Thailand keeps doors open to Chinese tourists

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

You may be surprised to know that humid air is less dense than dry air. It has to do with the molecule make-up of the air. But given the same temperature, and all other conditions are the same, a baseball will (usually) travel farther on a humid day than when the air is dry. 

Then why is it a given that moist dark clouds can hang against mountaintops? Mountaintops have cool air, dry or moist i don't know but the rain clouds can't get over the top....they hang there for a while, cool off and it starts raining.

About that basball i believe you but i'll give that a good thought why it won't fly that far in dry air...maybe there's less air restance in humid air? Or the ball gets a better spin? i'll think about that one.

11 minutes ago, Thian said:

Go to the mountains, wait for very dark clouds to come...you'll see that those can't fly over the mountaintops and will stay there for a while before they start loosing their water (rain).

Go to a house in Europe...the basement is always more humid than the rest of the house (and cooler)...that cool humid air will not rise up.....so it's more heavy than the air on the ground floor i guess. Even when that air gets heated it won't rise.

Steam from a boiling kettle rises yes but that's from the very high temperature i think....if that boiling kettle is in a basement the steam will stay in the basement, isn't it?

What you are calling steam is water droplets not water vapour. water vapour is invisible.

Clouds that you are talking about are made of water droplets and in many cases tiny ice crystals. Thats why you can see them. You are surrounded by water vapour all the time but you cant see it touch it or feel it.

You should read an explanation of 'Relative Humidity'

Relative humidity is the % of water vapour in the air expressed as a % of the  water vapour that air could hold at that temperature and pressure without condensation occurring. ( Sometimes called Dew Point )

Clouds appear because as air rises it cools so cant hold as much water vapour and it reaches saturation, dew point, and water droplets form. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You are surrounded by water vapour all the time but you cant see it touch it or feel it.

Sure we can feel it, humid air feels very different than dry air...especially in Thailand.

I have a bedroom in a basement in Holland, with an airdryer....i 've thought a lot about relative humidity and how to get that basement dry without that airdryer but nothing seems to work (except that machine which can filter out watervapour from air by cooling it down so it condenses). The humid air won't rise up to the first floor, it's cooler humid air though but if it's less dense it should rise up to ground floor, no?)

When i heat the air in the basement the humidity goes down but why is the air not rising to ground floor then since it's warmer than on ground floor....When that air cools down again the water vapour is still in it....

37 minutes ago, Thian said:

Sure we can feel it, humid air feels very different than dry air...especially in Thailand.

I have a bedroom in a basement in Holland, with an airdryer....i 've thought a lot about relative humidity and how to get that basement dry without that airdryer but nothing seems to work (except that machine which can filter out watervapour from air by cooling it down so it condenses). The humid air won't rise up to the first floor, it's cooler humid air though but if it's less dense it should rise up to ground floor, no?)

When i heat the air in the basement the humidity goes down but why is the air not rising to ground floor then since it's warmer than on ground floor....When that air cools down again the water vapour is still in it....

When you say you say you can feel humidity what you are saying is that the sweat you produce can't evaporate so it tends to stay liquid on your skin and thats what you feel.

As for your basement the only thing you can do is have an air drier that pulls in air from outside and dries it on the way in and leaves the water outside, not collected in the basement.

As for the 'less dense air' getting out by rising you also need some way for air to get in to replace it. If you have door at the top of the stairs to the basement and its closed you're just producing a closed cell of air.

Years ago in UK we had a similar problem with a cellar in a very old house. Always felt damp and sticky.

We has the cellar 'tanked' as they called it. Its a kind of plaster applied that when it dries becomes a watetproof layer on the floor and walls.

You stilll need a free flow ventilation system of some kind.

Edited by overherebc

33 minutes ago, overherebc said:

As for your basement the only thing you can do is have an air drier that pulls in air from outside and dries it on the way in and leaves the water outside, not collected in the basement.

No i have an airdryer which just circulates the same air from inside, it cools it down so water condenses and then it warms up the air again.

yes also the door on top of the stairs is always open but that doesn't help anything, the humid air will always stay down. That's why i think it's more heavy and won't rise...i don't know if dense air is the same as more heavy air though.

And yes that basement has special coating all around because the water vapor condenses at the cold walls....

Today my wife stays home, she has the flu.....????

41 minutes ago, Thian said:

No i have an airdryer which just circulates the same air from inside, it cools it down so water condenses and then it warms up the air again.

yes also the door on top of the stairs is always open but that doesn't help anything, the humid air will always stay down. That's why i think it's more heavy and won't rise...i don't know if dense air is the same as more heavy air though.

And yes that basement has special coating all around because the water vapor condenses at the cold walls....

Today my wife stays home, she has the flu.....????

Dry Air 1 cubic metre weighs 

1.295 kg.

Water vapour 1 cubic metre weighs  .756182 kg.

Anyway you need a forced ventilation system.

Hope your wife doesn't have 

anything worse than a bad cold.

Edited by overherebc

Anyway to go back to the 'would the virus not sink to the ground' question.

Maybe, but only if the air was perfectly still. Even in still air all the litle molecules are still bumping around trying to get away from each other so I don't think the idea would work.

On a plane, train or bus air vents and people moving about cause all sorts of eddies and air movements that keep everything moving around.

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Then why is it a given that moist dark clouds can hang against mountaintops? Mountaintops have cool air, dry or moist i don't know but the rain clouds can't get over the top....they hang there for a while, cool off and it starts raining.

About that basball i believe you but i'll give that a good thought why it won't fly that far in dry air...maybe there's less air restance in humid air? Or the ball gets a better spin? i'll think about that one.

This is easily explained in about a dozen sites on page 1 of a Google search. The fact is...moist air is lighter and less dense than dry air, regardless whether you accept it or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Anyway to go back to the 'would the virus not sink to the ground' question.

Maybe, but only if the air was perfectly still.

On a plane, train or bus air vents and people moving about cause all sorts of eddies and air movements that keep everything moving around.

The aerosols usually shear if there's turbulence. If you've ever tried to spray paint in windy conditions you've witnessed that first hand. Once they do shear, they are either picked up again or splash on to surfaces.

Need a bloody degree in aerodynamics to avoid the virus. 

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

The aerosols usually shear if there's turbulence. If you've ever tried to spray paint in windy conditions you've witnessed that first hand. Once they do shear, they are either picked up again or splash on to surfaces.

Need a bloody degree in aerodynamics to avoid the virus. 

Or a pilots licence and find a way to stay above 11 kilometres in height for a few months. ????

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

This is easily explained in about a dozen sites on page 1 of a Google search. The fact is...moist air is lighter and less dense than dry air, regardless whether you accept it or not. 

Even sound waves travel at different speeds in dry air and air that has water vapour in it.

Re' the baseball. Air with water vapour in it is less dense so is more easily pushed aside by the travelling ball allowing it to go a bit faster and further.

'Elasticity' of the air changes with water vapour in it.

Re' the clouds can't get over the mountain.

As the leading edge of the clould hits the much colder air at that height more of still existing water vapour is forced out and bigger water droplets are formed that tend to drop out of the cloud. Two things can then happen to them. One they may fall as rain. Two they may be pulled back into the cloud as water vapour if the air being pushed back up the mountain is warm enough to cause that. A lot depends on the temperature of the air mass being pushed against the mountain and rising up.

Look up Adiabatic cooling and anabatic and catabatic winds.

images (1).jpeg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

Thailand is, in effect, little more than a southern province of China now and takes it's orders like good servants from Beijing. Probably where all the nasty immigration policies are coming from too as the Chinese have pretty much said they are going to get rid of as much western influence in Asia as possible. The screw will only tighten as the Thais and other natives in SE Asia are all walking blindly off a cliff whilst their elites sell them out.

• Like 1

The only reason that could possibly make sense for this clowns approach is because the country is incapable of containment.  So rather than being seen as incompetent, better to be seen as invincible.
This is not going to go well in the coming days/weeks.

It would not surprise me if I get quarantined when they see I am arriving from Thailand.  

1 hour ago, Nowisee said:

The only reason that could possibly make sense for this clowns approach is because the country is incapable of containment.  So rather than being seen as incompetent, better to be seen as invincible.
This is not going to go well in the coming days/weeks.

It would not surprise me if I get quarantined when they see I am arriving from Thailand.  

That is one reason to leave sooner rather than later, also the fact that I personally wouldn't want to be in a 3rd world country during an expansive natural disaster such as an epidemic. 

Edited by ExpatLife

On 2/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, whiteman said:

money b4 thai people

Thai's don't care 

They love smoke

They love pestercide on their food

They don't give a <deleted> about their health why should they worry about a silly little virus

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, seajae said:

the idiot health minister is more concerned with sucking up to his  chinese masters than he is with his own peoples lives. Goes to show how pathetic this govt is, they will not be happy till Thailand has a death toll like china's, the people really need to wake up to themselves and toss these cretins out of govt at the nest elections and hopefully it wont be too late to fix up everything these imbeciles have stuffed. 

He has No power.. Only 1 man controls all these departments and we know eho he is.. All these heads of Departments are just puppets.