Member of public calls immigration: Japanese pensioner whose Thai wife died found hiding on overstay

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

good Samaritan"

Has it really got this bad? Maybe paint a star on the house too. I am all for catching illegals but there must be a better way than targeting an old widower. The reports of thousands of Thai prostitutes being deported from Korea doesn’t seem to faze Thai. 

Funny how the illegal Burmese next door aren’t paid a visit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

Has it really got this bad? Maybe paint a star on the house too. I am all for catching illegals but there must be a better way than targeting an old widower. The reports of thousands of Thai prostitutes being deported from Korea doesn’t seem to faze Thai. 

Funny how the illegal Burmese next door aren’t paid a visit. 

Guest workers aren't illegal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

Imagine how productive this country would be if they just left the ex pats who only want to be good honest citizens alone.

we come here to live quietly whilst spending large sums of money supporting wives ,children and in many cases members of her family, buying or building homes starting businesses all of which support the economy of Thailand yet never being able to OWN the property, and all we get back is constant fear that we may do something that will cause all of our endeavour to be confiscated in an instant.

Sadly fairness and common sense is entirely lacking in this country.

The good honest expats come here because we love the country, culture, food, people and much more, and all we really ask for is to be deemed a citizen but instead we all get tarred with the same brush, that of being a criminal.

Thank you to the powers that be for that, one day when it is all too late you just may realise how stupid you are.

So you would be ok for say 20 million Chinese expats to do the same thing? Wouldn't bother me.

Or are you saying there should be special rules for whitey?

Trust me if foreigners were able to buy land the likes of you and me and every Thai wouldn't be able to afford it. The Chinese would buy the lot and prices would go into the stratosphere. I'd love to be able to buy some dirt but I think this is one thing Thailand has got right.

Edited by emptypockets

"Funny how the illegal Burmese next door aren’t paid a visit." 

12 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Guest workers aren't illegal.

And all Burmese are not guest workers...

Edited by allenberg
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, P100 said:

I do see the law violation. But just imagine the consequences for this old man. He was living in Thailand for so long, probably giving up everything in Japan when married to the Thai wife. Now they send him back to a place where he has nothing. And blacklist him for the rest of his life. He was good for Thailand while married to a Thai, paid a lot to support Thais and now, that his wife died, he is unwanted. Leaves a bad taste somehow and does not improve the reputation of Thailand.

How do you know what he gave up? Those details are not available. He could be rich and have family.

He is an illegal alien on overstay in Thailand and his actions reflect badly on all foreigners who live here legally.

I have sympathy for him but he had options.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

'The now infamous BMW "Smart Car"'

<deleted>- get over it. It's only 'infamous' in the eyes of Thaigeezers, In the big scheme of things it means nothing. People really need to move on from this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

How do you know what he gave up? Those details are not available. He could be rich and have family.

He is an illegal alien on overstay in Thailand and his actions reflect badly on all foreigners who live here legally.

I have sympathy for him but he had options.

What were his options ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So... the bottom line is immigration officers should NOT arrest overstayers and illegal immigrants? Is this 'law' ONLY for Thailand?

Can any foreigner 'mind his/her own business in his own house in FArangland? No visas required?

REALLY, what attitudes? WHAT mentalities? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MeHere said:

This is so sad to read... Poor old guy!

...poor old guy?--more likely poor smart guy. The weather in Japan is lousy at best and Thailand shine much better but Elite visa cost too much for some.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It would be good if apprentice Thai journalists use the right expressions because to write "good Samaritan" when it is about delation .. Not exactly the same thing :post-4641-1156693976:
"the neighbor figure in the parable is the man who shows mercy to the injured man — that is, the Samaritan."

It would be good if some Thaivisa members understood the nuances of the English language before having a Thaibash; "good Samaritan" written in inverted commas (as it was in the OP) is suggesting that the neighbour was not a good Samaritan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, honoluludave said:

Their silly little smart car had nothing to do with catching this old guy who never left his house. He was turned in by an informant. Plain and simple

Exactly what the OP said happened.  Plain and simple

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Janner1 said:

Imagine how productive this country would be if they just left the ex pats who only want to be good honest citizens alone.

If you want citizen rights, be a citizen.

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/welcome/

we come here to live quietly whilst spending large sums of money supporting wives ,children and in many cases members of her family, buying or building homes starting businesses all of which support the economy of Thailand yet never being able to OWN the property,

Citzens can own property 

and all we get back is constant fear that we may do something that will cause all of our endeavour to be confiscated in an instant.

Sadly fairness and common sense is entirely lacking in this country.

The good honest expats come here because we love the country, culture, food, people and much more, and all we really ask for is to be deemed a citizen but instead we all get tarred with the same brush, that of being a criminal.

Thank you to the powers that be for that, one day when it is all too late you just may realise how stupid you are.

Hmmm

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Asernume said:

You can live legally in this country for 20+ years with your wife and you will get kicked out right after she dies. Nasty.

No, it was eight years after she died and eight years after he decided not to bother renew his visa for that time.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

If you want citizen rights, be a citizen.

You make it sound easy Yinn.

Married to a Thai woman and retired to live in Thailand with her (i.e. - not working here) it is impossible to gain citizenship.

I think that would apply to very many thaivisa forum readers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fraggleRock said:
7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks like a nicely kept house/home.  Wonder if the deceased wife's family members decided they wanted it for themselves???

Bingo / JackPot you hit the nail fair and square...

Did he?  Really?  How do you know?  Why would they wait for over eight years to do that?  Pretty sure that he missed the nail by a country mile.

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You make it sound easy Yinn.

Married to a Thai woman and retired to live in Thailand with her (i.e. - not working here) it is impossible to gain citizenship.

I think that would apply to very many thaivisa forum readers.

Read the link.

Not impossible 

Good luck Chikenlegs!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1