"Forward thinking" Thai school bans homework - director believes Finland model is better

webfact

"Forward thinking" Thai school bans homework - director believes Finland model is better

screenshot_10604.jpg

One of Thailand's oldest and most respected schools in Bangkok has created a big stir by banning homework.

Wat Bowonniwet School in Banglamphoo teaches boys in secondary.

The director said from the start of the next school year in May there will be no homework. They plan to promote more activities outside the classroom rather than giving their students so much extra work to do at home.

The director told Channel 7 that he had received so many complaints from the students themselves that homework was ruining their lives, making them stressed and causing them not to want to go to school. They didn't even understand their homework.

Many were doing 3 hours a night and that meant they couldn't do other things they were interested in.

The director said that he had studied education models in Finland where students - even sixth formers - get virtually no homework and where the children are much happier.

screenshot_10605.jpg

And, tellingly, where educational standards are among the highest in the whole world.

The media said the online "No Homework School" announcement has caused some incredulity but also resulted in much praise from parents for the school's forward thinking.

Wat Bowonniwet School has 234 students and 31 teachers, said Channel 7. The school is 127 years old and has survived the reigns of six Chakri Dynasty kings since the time of Rama V.

Thaivisa notes that the Finnish education system featured heavily in Michael Moore's film "Where to Invade Next".

Students in the European country, where standards are about the best in the world, didn't even understand the concept of homework because they hardly ever had to do any. They understood that time out of school was meant to be spent with family and on other activities.

Even sixth formers - weighed down with homework in most education systems - got just 20 minutes a day, they said in the movie.

However, what the Channel 7 report did not mention but what also featured in Michael Moore's film is that teacher training in Finland is extremely extensive.

For a Finnish model to work in most Thai schools, teacher training would need to be stepped up dramatically, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-20
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

in the USA more than 20 years ago the workload in public and private schools exploded.

you kept up or fell by the way side.

i was dating a woman with a 14 year old daughter who was top in her class and she was so stressed she was on medication.

but that is how it is now. Thailand is so far behind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

However, what the Channel 7 report did not mention but what also featured in Michael Moore's film is that teacher training in Finland is extremely extensive.

For a Finnish model to work in most Thai schools, teacher training would need to be stepped up dramatically, notes Thaivisa.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:That was EXACTLY what I immediately thought after reading of director Ketsomchart Areemitr's decision to introduce the "Finnish model" at his esteemed school. Thank you, ThaiVisa, for pointing this out as well. Now, please, forward your observations to both Ch7 and the director -- I'm quite sure they're not aware of the fact that "no homework" is inextricably linked to and hinged on "superior teacher training".

While I am totally in favor of easing - or even eliminating - students' homework burden and replace it with activities that stimulate their minds and bodies, thus making their lives more enjoyable and less stressful, it is all for nought if the teaching quality during regular school hours is abysmally bad.  

As famous and reputable as Mr. Areemitr's school may be, he already indirectly admitted that the quality of his educators is lacking by saying that his pupils...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

...didn't even understand their homework.

That hardly would be possible if the school's teacher body were up to par. The entire point of homework is to recap the lessons and deepen the understanding of the subjects that were administered. If students "don't even understand their homework" something must be going horribly wrong at that school -- no matter how "respected" it is.     

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 2

I see. So. The results of Thai students in internatioal standings are disastrous, so naturally, they will stop giving homework.

Obviously.

And they didn't understand their homework, which means they didn't understand their classwork, so stop giving homework.

Obviously.

And they really wonder why Thai students do so badly? Really? I don't, and I've taught at a well-known school. The students are a complete shambles, with the exception of a very small minority who take their education seriously. A *very* small minority. The rest are clowns whose parents think that school fees are the price of a pass certificate, not a part of the price of a good education.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, whiteman said:

So no homework they just get more Dumber than they currently are, Kids of today ok mum home early no homework on to the computer games

homework does not equal knowledge. Do you know this difference between declarative and procedural knowledge? Learning skills? Learning how to apply knowledge? Can't be done by rote learning. This is a step in the right direction.

The focus of most comments in this thread seem to be focused on teaching with little mention of learning.

Learning is a collaborative process not just the responsibility of one person or dependent on one strategy … it required a blended approach.

Learning is no longer something that just happens in early years but needs to be a lifelong activity .… 'lifelong learning' 

The Strategy in the article may well work … it depends on what the traditional homework is replaced with … if it encourages the child to be more responsible for their own learning, to become independent learners, to be able to collaborate more easily, to be better researchers, to be able to quantify their own personal learning networks (PLN) .… then that would be brilliant.

… and while we are here .… try a Google search for 'The Flipped Classroom' … of even check it on Youtube ????

At last 1 teacher with insight about how you get the smartest kids to learn

The thai education system is a disaster - maybe others will follow and teacher training to get the most done in the classroom - if a teacher is doing the job well - no need for homework

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:That was EXACTLY what I immediately thought after reading of director Ketsomchart Areemitr's decision to introduce the "Finnish model" at his esteemed school. Thank you, ThaiVisa, for pointing this out as well. Now, please, forward your observations to both Ch7 and the director -- I'm quite sure they're not aware of the fact that "no homework" is inextricably linked to and hinged on "superior teacher training".

While I am totally in favor of easing - or even eliminating - students' homework burden and replace it with activities that stimulate their minds and bodies, thus making their lives more enjoyable and less stressful, it is all for nought if the teaching quality during regular school hours is abysmally bad.  

As famous and reputable as Mr. Areemitr's school may be, he already indirectly admitted that the quality of his educators is lacking by saying that his pupils...

That hardly would be possible if the school's teacher body were up to par. The entire point of homework is to recap the lessons and deepen the understanding of the subjects that were administered. If students "don't even understand their homework" something must be going horribly wrong at that school -- no matter how "respected" it is.     

Yeh, exactly. The 'Thai visa notes' comment was my own (as the translator) as this is an issue that, like you, I feel very strongly about. I will make more comments on this on Sunday in The Week That Was.

Thanks for your post.

Rooster

• Like 1

What a great idea no homework Now they can play with there mobile phones a lot more. Who cares if they dont do homework. Everybody passes in Thailand. I reckon the next best thing is for the students to stay home and do nothing and the teachers can do all their homework and tests. Kids dont need to learn anything do they? Just make them more lazier than they are now 

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Then the problem lies with the teaching of the subject matter, not doing homework. 

Exactly, it's not the quantity it's the quality..

homework was meant to teach students to work on their own initiative at home, then grade their effort when handing in work.

Like most things it got out of control and became another way to make up for what was not being taught in the classroom during normal hours!

The Finland is obviously well known for the achievements in their schools....the success with not having students do homework is also making great progress.

It no doubt suits this director to follow suit....unfortunately, he forgets that the students need to be taught in the first instance....something he and the education department doesn't know anything about.

• Like 1