U.S. opposes releasing a dying Bernard Madoff from prison early

webfact

I tend to agree with the above.  While I think there is, and should be, room for compassion in post-incarnation early release, I think the overriding issue to be addressed is compliance and adherence to the penalties imposed by the court at the time of sentencing and the impact that has in the criminals victims - be that individually or collectively.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Does everyone who is dying in a US prison,get released ..... ?

if the answer is no,then what makes him special.

regards worgeordie 

Yes, just recently another high profile white collar criminal was released and died shortly after. Not to say Madoff deserves the same.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kamahele said:

Yes, just recently another high profile white collar criminal was released and died shortly after. Not to say Madoff deserves the same.

I was thinking poor people ....

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

In jail, the American people have to look after him. If he is released, he has to look after himself. A winner, yes?

Whilst I empathise with those who were defrauded, (I suspect greed paid a part) Madoff should be released in my view, to stop being a burden on the people of the United States. 

If he lives past the 18 months at the home of his 'freind', those remaining victims can keep an eye on him.

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

Many more prominent financiers should be behind bars but the great majority escaped any real punishment for their actions, more's the pity.

And Donald is not helping by pardoning white collar criminals.

https://www.axios.com/trump-blagojevich-commute-dea0607a-d305-4ca4-896b-3f0182f0efd7.html

President Trump announced Tuesday that he would commute former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for extortion, bribery and corruption — as well as issue full pardons for former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo Jr., former NYPD Commissioner Bernie Kerik and financier Michael Milken.

The big picture: The president's clemency spree largely benefited white-collar criminals convicted of crimes like corruption, gambling fraud and racketeering, undercutting his message of "draining the swamp."

• Thanks 1

I'm always intrigued why a white collar crime guy seems to think he, or she deserves different treatment.

If this was this some dying black dude convicted on a drug charge do you honestly think early release would even be on the table?

• Like 1

Madoff's wife lives in a nice condo in Greenwich, Connecticut and was allowed to keep $2,5000,000.  Far less than the luxury she was accustomed to, but still a very comfortable life.

Bernie wants to go there to live out his last days.

I think he should remain in prison for the entirety of his 150-yr sentence.  After that, whatever's left of him should be flushed down the toilet where they will flow to New Jersey!

• Like 1