable, recent use of it to bypass bureaucratic and cultural obstacles and get several inappropriate, illegal or corrupt goings on well into the public domain, I am fairly confident that the nations' hard-working nurses and doctors at government hospitals are not party to such a grand scale cover up as you suggest.

But far be it from me to stop you chasing your wild geese. You probably need the exercise anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fore Man said:

The biggest indicator of Thai politicization of this devastating contagion is that the public health minister himself is not a seasoned medical professional as would be required...mandated really...in a modern society. 

Go ahead and check the medical or health professional qualifications of various, western government's 'health ministers' and get back to us with the results.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Shame on the the Generals wearing suits; i just hope someone in their families catches this horrible virus !

Please don't exaggerate. it's not a horrible virus. It's actually not more than a flu-virus for a normal healthy person 

I don't plan on going to Pattaya, Bangkok, the floating markets around Bangkok nor Chiang Mai anytime soon.

Of course, I will have to go to 

Suvarnabhumi in order to kick out

Can't avoid all risk, but you can seek to minimize it.

For example, I plan on paying extra not to fly through China and instead go through Qatar, so I won't be hanging out in line at any of the Chinese airlines. ✓

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

Looking at the news this virus is on the increase daily

Most countries have now introduced rules on who can enter their country 

Thailand mean while still allows the Chinese tourist in at their peril 

Never mind the ones who are already here

The Prime Minister might have some explaining to do when things head south

• Like 2