Foreign tourist arrivals in Thailand could be 10 million below estimates

webfact

30 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

two weeks ago i told everybody they needed to decide where they want to be to ride out the pandemic. Thailand or return/stay home. 

we are now approaching the time when returning to your home countries may not be possible.

good luck.

I bought the ticket 2 months ago.  Not a big deal.  Just have to wait for a while for a refund.  Life goes on.

• Like 2

Well sounds like they got this one solved, all fixed by end of March only 3 weeks to go, tourism slow in April and back to normal by July how good are they, then maybe they can get there heads out of there <deleted> and wake up to reality of how bad it is going to get

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

Given the TAT always puts a positive spin on things, I'd expect the drop to be much larger than 10 million.

It was gonna be over 10 million before the virus issue but TAT would have claimed up by 96%

17 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Personally, as a Thailand resident, there is no way I am leaving the country before this whole virus story is over...

I share your sentiments as well and for that very reason I cancelled my plan to visit California last month. Hence, I am going nowhere until I get the all clear.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many of those "tourists" who arrive in Thailand left Thailand a day or an hour ago and are actually on a visa run?

I guess Thailand will love those visa run people in the moment. It makes the tourist arrival numbers look so much better.

Well it really works, we were in malaysia last year while thailand was very quiet. The malaysian hotelowner asked us about the millions of tourists in Thailand because they had seen those exaggerated numbers and envied them.

“As for revenue from foreign tourists, we estimate Bt1.5 billion this year, or about three-quarters of last year’s total revenue,” he added.

Shouldn't that be Bt1.5 trillion? According to the World Tourism Organization, in 2018 Thailand earned USD63 billion from international tourism = Bt1.95 trilllion (USD1 = Bt31). So three-quarters of that is about Bt1.5 trillion

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Exactly, if you had done a visa run to HK yesterday and gone to the airport this morning in HK you are stuck there, wonderful!

So flights are flying BKK to HK

but not back?

• Like 1

Sorry but Worldwide the Corona Virus is only just getting started!!

What with Italy now in full shut down and the Virus spreading uncontrolled in most EU countries the outlook can only get worse.

As to coming to Thailand for a hoilday....no chance!   The isue is many think Thailand are lying through there teeth, plus we may end up in quarantine on arrival in Thailand, then quarantine when going back to there country!

No one in there right mind is going to get on a plane for say 13 hours with recirculating air just for a holiday!!

I want to go to Thailand soon, its boring here in the UK! Supermarkets selling out of certain goods, football matches no crowds, shows cancelled etc, even my GP Surgery is closed for "cleaning" and I was turned away. A&E at the hospital queing up out the doors!

I expect it to get much worse before it gets better!  Sorry but thats how it is!

As an ad lib: I am sure many know that Viruses mutate very easily and lets be honest thats what Country leaders are scared about....what if the Corona Visrus mutates into something worse?

Edited by Paul DS
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

I have some

I have some sympathy with this opinion. I have lived here for 30 years and in 1990, tourist numbers were I think about 7.6mn (vs 39mn in 2019). The country's infrastructure simply cannot cope with such numbers. Look at the crumbling roads, sewage water, litter, the ruin of resorts such as Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc.

In the early 90s Samui and Phuket were delightful places to visit. since this century they are horrid.

Pattaya was always a <deleted> but one didn't go there for the beach. At least the hotels weren't a rip off.

• Like 2