All over 70s in UK told to self isolate, lockdowns, entry bans imposed worldwide

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Some people here really have no idea what is shortly about to happen but then if ignorance is bliss carry on we all have to approach this in our own ways. Some of us have been preparing quietly since late January when sadly the writing was on the wall. It would appear the UK Government has been late to the party. Anyway up to you I'm working with family and neighbours to help best we can because more than likely the Government just won't be there when we most need them. We will get through this, some sadly won't and it is pure and simply the war for our generation.

Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population “are expected” to contract the virus.

The document says that: “As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

I am in total agreement that we aint seen nothin' yet WRT this pandemic. Anyone taking proactive steps and doing their best at preventative practices and teaming up with the neighbors to look after each other has got their head screwed on.

I wasn't trying to shoot the message as I was the message carrier. The DM is a tawdry, sensationalist tabloid that mostly misinforms. The few gems of sensible advice is buried in the paragraphs and pictures of irrelevant 'facts'. There's a slew of other media choices out there that present the facts and give advice in a much more sensible and straightforward way.

49 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Ah yes, the Good Ol' Dunkirk Spirit and all that!

Hey, did you see what @URMySunshine just said?

16 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

I'm working with family and neighbours to help best we can because more than likely the Government just won't be there when we most need them. We will get through this, some sadly won't and it is pure and simply the war for our generation.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, billd766 said:

I am 75 and live in a small village in rural Khampaeng Phet.

The big village is 6km away and fairly normal but I have a hospital appointment in KPP 65km away. The furthest I have been since Xmas is KPP and locally everything seems pretty much normal though I see fewer people around and rarely anyone wearing a face mask apart from the ladies working in 7/11.

I am mostly self isolated anyway, so do I need to go into a headlong panic mode yet?

Sure you are aware of Ekkachorn I was intern there in last century , I belive it is still runnig as a private pay as you go  or via insurance.

From public hospital go S to ring rd turn left at garage its about half a mile North towards Tak

The clinic used to be next to the 7-11 as you come over the river bridge from the bus station 

Not sure if map links allowed , 

PM me tomorrow if you need directions, 

Good luck

+66 55 716 100

or Vorots clinic at the roundabout try give the a call, only you know how urgent the appt is, speak to a Dr you may be able to defer , good luck

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 11:39 PM, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

They should give you back the tax, if nothing else.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:50 PM, NCC1701A said:

as i was saying on another topic it is completely possible the next step here is Thai immigration will follow suit for Farangs with retirement extension of stay.

now that they see this they may copy the UK.   

I lived in an hotel room. How would I be expected to stay in it when no kitchen etc?

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 10:33 AM, Dumbastheycome said:

The world is now at war with an invisible enemy! The  biggest damage at end will be to the global economy.

My fear is that that could initiate more  conventional war.

The economic fallout from this pandemic is going to be staggering.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The EU's Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton said a recession was now expected, with a 2-2.5% negative growth.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

Why should QANTAS pay because you simply changed your mind?

On 3/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, JHolmesJr said:

New rules in Singapore WEF Mon 11.59pm

ANYONE flying in fm ASEAN countries, UK, Japan, Switzerland will be issued

a compulsory stay home notice for 14 days.

Freeloaders planning to come in for free treatment will also have their hopes dashed.

They have to apply for a NOC fm the Singapore embassy of their country after

having a prescribed health form certified by a recognised doctor.

Good, good.

Which free loaders are you referring to?

24 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

No such thing as negative growth.

I acknowledge it sounds paradoxal, but it is a widely used term in economics.

Sore stomach tonight?

Edited by candide
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, dunroaming said:

IMO think the depression but worse. At least during the depression most people kept working, but if it goes on like governments want, thousands of small businesses go broke, tourist industry goes down the tubes ( and that's everyone connected with tourism ) and millions stay at home, what will be left when it's all over? Seems to me the "cure" could be worse than the disease.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:48 AM, 473geo said:

Or pay for online delivery already in place for sometime now - not too difficult, or have a younger family member or neighbour drop your shopping outside your door, not inconceivable

Alternatively you can go shopping now, put yourself at risk, with the other hundreds currently in a checkout queue at supermarkets - obviously crapping themselves hence the escalating toilet roll purchases - today limited to one pack of 30 only ????

From tomorrow the Lidl shops in Ireland will have shopping from 9 am till 11 am for seniors .Good idea i think . 

9 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Which free loaders are you referring to?

There are many who are flying in to SG despite having symptoms because they wish to get treated for free.

Obviously Singapores high standard of healthcare is what they're after. Not only do these morons endanger

everyone on there flight in, they also put an untold strain on SGs limited health resources.

That door has now been slammed shut. They countries (eg Indonesia) have failed them so they try their luck

elsewhere.

On 3/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Check with your airline, most are offering free rebooking irrespective of Normal ticket conditions 

I’m in the same boat as you (albeit heading to UK in May) & no way would I make the trip under the current conditions.

who are you flying with? I’m flying with Qatar who have already offered free rebooking or a 1 year travel voucher for anybody traveling before end of June

Check with the airline. Many are offering no charge to change dates etc but only if you booked direct with them. If you used an agency the airline may refer you to them.

Edited by overherebc

6 hours ago, anto said:

From tomorrow the Lidl shops in Ireland will have shopping from 9 am till 11 am for seniors .Good idea i think . 

Here in Australia commenced today for elderly people only shopping from 07:00 - 08:00. I went today at 07:15 shelves for pasta, rice etc already empty. Where I live supermarket had to have security guards at entrance as yesterday staff were bullied, threats of violence and so on from customers. Hopefully in Ireland they don't experience such ridiculous behaviour from the general public.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Here in Australia commenced today for elderly people only shopping from 07:00 - 08:00. I went today at 07:15 shelves for pasta, rice etc already empty. 

I'm staggered at the number of people who don't read the newspapers fully. Woolworths made it quite clear on Monday that they were closing their stores early on Wednesday evening so they could do a total re-stock overnight. The first day I'd expect the "Oldies Hour" (TM) to be able to access a reasonable supply of goods is therefore Thursday morning. The announcement re "from Tuesday" was clearly pure spin

Edited by ThaiBunny

14 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm staggered at the number of people who don't read the newspapers fully. Woolworths made it quite clear on Monday that they were closing their stores early on Wednesday evening so they could do a total re-stock overnight. The first day I'd expect the "Oldies Hour" (TM) to be able to access a reasonable supply of goods is therefore Thursday morning. The announcement re "from Tuesday" was clearly pure spin

Monday afternoon store staff said there will be sufficient stock for the elderly for Tuesday 07:00 - 08:00 period as stores are restocked overnight. Miscommunication somewhere in the management lines of communication.

Edited by simple1

21 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Sure you are aware of Ekkachorn I was intern there in last century , I belive it is still runnig as a private pay as you go  or via insurance.

From public hospital go S to ring rd turn left at garage its about half a mile North towards Tak

The clinic used to be next to the 7-11 as you come over the river bridge from the bus station 

Not sure if map links allowed , 

PM me tomorrow if you need directions, 

Good luck

+66 55 716 100

or Vorots clinic at the roundabout try give the a call, only you know how urgent the appt is, speak to a Dr you may be able to defer , good luck

Thanks for the tip.

Ekkachorn or Aikachon as it says on the envelope is the one I have used for a few years for my (not yet) diabetes checks every 3 months. FBS, INR and HbA1c checks and I am still not into diabetes yet.

This morning I got zapped with a temperature gun and my hands spritzed befor they would let me in the door. After that it was OK.

I don't buy any meds from there as they charge extortionate prices but the system is OK,