Is thailand wanting to stay in medieval times ?

Liverpudlian

9 hours ago, Selatan said:

Pity you farangs. You don't know how the Chinese do business. The Chinese always think for the long term. They don't have problem writing off debts because they want to maintain good relationships. One day you may be down, but one day you may be up and become a bigger customer or even return a favour.

Why China’s belt and road loans may not be the debt trap other countries fear

No need to pity me, and thanks for the lecture on how the Chinese do business. Quoting the South Chiina Morning Post, a known propaganda arm of the PRC tells me all I need to know.

Tell your masters that those of us who watch in the west and keep ourselves informed know that the the Mandate of Heaven is on shaky grounds, and as the West and East start removing China from the supply chain, they need to ask themselves whether they can maintain their rice bowl by selling 25 cent flip flops to Cambodians.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Sorry, just wanted to give you the benefit of my greater experience. No need to be shy tell us about yours.

Reminds me of the old joke, 

Q: Why do Aussie blokes cum so fast?

A: So they can rush down the boozer to tell all their mates what they did.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few of us are married to, or involved with middle or upper class women here.

Or know any middle class or upper class Thais at all. All impressions about Thai culture, knowledge, and attitudes is based solely on interaction with poor ignorant farmers or uneducated refugees from farms. From that statistical sample we pontificate.

And I love that fact.

Can't much contradict you, eh?

I will take a simple Thai woman, with a huge heart, over an upper class woman any day.

Good on yer. Then best not to spend time on an international forum denigrating Thais, Thai culture, and Thai women, and pontificating about all the improvements Thais need to make to their own country under your direction--as so many here do even while married to a Thai. In fact some of our biggest bigots are married to Thai women, some of whom seem to be excellent caregivers. Me, I’d be ashamed, but that’s just me.

And my woman is anything but ignorant.

Why not then just let your woman post more intelligent comments here in your place? This is in general a good idea that would greatly lift the whole intellectual level of the forum, not to mention the entertainment value. Yeah, shut up, and let the wives (or gf) post. Love that.

But this contradicts your portentous farang “threat” assessment. If the lower classes aren’t in fact ignorant, then farangs such yourself have nothing to tell them they don’t already know. Nothing to fear from farang then. ????

By large numbers of Thais, I wonder what percent you are referring to? At least 65% of the population is identified as being below middle class. And what percent of middle class Thais do you think "travel abroad regularly"?

What percentage of the Thai population do you imagine are “threatened” by the miniscule presence of powerless farang to whom nobody pays attention except captive powerless low class wives? And what percentage of that percentage has any desire or any power act with any effect on that perceived threat?

Well, you have no idea of course, but whatever, eh.

But percentages are less relevant in the age of the internet. About two million Thais live abroad, 80,000 in Los Angeles alone. They’re all wired in, on social media and in LINE groups.

And then we have about 7 – 8 million traveling abroad yearly, also on social media and LINE. Been doing so for years.

And I should mention the thousands of Thais who either have studied abroad or are doing so now. Many have advanced degrees and are both more educated and smarter than you are.

They exercise all the influence, not the tiny fraction of farangs living here. Any threatening “ideas” you think you’re teaching, they already know and communicate to anyone who cares, as most don’t.

That’s why the idea of farangs here being some subversive “threat” is such a laughable farang delusion of grandeur. Individual low class farangs are often threatening, however, because of their crime & general idiocy, so it’s wonderful that Thai Immigration has tightened up the rules to get rid of some of the riff raff. They should tighten further.

Edited by BigStar

14 hours ago, Selatan said:

Over here in Malaysia, just like everywhere else, democracy is a joke. Elected representatives can switch sides overnight if the right amounts are offered. Voting every few years is meaningless if the voter has no power over the rep after the elections are over. Whereas rich individuals or corporations can gain control over elected reps using money. The former Malaysian PM, which was involved in the 1MDB scandal, gave millions of ringgits to many of the MPs from his party, obviously to secure their loyalty. Not sure how such a system is superior to China's political system, especially when we have lawmakers bickering all the time and nothing much gets done.

Good points. Democracy is not working out too well in the US right now. Although I will take what they offer, over a heinous regime like the Chicoms in China. Anything or anybody can be bought in the US. When it comes to the judicial system they have a form of corruption known as a high priced legal team. And when it comes to nearly all politicians at the national level, they have a form of corruption and bribery known as super pacs, and lobbyists. Trump has never once said NO, to a lobbyist that has visited him in the White House, unless they represented an environmental group or something progressive, like global warming. 

15 hours ago, Selatan said:

Over here in Malaysia, just like everywhere else, democracy is a joke. Elected representatives can switch sides overnight if the right amounts are offered. Voting every few years is meaningless if the voter has no power over the rep after the elections are over. Whereas rich individuals or corporations can gain control over elected reps using money. The former Malaysian PM, which was involved in the 1MDB scandal, gave millions of ringgits to many of the MPs from his party, obviously to secure their loyalty. Not sure how such a system is superior to China's political system, especially when we have lawmakers bickering all the time and nothing much gets done.

I know little about Malaysia, nor am I am expert on a society that is predominately Tamil, though I have spent a good deal of time in SE India. I used to live and work in India many years ago, for nearly 18 months, in addition to having traveled there several times prior to that, and since, and spending up to 6 months at a time there, prior to working there. I had the good fortune of traveling to 44 cities in 55 weeks, as director of marketing and new store development, for a major retail multinational company. I met alot of really brilliant Indians, and to this day am amazed at what they are capable of. I am truly convinced the nation is blessed with one of the top gene pools on the planet. Amazing people. Top, top minds. Of course, I was exposed to mostly well educated people. But, in general they are very sharp. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know little about Malaysia, nor am I am expert on a society that is predominately Tamil, though I have spent a good deal of time in SE India. I used to live and work in India many years ago, for nearly 18 months, in addition to having traveled there several times prior to that, and since, and spending up to 6 months at a time there, prior to working there. I had the good fortune of traveling to 44 cities in 55 weeks, as director of marketing and new store development, for a major retail multinational company. I met alot of really brilliant Indians, and to this day am amazed at what they are capable of. I am truly convinced the nation is blessed with one of the top gene pools on the planet. Amazing people. Top, top minds. Of course, I was exposed to mostly well educated people. But, in general they are very sharp. 

https://new-iq-test.com/iq-by-country/

IQ by country.

UK = 100

US = 98

Thailand = 91

India = 82

I'm afraid the stats don't agree with you.

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course there are exceptions, but generally, the Indians in Malaysia do not perform as well as the Chinese academically. The Malaysian government used to allocate university places based on race and the Indians benefited from that arrangement because they could get in even though they performed not as well as the Chinese. But after the racial quotas were removed, the Indians were not happy because fewer Indians got in.

And there's one thing that we Chinese have noticed about the Indians, especially those IT professionals from India - they are mostly good talkers but lousy doers. Talk much but can't do much, is what we always say about them. Of course there are always exceptions, but generally, they are lousy. Maybe you farangs like curled-tongue talkers, but look around you - how many things that you have bought in the past 5 years that were of Indian brands compared to Chinese ones?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selatan said:

And there's one thing that we Chinese have noticed about the Indians, especially those IT professionals from India - they are mostly good talkers but lousy doers. Talk much but can't do much, is what we always say about them. Of course there are always exceptions, but generally, they are lousy. Maybe you farangs like curled-tongue talkers, but look around you - how many things that you have bought in the past 5 years that were of Indian brands compared to Chinese ones?

Exactly the same as the Indians we see in the UK.

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

No need to pity me, and thanks for the lecture on how the Chinese do business. Quoting the South Chiina Morning Post, a known propaganda arm of the PRC tells me all I need to know.

Tell your masters that those of us who watch in the west and keep ourselves informed know that the the Mandate of Heaven is on shaky grounds, and as the West and East start removing China from the supply chain, they need to ask themselves whether they can maintain their rice bowl by selling 25 cent flip flops to Cambodians.

Actually the HK-based SCMP is more pro-West than pro-China. Read it and see.

Removing China from the supply chain? Easier said than done. Just one province in China is bigger than Vietnam. Long before the US-China trade war began, some Chinese manufacturers have moved labour-intensive operations to other countries because of China's economic rebalancing policy. China wanted more of its people to become consumers rather than savers. It didn't want a very high GDP growth which was unsustainable because of the high pollution problems. And it wanted to move up the value chain. And to a large extent, they are succeeding. Exports to GDP was at one time over 40%, but now it is lower than 20%, lower than world average:

China export dependency below world average: expert

9 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Actually the HK-based SCMP is more pro-West than pro-China. Read it and see.

I do, its called know your enemy. I wont bother with the rest of your party line.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. Democracy is not working out too well in the US right now. Although I will take what they offer, over a heinous regime like the Chicoms in China. Anything or anybody can be bought in the US. When it comes to the judicial system they have a form of corruption known as a high priced legal team. And when it comes to nearly all politicians at the national level, they have a form of corruption and bribery known as super pacs, and lobbyists. Trump has never once said NO, to a lobbyist that has visited him in the White House, unless they represented an environmental group or something progressive, like global warming. 

For a guy living in Thailand, you sure make a lot of bitter complaints about the US.

Politics in general, have never effected my day to day life what so ever.

To say Democracy is not working out well is just a foolish comment from a bitter person.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:11 AM, spidermike007 said:

We are a threat. We are teaching our women stuff they should not know about,

Seriously? Methinks you overestimate our influence on Thai women. I never met a Thai that thought I had anything important to teach them. I did try to educate my wife, but that was a lost cause.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

For a guy living in Thailand, you sure make a lot of bitter complaints about the US.

Politics in general, have never effected my day to day life what so ever.

To say Democracy is not working out well is just a foolish comment from a bitter person.

True. Watching the downfall of the US, for the past 30 years or so, has not been pleasant. Now, it is precipitous. Many will say the economy is thriving, and if you own real estate, are invested in the stock market, or if you are amongst the lucky top 10-20%, you are doing well. Otherwise, it is a struggle. And most seem unfulfilled. Do not know why that is so hear to hear, unless you are currently living through it. The culture has declined to a point where Hollywood only knows how to make "amusement park" movies, and the population gorges on reality TV. And if anything, IQ in the US seems to be declining. With an outdated immigration quota policy, that does not allow top graduates from MIT to stay and work in the US, no wonder the nation is declining. 

And if I am disappointed in what happened to my native country, does it not make more sense for me to live overseas? Are that not words put into action? I am simply an American willing to tell it like I see it. And just to clarify, I am not the least bit bitter, about anything in my life. I have a wonderful life. But, I am disappointed in the direction the US is going. Downhill fast!

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

True. Watching the downfall of the US, for the past 30 years or so, has not been pleasant. Now, it is precipitous. Many will say the economy is thriving, and if you own real estate, are invested in the stock market, or if you are amongst the lucky top 10-20%, you are doing well. Otherwise, it is a struggle. And most seem unfulfilled. Do not know why that is so hear to hear, unless you are currently living through it. The culture has declined to a point where Hollywood only knows how to make "amusement park" movies, and the population gorges on reality TV. And if anything, IQ in the US seems to be declining. With an outdated immigration quota policy, that does not allow top graduates from MIT to stay and work in the US, no wonder the nation is declining. 

And if I am disappointed in what happened to my native country, does it not make more sense for me to live overseas? Are that not words put into action? I am simply an American willing to tell it like I see it. And just to clarify, I am not the least bit bitter, about anything in my life. I have a wonderful life. But, I am disappointed in the direction the US is going. Downhill fast!

Negative people said that 50 years ago.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You point of view is delusional at best.

Maybe that is why you convince yourself Thailand is the place to be?

Sorry I don't know anyone unfulfilled?

You are mentioning it is a struggle for people NOT in the top 20% yet you never mention what a struggle it is for the 90% in Thailand?

Hollywood makes movies to make money the same as Thailand. You can't tell me those Thailand Soap Operas aren't the most foolish thing on TV?

You don't have to watch movies or TV if you have a real life!

40% of our entire company is foreigners (Fortune 50 company earning $90 Billion/year). We have a design center in India with a few thousand more. We have employees in 140 countries. You don't even have a clue what you are talking about. So here is a fact for you. Do you even realize the salaries paid for foreigners of high education levels (Masters and Phd) is 50% less that people from the USA? Trade off for being offered a Green Card. That means many college graduates from the USA don't get these jobs because they won't work for the low salaries foreigners do. And why does the company hire so many foreigners? Shareholder dividends. Keep 40% of the labor cost low to pay exceptional shareholder dividends each year.

Anyone that would claim the USA is going downhill and Thailand is not? Well, you just aren't being honest with yourself. Thailand is spiraling downward. How do you like the military govt? Did you get to vote him in? No you can't vote, own land or anything else. You are just a guest is all.

I work like most other Americans. I am not rich whatsoever. However, I live amongst my means. Sure I would love to live in an ocean front mansion, but I don't complain because it is not amongst my means to afford it. I don't state the USA is going downhill because I cannot afford a mansion.

Most people make their own lives, whether they are working at Walmart or a PhD. No different than any other country in the world.

No different than Thailand, except most of Thailand's rich are corrupt as hell.

The USA is still the world leader across the board. If you feel it is declining that bad, maybe you did not prepare yourself educationally over the years to be able to survive here? That being said, how do people working at Walmart own a car and survive?

You want to compare your views of the USA going downhill when never admitting or recognizing the plight of 90% of the Thai people that will never have anything, are up to their <deleted> in personal debt, have no investment in education, cannot tackle growing problems of pollution, overcrowding, flooding?

Why not share your story why you couldn't make it in your own country?

• Haha 1

Actually tourism basically built Thailand from the dust.  Starting with the Vietnam War and the sudden need for shopping, hotels, and women.  Then the entire coastline being developed from straw huts to entire cities.  Khao San Road went from an empty rice market to a thriving tourist spot.  It happened very quickly and Thailand's economy skyrocketed.  They started to print holiday brochures, communicate with western travel agents and build their own airlines.  Then we have the mass corruption from immigration that rakes in money for them.

All those huge towers in Sathorn have a lot of Chinese and Indian businesses in them as well.  I think you could probably cut the economy in half if they lost expats.

Edited by johnray
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You point of view is delusional at best.

Maybe that is why you convince yourself Thailand is the place to be?

Sorry I don't know anyone unfulfilled?

You are mentioning it is a struggle for people NOT in the top 20% yet you never mention what a struggle it is for the 90% in Thailand?

Hollywood makes movies to make money the same as Thailand. You can't tell me those Thailand Soap Operas aren't the most foolish thing on TV?

You don't have to watch movies or TV if you have a real life!

40% of our entire company is foreigners (Fortune 50 company earning $90 Billion/year). We have a design center in India with a few thousand more. We have employees in 140 countries. You don't even have a clue what you are talking about. So here is a fact for you. Do you even realize the salaries paid for foreigners of high education levels (Masters and Phd) is 50% less that people from the USA? Trade off for being offered a Green Card. That means many college graduates from the USA don't get these jobs because they won't work for the low salaries foreigners do. And why does the company hire so many foreigners? Shareholder dividends. Keep 40% of the labor cost low to pay exceptional shareholder dividends each year.

Anyone that would claim the USA is going downhill and Thailand is not? Well, you just aren't being honest with yourself. Thailand is spiraling downward. How do you like the military govt? Did you get to vote him in? No you can't vote, own land or anything else. You are just a guest is all.

I work like most other Americans. I am not rich whatsoever. However, I live amongst my means. Sure I would love to live in an ocean front mansion, but I don't complain because it is not amongst my means to afford it. I don't state the USA is going downhill because I cannot afford a mansion.

Most people make their own lives, whether they are working at Walmart or a PhD. No different than any other country in the world.

No different than Thailand, except most of Thailand's rich are corrupt as hell.

The USA is still the world leader across the board. If you feel it is declining that bad, maybe you did not prepare yourself educationally over the years to be able to survive here? That being said, how do people working at Walmart own a car and survive?

You want to compare your views of the USA going downhill when never admitting or recognizing the plight of 90% of the Thai people that will never have anything, are up to their <deleted> in personal debt, have no investment in education, cannot tackle growing problems of pollution, overcrowding, flooding?

Why not share your story why you couldn't make it in your own country?

Just a tad defensive are we? Most I talk to who live in the US, just don't see it. It's alright. Whatever makes you sleep tight. 

On 2/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, Yinn said:

Be like Cambodia, or Burma, or Laos. Third world. Poor.

or maybe like Africa.

or maybe be like Native American or Australian Aborigine. 

Thankyou Rama 5! Thankyou so much!

Or clean prosperous and organised like Hong Kong ????  You conveniently forgot that example.

Ignore this one as you always do when you are exposed.

Oh and by the way Thailand is still third world you aren't fooling anyone but yourself. 

Your mentality is the reason Thailand is not developed. Even thought you are not Thai you are a good example.

P.S do you know how cringe worthy it is to read your posts knowing you are a white man in his 50's having an identity crisis? You should get a hobby or a women.. oh wait nobody wants to stay with someone so twisted.

Edited by misterjames
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Just a tad defensive are we? Most I talk to who live in the US, just don't see it. It's alright. Whatever makes you sleep tight. 

He ripped your claims apart and that response was very weak. And you are basing claims on opinions of other people just whining.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, johnray said:

Actually tourism basically built Thailand from the dust.  Starting with the Vietnam War and the sudden need for shopping, hotels, and women.  Then the entire coastline being developed from straw huts to entire cities.  Khao San Road went from an empty rice market to a thriving tourist spot.  It happened very quickly and Thailand's economy skyrocketed.  They started to print holiday brochures, communicate with western travel agents and build their own airlines.  Then we have the mass corruption from immigration that rakes in money for them.

All those huge towers in Sathorn have a lot of Chinese and Indian businesses in them as well.  I think you could probably cut the economy in half if they lost expats.

Seriously?

Mass tourism did NOT start with the Vietnam war, and Thailand became rich on rice.

Till recently tourism accounted for about 6% of GDP.

• Confused 1