Beware of Centipedes

CH1961

Yesterday evening on Dongtan Beach ????

Scolopendra subspinipes, a giant Centipede ☠️

Information about from the Internet:

Large members of the Scolopendra genus may even be dangerous to humans. However, humans are rarely bitten, because of the centipedes' generally secretive lifestyle. The bite is intensely painful, accompanied by substantial local swelling. Other symptoms include fever and nausea.

IMG_20200315_181757.jpg

IMG_20200315_181744.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we have them in the garden. 

Woe betide one which exposes itself when the chooks and guinea fowl are on patrol.

They don't last long with a determined chicken on each end.

The regular birds seem to avoid them...and the  geckos are on strike apparentlyt

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we have them in the garden. 

Woe betide one which exposes itself when the chooks and guinea fowl are on patrol.

They don't last long with a determined chicken on each end.

Do Tokays  eat them (a big Tokay I mean)?

We had a nest of them under our old sofa, they all came out 2 days ago, I guess I killed 40 baby centipedes, when lifting the sofa we also found 1 adult under there. Killed it also. I have been watching the floor like a hawk the last 2 days lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

must make for tasty eggs or drumsticks..

We don't eat the chooks, they're really Madam's pets (along with the geese, guineas, koi and dogs), but the eggs are indeed gorgeous. 

• Like 1

My wife started squawking in her native Khymer last week & grabbed an umbrella and started furiously swinging it like Sybil Fawlty. I them realized that she'd seen one that was heading straight towards us as we were putting our shoes on to leave the house ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

I once nearly got tickled to death by a caterpillar.

I sat down on a wall near Sapa, Vietnam and must have brushed against some foliage. Within minutes I was itching like crazy and my whole body came out in a blotchy rash. I eventually found the culprit attached to the outside of my shirt. It was a harmless looking caterpillar whose hairs must have passed through the fibres of my shirt.

I managed to walk back to my hotel where I swallowed a few anti-hystamines and lay down. After about  6 hours I got up and went out for beer none the worse for my near death experience.

• Haha 1

True story

A household in my area was doing a yard cleanup, they found and killed a large centipede, when grandma came out the next day to finish picking up the rubbish, she did so with her bare hands and just happened to latch on to the centipede which had been dead for over 16 hours. Immediate pain so bad they rushed her to the hospital, they put her in ICU and she died the next day in terrible pain.

I have seen Thai pick up and remove, set free snakes  which they say are poisonous.

Twice I have seen Thais go wild beserk at Centipedes/Millipedes and quite literally wipe them off the face of the planet. 

My ex wife's sister was bit by one and was a hospital case as a young girl.

I have been told by Thai that they can kill old or young people with their bite.

john