Immigration officer on duty at Suvarnabhumi airport contracts Covid-19, reports Thai media

webfact

6 hours ago, Traubert said:

What do your family think of this drinking binge you've been on since January? Do you mean your wife runs your business because by your own admission you are always drunk?

Oh, but see. I almost thought you would comment that too. Now you can get together with two more poster that believed that. The rest of the posters understood it was meant to be a joke.

Really? I thought you would be better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

10 March 2020

Tracy Daszkiewicz, Director of Public Health for Wiltshire Council, said: "I can confirm that a fourth adult in Wiltshire has tested positive for coronavirus after returning from a trip to Thailand, and they have self-isolated. This means we still only have four cases of coronavirus in Wiltshire. 

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/articles/fourth-confirmed-covid-19-case-in-wiltshire

5 March 2020

Two new cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Queensland.

The first case is an 81-year-old male who is in a stable condition in the Sunshine Coast University Hospital. He has recently returned from Thailand.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/doh-media-releases/releases/queensland-coronavirus-update15

Remind me again - how many cases here ...

Many cases, many nut cases running the show

13 hours ago, 0815 said:

Are you living in Thailand ? If Yes > WHY?

Yes I am, because I wake up with the sweetest little thing every morning of my life. And was down in phuket last week for a quick solo vacation that had a round trip flight of cost of $60.42, and I could go on....

Life is grand.......and then you die.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigFun said:

Oh, those lovely, helpful friendly guys got affected too...my heart bleeds...Not

Another example of hate being spewed here. How bout the guys wife and kids too? Naa, they are Thais......

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

What do your family think of this drinking binge you've been on since January? Do you mean your wife runs your business because by your own admission you are always drunk?

Wow, when they start trying to shame people for not being good fathers or husbands you know rock bottom in the evolution of scoundrals has been reached.

Living in Thailand I am happy to say I easily avoid this sort!

10 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

PFFFT!  Of course I didn't mention N95 masks because as I seem I need to repeat, my post was not about them, but about the paper doo-dahs so beloved by Thais who seem to see them as an essential item of clothing, and I don't mean just recently due to the coronavirus, I mean in the 16 years I have been here. 

At the first sign of a sniffle, they put a mask on.  That's OK if they are being public spirited enough to try not to infect others, that's fine but they seem to think it will protect THEM from others, and it just won't.

As to the ridiculous allegation of 'nonsense', there's a reason why medical staff wear masks (and not N95 masks either) in operating theatres - and that is to stop any bacteria of the doctors and nurses entering open body cavities and perhap infecting the patient.  It isn't to stop the patient infecting the medical staff.  

But what convinces me I am right and you aren't is that a month ago my niece arrived in Thailand just as the virus scare was kicking off.  She's only 9 years younger than me due to a complicated family relationship and she has  40 year career as a nurse, and she's now a nurse practitioner in cardiology so she can prescribe as well.

She mocked all the Thais wearing these masks for the exact reasons I mentioned because they are useless to stop people becoming infected as any fule kno.  (British expression)

So, if you don't mind, I would rather rely on my own reasonably good knowledge of medicine over my lifetime, including running a medical charity, and that of my niece with a lifetime of experience in medicine than some random bloke on an internet forum.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people who seem to have nothing but contempt for everything Thai are doing here posting?

How can one live in Thailand if they view Thai people with contempt, only to be mocked or ridiculed?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

And how many were hit by asteroids?

you suggestion that there are far more likely ways of dying than from covid, is valid. Road deaths a current example. But to suggest that there is more chance of being hit by an asteroid than dying from covid is nonsensical

Hey bud  you are confusing people in your replies. I never mentioned asteroids, careful about your quotes, if you are taking someone elses reply with quoted material. 

Thailand is far down the list on cases. I have no worries. What is the problem?

15 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

If you think 1 degree difference in heat stops the virus, then you are deluded. And I know about weather by personal experience. Some parts of Thailand are cooler than Bangkok. And cooler than Singapore where heat radiates up from the concrete jungle.

all in all, if you visit Singapore I suggest you leave your long johns and overcoat behind, because it is actually HOT.

I have been there multiple times.

4 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Hey bud  you are confusing people in your replies. I never mentioned asteroids, careful about your quotes, if you are taking someone elses reply with quoted material. 

Which would indicate that you have no worries of catching COVID-19 right? Why is that, because your young and healthy or the odds of catching it just don't worry you?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I think you are living on cloud Cuckoo.. Thailand is low on the list because its not in the interests of Tourism for the government to say otherwise. The virus is running rampant under the radar. Just because the government tells you there are only a few cases doesn't mean its true. Logic dictates that with level of foreign travel to Thailand plus the social interaction of people and families the virus is well established and at a very high level of infection. Don't believe what the government tells you.

• Haha 1

How many people die from the flu each year and how is it prevented?

The CDC estimates that as many as 56,000 people die from the flu or flu-like illness each year. Probably higher.

But don"t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, sevenhills said:

How many people die from the flu each year and how is it prevented?

The CDC estimates that as many as 56,000 people die from the flu or flu-like illness each year. Probably higher.

But don"t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The flu killed 35,000 in the US last year after infecting 35 million.

#CoronaVirus 3,500 people after infecting only 100,000.

35,000 will be dead when #COVID19 infects 1 million.

And by the time it infects 35 million it will have killed 1 million.

But don't let truth get in the way of a good story

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Edited by Bkk Brian
link added

I wonder if customs officers handling courier overnight and same day delivery have training and protection from what they are handling?  If it's from handling a passport from an infected person, there is a lot more hands on action to package an object or delivery and little time for it to expire on the surface.. Stay positive, I'm sure postal related workers are well trained and protected! 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:18 AM, BKKBike09 said:

10 March 2020

Tracy Daszkiewicz, Director of Public Health for Wiltshire Council, said: "I can confirm that a fourth adult in Wiltshire has tested positive for coronavirus after returning from a trip to Thailand, and they have self-isolated. This means we still only have four cases of coronavirus in Wiltshire. 

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/articles/fourth-confirmed-covid-19-case-in-wiltshire

5 March 2020

Two new cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Queensland.

The first case is an 81-year-old male who is in a stable condition in the Sunshine Coast University Hospital. He has recently returned from Thailand.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/doh-media-releases/releases/queensland-coronavirus-update15

Remind me again - how many cases here ...

Way more than they are reporting 

32 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Just saw an Aussie politician on TV saying that he doesn't believe the numbers coming out of Bali and some other countries. Wants bans put on travel where suspected of misreporting cases.

But 30,000  Chinese students who have been avoiding the ban and quarantining in such countries have been allowed back in? 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 1:14 PM, WalkingOrders said:

Sounds like Thailand is the safe place to be. 

That's how I see it too.

Yesterday I was at a clinic to get a doctor's certificate for driver's licence renewal. The only time COVID-19 was mentioned was when the doctor asked how things were going in my home country (Denmark); my answer was: "Not good - I'm happy that I live in Thailand".

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, Russell17au said:

Then take your own responsibility for your own health and safety and carry a small spray bottle of alcohol or hand gel and clean your own hands immediately after you put your fingers on those readers. Problem solved.

Thank you for your lecture - I never touched this fingerprint readers when they got introduced last year. I rather use refreshment towels, individually packed and sold in hundreds at i.e. Makro. 

It might come as a surprise to you but those towels are usually dark grey if not black just by swiping across the glass plate over the reader. Swiping is definitely more efficient than spraying alcohol all over the place ???? 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're obviously not paying attention. The gold standard guidance for medical personnel treating CV patients around the world is to wear N95 masks, not drugstore masks, along with faceshields or goggles, gloves and gowns.

We're not talking about regular, no epidemic time operating rooms here. We're talking about best practices in the midst of a CV epidemic.

Jesus wept, it's you who isn't paying attention.  I deliberately didn't mention N95 masks because I was referring to the useless paper masks which Thais put on as soon as they sneeze.  

I have already said this three times now so I suggest you pop to Top Charoen for new glasses and Bumrungrad for a critical thinking skills injection.  

You are the one who has brought this thing up, no-one else, and I really suggest you stop, now because apart from dying of boredom reading this cr@p of yours, I am too busy hunting for paper masks to look silly in.

• Confused 2

On 3/11/2020 at 10:46 PM, Russell17au said:

Yes and if I have the virus and I am wearing a mask (even a drugstore mask) and I cough and sneeze and spit at you then the virus only goes as far as my mask the same as in the operating theatre in a hospital. Therefore everyone wearing a mask at the start of this would have slowed the spread of the virus until it became a touch and airborne virus. So much for your medicine experience and your niece's that you like all the so called experts did not think about the way that the masks were used by doctors and nurses in an operating theatre, they all looked at the masks being used to stop the incoming of the virus but did not think about the outgoing of the virus

Did you actually read and comprehend my post before replying with that semi-literate, barely punctuated nonsense?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

hey all looked at the masks being used to stop the incoming of the virus but did not think about the outgoing of the virus

The viral particles are small enough to pass through those surgical masks, infection control studies carried out over many years, many hospitals put the efficacy of those surgical masks at between 6 and 15 minutes, and next to useless after suturated by expired moisture, saturated in a this sense means "wet"on the inside (facial side) of mask. I have posted one link which may assit you on the use of surical masks below.

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/infection-control/the-effectiveness-of-surgical-face-masks-what-the-literature-shows-30-09-2003/

• Confused 1

On 3/12/2020 at 1:22 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Which would indicate that you have no worries of catching COVID-19 right? Why is that, because your young and healthy or the odds of catching it just don't worry you?

I am 61. Very fit and healthy. I have no fear of this virus at all. I want to be very clear about this.

As with many things in life, I have no control over this. I can wash my hands, keep a comfortable distance I suppose. But I am not going to place myself in lockdown inside my condo, while hoarding supplies. Nor am I going to endlessly post diatribes against world leaders efforts at containment in some mistaken belief that in doing so I am making the world a better place.

Again, I have no fear of this virus at all. I am not changing my life except perhaps by using hand sanitizer more often.

If I was a different man, I suppose I would be worried, trying to understand how others think, but I do not understand the point of worrying. Sorry.

I consider worrying a waste of my life. A waste of emotion, a cause of stress. I might add that stress is a far greater killer then this virus is. People die everyday in this world.

I am pleased to report I am alive and well! Feeling happy, strong, and fearless. I hope everyone else can feel the same.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, nrasmussen said:

That's how I see it too.

Yesterday I was at a clinic to get a doctor's certificate for driver's licence renewal. The only time COVID-19 was mentioned was when the doctor asked how things were going in my home country (Denmark); my answer was: "Not good - I'm happy that I live in Thailand".

Only the strong will survive brother! The frightened are half dead already. A virus will just help them along the way ????

21 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I am 61. Very fit and healthy. I have no fear of this virus at all. I want to be very clear about this.

As with many things in life, I have no control over this. I can wash my hands, keep a comfortable distance I suppose. But I am not going to place myself in lockdown inside my condo, while hoarding supplies. Nor am I going to endlessly post diatribes against world leaders efforts at containment in some mistaken belief that in doing so I am making the world a better place.

Again, I have no fear of this virus at all. I am not changing my life except perhaps by using hand sanitizer more often.

If I was a different man, I suppose I would be worried, trying to understand how others think, but I do not understand the point of worrying. Sorry.

I consider worrying a waste of my life. A waste of emotion, a cause of stress. I might add that stress is a far greater killer then this virus is. People die everyday in this world.

I am pleased to report I am alive and well! Feeling happy, strong, and fearless. I hope everyone else can feel the same.

Good for you and thats fine. I worry however, I am 60, have children here, have elderly parents in the UK that will probably have to go into a 4 month quarantine and vulnerable people I know both in the UK and here.