Thailand road carnage: 2,261 killed at the scene since the start of the year

webfact

Thailand road carnage: 2,261 killed at the scene since the start of the year

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that 50 people died at the scene of road accidents in Thailand yesterday bringing the total for the year so far to 2,261.

In February to date 875 people have been killed.

The media cautions that this is just those killed at the scene - in reality when victims who die in hospitals and all jurisdictions report their numbers the stats are much higher.

Senior figures in the Thai government have accepted that the annual death toll on Thai roads is in excess of 20,000 and some activists say the figure is around 25,000 a year, notes Thaivisa.

9pm2.jpg

Daily News

As part of their campaign to improve road safety Daily News highlighted the dangers of motorcyclist going the wrong way on roads.

One rider on a Honda Click who did that near the IRPC refinery on Sukhumvit Road in Rayong paid with their life after smashing head on into a ten wheel truck carrying plastic.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-21
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

Senior figures in the Thai government have accepted that the annual death toll on Thai roads is in excess of 20,000

Well it must be ok then! Onward and upward! I'm gonna buy a new watch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

As part of their campaign to improve road safety Daily News highlighted the dangers of motorcyclist going the wrong way on roads.

Not just bikes ...We have quite a busy/fast section of road near where we live. When I take the wife to the airport link for work in the morning one side often gets jammed. I have seen on quite a few occasions cars just go onto the wrong side of the road and drive at high speed to avoid the jam. I am waiting for a huge accident to happen, and just hope we are not involved. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ParkerN said:

What are the police for then if they can't even stop this from happening?

Collecting money.  There are two police stations on Suk in Pattaya.  I would say four drivers run the red lights every change.  There is NEVER a cop on duty.  They are always up the road sticking up motorists near the Ambassador and now on Rot Fai.  If you go into soi 9 Police Station Beach Road ANY day, you will see their ONE-STOP Mint coining in over 10K every HOUR!  This despite Chonburi having the 2nd worst casualty figures in Thailand which has the second worst figures in the World.

Spidermike, I nave to agree with your short story. I have had many close calls, and a good friend of mine was rear ended by a careless driver 2 days ago. He will not be returning to Thailand again

and feels lucky to still be alive, even tho his arms and legs will take a month to heal. My Thai family are all good drivers who have to dodge the lousy ones in Bangkok every day, and some of the worst are, hisos, or even police. The new worst drivers on motorbikes are the green Grab,

and pink Panda delivery guys and gals.. Amaingly dangerous Thailand..

Geezer

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Farangs are getting just as bad on motorbikes, no helmets to start with I clocked one the other day ran a red light and was moving also the other day I was sitting waiting to turn left at the lights I've got my indicator on just as Im about to move a Farang came up the inside of me Im always looking in the left hand mirror it happens a lot

Clearly he has learned to integrate well with the local driving culture. One could actually make a case for how safe the roads are here considering how crazy it is ... Only 20K to 30K a year is not bad when you consider how wild it is with what I believe is more than 30 million registered vehicles.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

One rider on a Honda Click who did that near the IRPC refinery on Sukhumvit Road in Rayong paid with their life after smashing head on into a ten wheel truck carrying plastic

Some people just don't learn.

It is a good idea to NOT thwart the will of Buddha. He didn't like wheels all that much, motors much less so. A wonder of goodwill that so many don't die on the roads of Thailand, I'd suspect.  Notice the weasel words for the internet?

23 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Odd, I thought that was against the law and yet I've seen it on Thai roads for years, often right opposite a Police sub-station without consequence. Normal practice for Thais.

The police are very clever. They've worked out that they get paid whether they work or not. So they don't. Meanwhile, my wife is going to a funeral today of the son of one of her friends who was in an 'accident'. The son of a neighbour was also killed in an 'accident', from the same house where someone drove out from a party and killed a motorcyclist going past.

Let's be careful out there.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Farangs are getting just as bad on motorbikes, no helmets to start with I clocked one the other day ran a red light and was moving also the other day I was sitting waiting to turn left at the lights I've got my indicator on just as Im about to move a Farang came up the inside of me Im always looking in the left hand mirror it happens a lot

Well to be honest, especially given that turning left at a red light is legal here and that mbikes legally should, I believe, always stay on the far left inside of all traffic, you should always leave enough room for a bicycle or mbike to turn a left corner inside of you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I hate the creepers, the ones who start driving on the shoulder continuously pulling out into mad traffic instead of waiting for a clear road and gunning it.

Yes, and also when they do something wrong, like pulling out in front of you, instead of doing it as quickly as possible, they do it dead slow (creep out) as if that makes it OK....while, of course, looking the other way!!!

• Like 1

The solution to keep a whole people under control from the 0,001% is not to educate them in everything but to make them proud to be the best in the world even if they are the worst prepared on everything starting from universities and to give them minimum services with minimum wages only for to survive, this works very well see Thailand, but it is already a way that other countries are already copying.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I hate the creepers, the ones who start driving on the shoulder continuously pulling out into mad traffic instead of waiting for a clear road and gunning it.

Thais in general don't like to wait, hence their behaviour on the roads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 12:42 PM, ParkerN said:

Odd, I thought that was against the law and yet I've seen it on Thai roads for years, often right opposite a Police sub-station without consequence. Normal practice for Thais.

The people who could make a difference, I mean the the rank buying Lt/Cols and Maj/Gens etc, are too busy posing in their nice uniforms with all the badges, wings, and bling to bother instructing the normal policemen to get out on the roads and do their jobs.