Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

webfact

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Who writes this stuff? Do they do no research at all?

"This stuff" is correct (if you're not married to a Thai), and these requirements are not new. 

What is new is that these requirements are harder to fulfill now due to the strong baht. 

1 minute ago, micmichd said:

"This stuff" is correct (if you're not married to a Thai), and these requirements are not new. 

What is new is that these requirements are harder to fulfill now due to the strong baht. 

Everything from Webfact is old news and everybody staying in Thailand should know about the requirements. If you can't handle the strong baht then maybe you should think twice about living here. Exchange rates will always go up or down and you have to factor that in. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The only people in a lurch are the people who were cheating on the monthly amount  and borrowing the deposit in the bank. Good ridance to free loaders.

No. 

They are not the only people that have been impacted by the changes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Exchange rates will always go up or down and you have to factor that in. 

The Pound being actually at 40, The Euro 35, The Dollar 31.

Would it be wise to consider that those currencies could reach 25 / 20.

That the 800000  and 65000 ThB now needed, will reach 2000000 and 150000,

or should we be more optimist,

or even more pessimist?

19 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Just got a 4.1% COLA (Cost Of Living Adjustment), that's about 10000 THB monthly, so this thread is totally pointless.

And, looking at the shape of the Farangs in the OP's pic, I'd reckon that these guys are better off than me.

4.1% cola? I was fairly to ticked at my cola this year of 1.6% USA. All I know is ever 1 baht change equates to over a 200.00$ USD + difference in my purchasing power. I'm just peeved I double the retirement prerequisite of the monthly 65,000 and I have 100% covered medical that will never cost me a penny (retired ,disabled veteran 100% rated). So even making over 130,000 thb and 100% covered medical with zero cost to me I can't even get a retirement visa because I'm only 44 years old.  I have to wait 6 years to qualify. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to assign my wife as power of attorney over my finances (she has no income) so she being 47 will reach 50 faster and I can get the retirement visa through her faster. I am only doing this because we've been together 15 years and she's also an American. But it's mind bending to qualify for everything needed for a retirement visa except my age. Not everyone takes til they are 50 to retire. I'm being penalized because I'm to Young to retire? I completely decimate their regulations having doubled their monthly requirements and total medical coverage that costs me nothing . I spend (my government spends) over 8000.00$ USD a month on my medical here yet they won't overlook the one problem I have, I'm to Young to retire visa here? They don't even have a way to appeal such a minor issue as age so I can relax and stop all these dang border runs every month or two. I rent 3 houses long term just so I can lessen the transit from Chiang Mai to Vientiane to Phuket. Total I only pay 600.00usd for all three houses a month. One would suspect they would want to try and keep someone here who drops 20,000 thb a month in housing, over 175,000 thb in hospital bills a month and doesn't have any viruses? I'm about fed up with these border runs and really considering moving to Australia for peace of mind. To top it off I'm so sick of tattling little people constantly reporting people on overstays when they turn right around and b×××h about no tourist money. What a backwards thought process . Time to take my cash elsewhere . 

Edited by Dmaxx

19 hours ago, zydeco said:

Well, that was a shallow read on the situation. Another article where retired expats = British = Pattaya. Really dislike the fact that I used up my single Nikkei Asian Review free article for the month on this piece of superficial reading.

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

you're welcome

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Everything from Webfact is old news and everybody staying in Thailand should know about the requirements. If you can't handle the strong baht then maybe you should think twice about living here. Exchange rates will always go up or down and you have to factor that in. 

Not so easy. It was not a slow decline in the value of Western currencies but a sharp cut in 2015, shortly after the ECB set up an ABS purchase program. I know why they did this. So, my expectations for the EUR to recover against the THB are rather low. 

Sorry for those who are not experts in global finances. 

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

My personal concern about keeping the 800,000 in the bank, is not that I cannot access it,or afford to lock that amount up, but if Thailand decides to change the laws during a time of unrest, and  acquire the funds of farang and order us from the country, then we are royally screwed.

That is all some people have for security.

The repercussions on that would far outweigh short term gains. Imagine if seriously peed off foreign countries decided to freeze the overseas accounts of rich Thais in retaliation and in order to reimburse their robbed nationals. I think I know which would be the larger sum!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The repercussions on that would far outweigh short term gains. Imagine if seriously peed off foreign countries decided to freeze the overseas accounts of rich Thais in retaliation and in order to reimburse their robbed nationals. I think I know which would be the larger sum!

I was in a middle eastern country in the late 1970s where exactly that happened, bank accounts frozen, expelled, no recourse, no repercusiions, no compensation, and fear for personal safety until out their airspace

17 minutes ago, Dmaxx said:

4.1% cola? I was fairly to ticked at my cola this year of 1.6% USA. All I know is ever 1 baht change equates to over a 200.00$ USD + difference in my purchasing power. I'm just peeved I double the retirement prerequisite of the monthly 65,000 and I have 100% covered medical that will never cost me a penny (retired ,disabled veteran 100% rated). So even making over 130,000 thb and 100% covered medical with zero cost to me I can't even get a retirement visa because I'm only 44 years old.  I have to wait 6 years to qualify. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to assign my wife as power of attorney over my finances (she has no income) so she being 47 will reach 50 faster and I can get the retirement visa through her faster. I am only doing this because we've been together 15 years and she's also an American. But it's mind bending to qualify for everything needed for a retirement visa except my age. Not everyone takes til they are 50 to retire. I'm being penalized because I'm to Young to retire? I completely decimate their regulations having doubled their monthly requirements and total medical coverage that costs me nothing . I spend (my government spends) over 8000.00$ USD a month on my medical here yet they won't overlook the one problem I have, I'm to Young to retire visa here? They don't even have a way to appeal such a minor issue as age so I can relax and stop all these dang border runs every month or two. I rent 3 houses long term just so I can lessen the transit from Chiang Mai to Vientiane to Phuket. Total I only pay 600.00usd for all three houses a month. One would suspect they would want to try and keep someone here who drops 20,000 thb a month in housing, over 175,000 thb in hospital bills a month and doesn't have any viruses? I'm about fed up with these border runs and really considering moving to Australia for peace of mind. To top it off I'm so sick of tattling little people constantly reporting people on overstays when they turn right around and b×××h about no tourist money. What a backwards thought process . Time to take my cash elsewhere . 

What makes you think Australia would want you? You don't fit any criteria that I'm aware of. Simply being a disabled American is not a qualification. It used to be 45 years old was the cut off date for immigrants who did not have an Aussie sponsor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What makes you think Australia would want you? You don't fit any criteria that I'm aware of. Simply being a disabled American is not a qualification. It used to be 45 years old was the cut off date for immigrants who did not have an Aussie sponsor.

Very hard to get any type of entry to Australia with any disabilty

Australia is deporting people born there to non citizens, in process of PR applications or citizenship, (applications being denied) several young children and families under removal orders. There is one case of a child, both parents are doctors, employed all the good stuff, but child born with a disabilty, under removal order

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Not only british ; every people from " EU-27  " have lost more than 30% since about 10 years .

Even Norvegian people lost much and yet they don't have euro currency 

Around 2006 we got 6,5 baht to the NOK (norwegian krone) Nowadays we get 3.30 - go figure!

Even in 2014 we got + 5 baht to a NOK. Last half of 2014 the big drop started...

Regards a Norwegian...

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Those of us with enough assets will cut losses and bail out when we’ve had enough corruption and overpricing.  And those of us in small villages will leave behind dozens of family and neighbors.  Locals will miss the generous support and charity we have given.

The higher the Baht—the less time and money we will spend here—plain and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brer said:

Mate we have lost much more we used to get nearly 33 baht to the dollar. Your maths is <deleted> or you really don’t know where to change your dollars for the best rate.

That was during an all too brief “happy time”, when the $A was even better than parity with the $US, thanks to the mining boom. Usual $A/baht rate was about 25-27, before it collapsed last year.

• Like 2

I see a lot of Farangs complaining about the strength of the Bhatt, but in reality, its the weakness of the European currencies is causing the discontent
The politician's behaviour over BREXIT have had and continued to have, a significant disruptive effect on their economies hence poor currency performance
Hopefully, Boris will sort it out!

• Like 1