Recalcitrant workers ignore quarantine and create panic

rooster59

By THE NATION

800_e9cb5aa5f263d5e.jpg

Some Thai labourers who returned from South Korea this week are stirring panic among people by ignoring the need to be in quarantine, and travelling in public places.

South Korea is one of the high-risk countries for the new coronavirus (Covid-19).

This week, numerous Thai illegal laborers returned from South Korea to their hometowns with an order to be in quarantine for 14 days, for those who passed the airports’ screening point.

Some labourers are, however, not staying at home and some are even travelling around. This has created alarm among the people and the owners of the establishments they visit.

On Friday (March 6), The Mall Bangkae department store in Bangkok closed shops at risk of Covid-19 from March 6 to 8, for cleaning and sterilising, after being visited by a labourer who had just returned from South Korea.

Meanwhile, the owner of ‘Muay Hitech’ salon, Nilprapa Boonpim, announced on Friday she would close her business in Chaiyaphum province, after acknowledging that one of her customers had just come back from South Korea.

Another labourer apologised immediately after an alarm was raised in Chiang Mai by her posting on social media her photo in a pub – almost as soon as she had returned home.

In addition, a woman posted on Facebook on Tuesday (March 4), that she was very bored staying at home. This woman had previously visited retail stores and restaurants in Uthai Thani province, drawing netizens’ attention and comments.

The woman was then invited to test for Covid-19 infection at Nong Chang Hospital in the province. Preliminary results said that she was not infected.

There has also been a case of a labourer visiting Phi Phi Islands in Phuket province. The woman clarified on her social media that she had already been tested and found to be free from Covid-19 infection.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383573

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-08

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

On Friday (March 6), The Mall Bangkae department store in Bangkok closed shops at risk of Covid-19 from March 6 to 8, for cleaning and sterilising, after being visited by a labourer who had just returned from South Korea.

The mind boggles. In the meantime they happily keep killing each other on the road, or even by firearm, because that looks so much cooler.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe some  farangs will finally get it. Many of these returnees are entertainment trade workers. Their attitude is  an illustration of why HIV continues in Thailand. There is an attitude of me, myself and I. I hope those who are intimate with entertainment industry workers  learn something from this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, meechai said:

The workers are told to self quarantine the tourists are told sawasdee krup

Come now.....A little consistency would show the authorities have at least half a brain &

don't have one rule for income producing tourists & another for locals returning home

Bingo. Spot on. Indeed.

I would be a "thai labourer" coming back from South Korea, i'd do the same, and as bonus I would give the finger to whatever "authorities".

This "double speak / double standard" is just unbearable.

The problem is only... face as usual and prejudices. Some of those "thai labourers" are prostitutes, hence the double standard.

So until the pseudo "authorities" can figure out that 1+1 = 2.... the mess is likely to continue.

Close the borders, massive testing, and same treatment for everyone !

Everything else is plain BS.

Edited by christophe75
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

So asking Thais who return from work or holiday to self quarantine at home isn't working out so well...

who'd have thought ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did anybody except the Government really believe that these people from S

.Korea would self isolate / go into quarantine. upon arrival back in Thailand.

I am lost for words at the sheer stupidity of this whole situation, where a lax and non existent regime that is put in place to stop this exact thing happening was breeched with such ease by so many

• Like 2

so... just do the avwerage business (shop) etc owners, and the rest of the general local public

- know just 'who' these individuals are?  its as if their images are Posted up on BillBoards somewhere? 

Image result for police lineup thailand 

is it some sort of 'CrimeStoppers' website? with all their Passport IDs?

48 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

So until the pseudo "authorities" can figure out that 1+1 = 2....

Not on planet Thai !!!
1 + 1 can NEVER be 2. They need to press at least 3 keys on their calculator so it NEVER can be 2 !

Edited by Tops
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

"Unclean! Unclean!" Why not just make them all wear bells around their neck and have done with it?

Jeez.

Why not the Scarlet Letter, or maybe a neon sign overhead....

3 hours ago, justin case said:

and that is just a few people, wait for the thousands ....

as always, TIT : me me me

Didn't you predict same 6 weeks ago? Been 100's of thousands entering Thailand since virus announced in January. How many do you know who are infected? BTW, next month an asteroid will be coming close to earth! Remember the dinosaur ????, things could be worse. ☮️ Peace

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

So now they are calling them labourer's well i suppose a vigorous happy ending massage could be classed as labour.

Labourers in the vineyard of the Lord.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meechai said:

In many ways it it a stupid policy anyway

One the one hand these workers have passed thru arrival immigration so had the same checks

that thousands of tourists arriving from the same & other high risk countries.

The workers are told to self quarantine the tourists are told sawasdee krup

Come now.....A little consistency would show the authorities have at least half a brain &

don't have one rule for income producing tourists & another for locals returning home

The temperature screening they do at the airport is close to useless. And it's detected just some dozens of total suspect cases ever since they started, a tiny portion compared to people who have sought treatment on their own.

The fact of the matter is, IMHO, ANYONE coming into Thailand from any of the current high-risk areas SHOULD have a two-week quarantine, returning Thai or other nationality. It's very unfortunate that too many of these illegal Thai foreign workers have likewise no respect for the laws/rules here in their own country, including for protecting the health of their fellow citizens.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

The sensible thing to do would be not to let them leave Sth Korea...but if they did quarantine them in a secure facility under guard by military for 30 days.   This 14 day malarcky is way to short. 

Why is it too short? The rule of thumb appears to be, by all knowledgeable advice, that onset of symptoms takes place in 3-8 days.

• Like 1