Thailand cancels visa on arrival for 19 countries, visa exemptions for 3 to limit virus spread

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am even concerned about a simple visa run planned later in the year.

I don't think crossing any border now is guaranteed to be simple. 

And things can change quickly.  Less than 3 weeks ago Italy had 700 cases.  Now, they have > 10,000 and the entire country is under some degree of quarantine.  I heard an Italian medical official give an interview today. The healthcare system in Lombardy quickly became overwhelmed.  Of the 850 or so ICU beds in Lombardy, 600 are now occupied by corona patients, meaning people with non-corona emergencies may have a hard time getting medical attention.  

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, gerogero7 said:

Look at the numbers, total cases per 1 million population as of March 11, 2020:

Italy: 167

S.Korea: 151

China: 56.1

Singapore: 28.4

HongKong: 16.1

Japan: 4.6

Japan is known not to be testing in adequate numbers.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Funny how ASEAN member like Singapore are excluded.

Probably for fear of reciprocal action.

Thailand hasn't banned Israelis, or revoked their visa-waiver YET Israel has banned Thais.

Also, if Thailand were to seal borders with neighboring countries, that would cause chaos and disrupt vital trade, tourism and migrant workers. Don't think they're going to start with that besides, Singapore hasn't got that many cases. Recently, Japan was mentioned as a place of concern, but has been dropped of late. Now they're sticking with China, incl. Hong Kong and Macau, Iran, Italy and South Korea, the worst affected countries.

26 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yes,but now they can get denied when applying for the tourist visa because of the Coronavirus. Nobody knows. And I know that many Russians arrives on VoA. Some don't have money for a longer stay than 15 days. And the rubel is falling because of the falling oil prices. 

They can get 30 days visa free. Why would there be 2 types of options for them? That makes no sense. "Oh let me pay 2000 Baht for a 15 day visa, show all these documents and stand in line for 2 hours - yeah that's so much better than getting a 30 day waiver and being stamped in in 5 minutes". Not.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Starting to wonder, if and when I return to the US, as I was supposed to do in June for a daughters college graduation, if upon my return I will require a doctors certificate the way things are going.  However, a doctors certificate does not ensure one is not a carrier nor does it ensure one can not still be in the incubation period......

But it does mean you have consulted with a health professional and no longer totally winging-it.

40 minutes ago, Susco said:

Nobody gonna miss them, since they just apply for a visa BEFORE arrival and continue to enter Thailand in their usual numbers.

What's wrong with Russians?

Besides they DON'T need a visa. They have access to a 30-day visa waiver, due to a reciprocal agreement with Thailand. Surprised you don't know this...everyone else in Thailand does.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, drbeach said:

What confuses me is why Russia is on this list, when Russians get a 30 day visa waiver. No Russian in their right mind would fork out money for a 15 day visa and pay money for it, when they can stay twice as long for free.

This is probably less about what sort of visa is most economical for a Russian than it is about Russia's lack of transparency with regard to their claim to having only 20 Covid-19 cases.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Do you believe the heavily censored news out of China?

Despite their confirmed lies and attempted cover-ups?

South Korea yesterday also announced that new cases have declined massively, and is near stable

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-outbreak-cases-infections-deaths-a9387351.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Operator2002 said:

This is a confusing announcement: Russians did not have "Visa On Arrival" for the last ten years - they had visa exempt entrance for 30 days. 

Anybody can clear it up ?

Yes, they now get neither.

7 minutes ago, Operator2002 said:

This is a confusing announcement: Russians did not have "Visa On Arrival" for the last ten years - they had visa exempt entrance for 30 days. 

Anybody can clear it up ?

Just an error in the article.

Russians get their visa exempt entries under a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

Up to date list of countries is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I have trips planned to Germany and the US for later this year, but I expect to cancel both of them.  The virus could die out within a few months or LA could become Wuhan.  No one knows.  In addition to the basic health risk from travel, there is the new possibility that we might be stranded at our destination unable to return to our home here.

Merkel has been on the news today saying she believes that as many as half of the German population could be affected before this is over...40 million !   How many will end up with it in America we wait to see but Trump is ok and doesn't need a test...cos he said so !

Edited by trainman34014

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Visa on Arrival (VoA) will be suspended for nationals of all 19 countries and territories previously eligible, including Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, and Vanuatu, according to a list provided to reporters by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Ah, the coalition of the willing again. China aside, none of the other places on the list are a blip on the radar when it comes to at risk countries. 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are not on the visa exempt or visa on arrival list. They have to apply for tourist visas that can be denied when the application is done.

Maybe Thailand does not consider people from there as being a big risk.

That's because Japan refused to add Diamond Princess into their head count which other countries did so it's not fair for other countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Taiwan only has 48 cases but Japan has at least ten times more at 587 cases so why is Japan's visa not suspended?

Edited by EricTh

38 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Taiwan only has 48 cases but Japan has at least ten times more at 587 cases so why is Japan's visa not suspended?

Because those from Taiwan get visas on arrival which has been cancelled since all countries that get them are listed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susco said:

Nobody gonna miss them, since they just apply for a visa BEFORE arrival and continue to enter Thailand in their usual numbers.

Was in Jomtien last week & the majority of Farang visitors seemed to be from Russia so I’m guessing the beach vendors, restaurants etc... will miss them 

in Koh Samet this week & a largish group we’re at Ao Prao beach earlier so I’m guessing their absence would be felt here also