Thai man, 21, latest victim of Covid-19

rooster59

1918: the great influenza pandemic: click

In the two years that this scourge ravaged the earth, a fifth of the world's population was infected. The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News).

The influenza pandemic circled the globe. Most of humanity felt the effects of this strain of the influenza virus. It spread following the path of its human carriers, along trade routes and shipping lines. Outbreaks swept through North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Brazil and the South Pacific (Taubenberger). In India the mortality rate was extremely high at around 50 deaths from influenza per 1,000 people (Brown). The Great War, with its mass movements of men in armies and aboard ships, probably aided in its rapid diffusion and attack.

Consider modern air travel equivalent to the context of WWI's mass movements ?

Given this is posted on a University site intended for free use, I believe the lengthy quote is justified.

~o:37;

18 minutes ago, Traubert said:

More likely Japanese or Korean as these are the current hot spots but dont let that curb your sinophobia.

Probably the Chinese because of the amount that have been here in buses and the amount of Thais involved in that work, it's that simple, you've just picked other asian Korean and Japanese for some spurious reason

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The way the simple, xenophobic, poorly educated minds work in this country, that, also may be misinterpreted!

I reflected on my own country. I am thinking there will be far too many, aided by a xenophobic administration reacting the same way.

• Like 1

FYI: regarding use of masks
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR1ltYMoUU-6XSHZf_JeJvJKZRCqIO8w03b5w_B-6rTioSlXBPMgF-_pTiA

Health officials around the world have been imploring the public to stop buying masks if they are healthy or not caring for someone who is ill. Medical professionals need a large supply of the masks because they are in direct contact with infected patients and must change their masks repeatedly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Consider modern air travel equivalent to the context of WWI's mass movements ?

And the great increase in mobility (cars) and increase in population density. SARS-CoV-2 will likely infect a higher percentage than Spanish Flu did. While in theory we are now better prepared due to better healthcare, that healthcare will be swamped and supply chains for medicine and equipment disrupted. The mortality from unrelated diseases and accidents will spike too because of this. A vaccine/cure is the only short time hope, otherwise it'll be a rough couple of years.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And the great increase in mobility (cars) and increase in population density. SARS-CoV-2 will likely infect a higher percentage than Spanish Flu did. While in theory we are now better prepared due to better healthcare, that healthcare will be swamped and supply chains for medicine and equipment disrupted. The mortality from unrelated diseases and accidents will spike too because of this. A vaccine/cure is the only short time hope, otherwise it'll be a rough couple of years.

Yes the speed at which this virus can spread (south Korea, italy, Iran) and the rapidly escalating numbers of people requiring  hospitalisation can soon impact on the death rate. UK has about 6,000 intensive care beds - if 10% of infected people require them (a guess, but i think not to far off the mark) then when you have 60,000 active cases in the UK, every bed would be needed by a cv-19 patient. Obviously many people will not get the care they need long before that, because other patients need them also. Probably behind the high death rate in Wuhan.

That is why the rate of spread needs to be controlled

8 hours ago, thequietman said:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

In case you have not noticed the temperatures in Thailand are often 3-4° higher that that and yet infection is still occurring.

7 hours ago, Mung said:

I started to get sick on Tuesday last week, peaking 2 days ago. The symptoms you describe ring a lot of bells. It started with a sore throat and then a dry cough. I noticed my breathing was very shallow and I'd be out of breath walking up the stairs. Then came a fever, fever dreams, headaches when standing, back ache as well as ears / nose being blocked. I had a constant stream of nasal muscus running down onto my chest, which was way worse when laying down for some reason. 

Today however I'm almost recovered, but it was quite a nasty experience. I returned to my home country from Thailand in early February, so not sure if I did I indeed pick it up, or if it was something else. I rarely get colds and I've never had the flu before, so who knows

I am sure we are all glad you did the right thing and immediately got checked at a reputable hospital and then informed the authorities of all the people you had been in contact with.......... That is what you did right ???

9 hours ago, thequietman said:

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

Well this is wrong.  Normal human body temperature is 370C and goes above 400C when you get a flu or coronavirus but the virus does not die.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

That is why the girlie panic needs to be controlled.

If you're under 50 and reasonably fit, it's just a few days at home feeling rough and watching old movies on TV.  All the 'only childs' in China rushed to hospital, swamping the resources.

The fatalities being reported hourly are being lapped up by keyboard epidemiologists totally out of context - it really is no worse than a flu epidemic that we have every few years.

I thought the Thaivisa regulars were all ex SAS warriors and cage fighters, not a bunch sissies scared of a bad cold.

Why do I read in European news that the man who died in Thailand of Corona was a healthy, sporty 35 year old salesman. According to you he should have easily sailed over it, feeling a little rough and watching old movies on TV...

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Why do I read in European news that the man who died in Thailand of Corona was a healthy, sporty 35 year old salesman. According to you he should have easily sailed over it, feeling a little rough and watching old movies on TV...

He had dengue fever too. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

Well this is wrong.  Normal human body temperature is 370C and goes above 400C when you get a flu or coronavirus but the virus does not die.

Are you sure you can compare a virus ability to survival on a external 'hot surface' with when its in your body fighting your immune system ?

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So where are the reports of the foreign tourists being isolated and where did they come from?

They were likely Chinese but the thai's won't release that because they aren't farang 

23 minutes ago, rabas said:

UV light. Thats why you can render water potable by leaving it out in the sun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

No Corona 19 for you my friend. A bad case of flu. Get well soon. ????

thanks. Just to clarify though, I meant that the mucus travelled from my nose downtime back of my throat and onto my cheat area. Even now my chest isn't clear and a tad raspy.     

13 minutes ago, Mung said:

thanks. Just to clarify though, I meant that the mucus travelled from my nose downtime back of my throat and onto my cheat area. Even now my chest isn't clear and a tad raspy.     

Runny nose, no matter its route, is NOT a symptom of Corona 19. Lots of hot drinks, keep warm and ride it out. This is flu season right now.

58 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Are you sure you can compare a virus ability to survival on a external 'hot surface' with when its in your body fighting your immune system ?

That was my point, the post said nothing about conditions, mode of transmission, surfaces, or even humidity. "270 with kill it". 

If you want a real measure, look at the SARS epidemic's spread through Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan. The height of the epidemic was in the April May time frame when temperatures reach the upper 20s.

16 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Runny nose, no matter its route, is NOT a symptom of Corona 19. Lots of hot drinks, keep warm and ride it out. This is flu season right now.

It is for less than 5% of the cases if you trust the lancet but since it is repeated non-stop on TV that it is not then I will trust TV. 

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I thought the Thaivisa regulars were all ex SAS warriors and cage fighters, not a bunch sissies scared of a bad cold.

image.jpeg.e82da6f441fbdda3bf59f5b93a7906c8.jpeg      I ain't worried ......... 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, legend49 said:

“The latest infected patient is a Thai man aged 21, who has been exposed to foreign tourists,” said Dr Sukhum Kanjanapimai

Exposed to what tourists and where? Never any real data in these statements.

yes...you would want to know if it was the ladyboy who hugged you 3 nights ago and nibbled your earlobe.