Beach Rd. Foodland Closing!

digbeth

Terrible location.

Basement no view or open feeling.  Grocery very limited.

Maybe totally block it off and make a gogo bar.

Otherwise, most people that walk past have no clue anything is down there.

Probably end up a ghost space.

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

Was really hoping they'd open a store on Thepprasit Road, Jomtien when they put that sign up on the vacant land. Foodmart has a money earning monopoly in that area. 

10 years sgo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

Was really hoping they'd open a store on Thepprasit Road, Jomtien when they put that sign up on the vacant land. Foodmart has a money earning monopoly in that area. 

Foodmart are even worse than Villa for their prices, well they were the last time I was in it, would

never go back.

• Thanks 1

Always got the impression it stocked what tourists might want. Obviously not selling the volumes they anticipated. Hope they do something useful with it. A slightly more upmarket bar might be a good call.

8 hours ago, kinyara said:

Who needs Foodland? When they opened ages ago there were not many supermarkets for expats. Now we have Friendship,Foodmart,and Tesco Lotus. Even Macro is 10 times better than Foodland. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Foodmart are even worse than Villa for their prices, well they were the last time I was in it, would

never go back.

I think their prices are very reasonable overall, especially for fruit and vegetables and meat. They have an amazingly good range of stuff, considering the small size of the store - and still give out free plastic bags. It’s crazy that they’re the only supermarket apart from 7-11’s and similar in Jomtien, considering the tens of thousands of condos there. Might be an indication of just how many are empty, and of course Jomtien is a lot more seasonal than Pattaya.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Who needs Foodland? When they opened ages ago there were not many supermarkets for expats. Now we have Friendship,Foodmart,and Tesco Lotus. Even Macro is 10 times better than Foodland. 

The empty Foodland plot on Theprasit is a great location and think a store would be a success as it would service all the local condos in that immediate area and lots of the traffic passing up and down the road as the original location on Klang does.

Shame about the Royal Garden location but it was too hidden tucked away in the basement.

The branch at T21 required some significant investment. Seems to be doing great, so guess they figured they didn't need the RG branch. Not profitable enough, if at all. The sorts of customers I saw in there, never many, were more 7/11 tourist types. The resto, TookLaeDee, offered some value to low budget tourists but was too hidden, nobody knew about it.

17 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

The empty Foodland plot on Theprasit is a great location and think a store would be a success as it would service all the local condos in that immediate area and lots of the traffic passing up and down the road as the original location on Klang does.

As an owner of a condo in that area, I agree.  But, they would need a decent sized parking lot to supplement the locals with those driving in from farther out.  

7 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

As an owner of a condo in that area, I agree.  But, they would need a decent sized parking lot to supplement the locals with those driving in from farther out.  

Looks like a big plot but from last looks condo developments are going up around it now so who know the fate of that sole sign saying Foodland still sitting there.

11 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

In your opinion, what's the current occupancy rate of condo's in that area?

5 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Looks like a big plot but from last looks condo developments are going up around it now so who know the fate of that sole sign saying Foodland still sitting there.

Luciano condo will be built besides that planned “foodland”  On Theprasit. Its suppose to be an chinese condo project but seems they waiting approval permits for years now or other delays?

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

In your opinion, what's the current occupancy rate of condo's in that area?

Hard to say.

I have a condo in View Talay 5, one of the more popular buildings in the area. I’d guess that even at the height of high season, it’s nowhere near half full, and has very few people in low season, when Jomtien’s pretty much deserted except for weekends. It’s that strong seasonality that would make it hard for a big supermarket to survive.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

never go back.

Difficult to import food and then sell it as reasonable prices. These stores are for wealthier people.

22 minutes ago, lust said:

Difficult to import food and then sell it as reasonable prices. These stores are for wealthier people.

If you can't afford to buy stuff at Foodmart or Friendship should you really stay here long term? No one fills a trolley,they buy some stuff they really want. 

3 hours ago, lust said:

Then why could Foodland sell tins of corn beef for 179Bt and Villa sell the same brand for 325 Bt? and don't forget imported goods should have fallen in price due to the very strong Thai Baht.

lets just be honest here, the main cause is nothing  but pure greed.

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you can't afford to buy stuff at Foodmart or Friendship should you really stay here long term? No one fills a trolley,they buy some stuff they really want. 

My post was about FoodLand/Villa. I don’t know what Foodmart or Friendship is. 

Edited by lust