Movement of visitors from high-risk areas to be tracked with mandatory sim and app

webfact

My first thought was that this may be a beta test for more widespread tracking of visitors in the future. Phew! Then I remembered that beta testing is an almost unknown concept for most people here.

Edited by bangkokfrog
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

seems they are not willing to close the place down - I have news for them, nobody is travelling to Thailand based on advice from their home countries

"My tolerance for idiots is extremely low but evidently there is a new strain emerging - I'm off to take a shower"

Congratulations on the signature line Sir, it also sums up my thoughts pretty well.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

They will be chained to their domicile. Up to you! 

i do not travel with a mobile.... and my iPad is a mini, so no sim. Does “up to me?” Mean that you believe I should buy an mobile phone, such that Thailand can implement the tracking of foreigners, that the government has been talking about for some time now?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, jany123 said:

i do not travel with a mobile.... and my iPad is a mini, so no sim. Does “up to me?” Mean that you believe I should buy an mobile phone, such that Thailand can implement the tracking of foreigners, that the government has been talking about for some time now?

I was joking. It's not my job to track you! 

How do these impractical IT Projects get so far?

Is no one sitting around the table brave enough to put their hand up and point out why it's a non-starter?

Worked in IT all my life and am so grateful none of it was in Asia.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, smedly said:

seems they are not willing to close the place down - I have news for them, nobody is travelling to Thailand based on advice from their home countries

I don't know about other countries but there is currently no advice from the UK government saying that their citizens shouldn't come here. I just got a GOV.UK email giving an update on Travel to Thailand. All it says, is that travellers from the UK should be aware of the restrictions in place here, it even mentions this new app.

He seems to only being talking about the category 1 nations here, but anyway there are reports on twitter that the attempt to have people install this app at immigration for category 2 visitors (ongoing transmission) too, is predictably an unworkable disaster anyway and that they're letting people through the standard way.

Nevertheless, the confusion around this issue is partly why a family member from the UK cancelled their holiday here which was going to start today. They weren't sure about how fun it was going to be, being viewed as a walking disease on the move, while in this country.

I didn't tell then about that plank health minister's various comments. They probably would have thrown in the towel that day, if they read it.

We had established that there was a high likelihood they would just slip through without additional measures (prepared them anyway with the app already downloaded and a filled out T8 form to help stay one step ahead if need be) from what I was hearing, but the nail in the coffin came at the 11th hour when my own flight home from here in early April was cancelled by my airline yesterday, due to events.

This combination of my family members not wanting to risk a change in policy here and finding themselves quarantined here in a concrete jungle for three weeks, along with the risk they may not be able to leave the country, killed it.

Those of us who are already in, are getting by, but I wouldn't advise anyone to come here because airlines are cancelling flights to Europe, now it is seen as the new epicentre to avoid at all costs.

You may get in here, but not get back, and until there is clarity as to how immigration will view those staying well over their time when there are now no neighbouring nations open for visa runs, then people will cancel for this year. 

The disconnect between official announcements and reality on the ground, will dissuade people from going. It is just going to be deemed as too much hassle. I don't wish Thailand ill, but the tourism boom is probably in its last year right now, while they continue to build and build and build as if nothing is happening. Strange phenomenon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We are cancelling our trip as well, it's not the thought of infection, it's the potential that Thailand could actually start testing and reveal an underlying time bomb that limits our freedom.

Re-booking for Loi Krathong.

1 hour ago, pixelaoffy said:

Deep seated feelings about falang come out when there's a crisis and looking for scapegoat

What are you talking about? 

How does your comment correlate with the countries that are actually affected, i.e. China, Macau, Hong Kong, South Korea, Iran and Italy, then?  There's more Asian/eastern than "falang" [sic] countries in that list!

Edited by Just Weird