Emerging infectious diseases expert warns “Time is running out for Thailand”

webfact

2 hours ago, riclag said:

I heard this guy talk about this new research! It looks promising! 

"hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus"

"A recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment".

https://www.covidtrial.io/

Before I left Thailand I tried to buy these at numerous pharmacies they said only a hospital had them.When I got back to the UK I bought a 100 for £135 from an online doctor they did a follow up....

Message from the doctor

09/03/20 - the doctor wrote :
Mr/Ms ,

On 04-03-2020, I provided you with a prescription via D@@@@@@@@@.com. As part of our aftercare, I am concerned as to whether you have any questions about the use or side effects of your medicine?
If everything is in order then you need not reply to this e-mail, however, if you have any questions or comments about the prescribed remedy, please let me know.

12/03/20 - you wrote :
I have bought this medication as potential insurance should I have to self medicate having contacted the coronavirus and no mainstream medical support is available as I understand it has had some effect as an off-label anti-viral. I would only consider taking it under those circumstances and as an extreme last resort. If such an event was to transpire do you have any recommended strategy to engage at that point? Kind regards 

I fully understand that any advice you may be able to give me will be in an unofficial and private capacity and I will be wholly responsible for using it and any potential adverse effects should I choose to do so. I also will respect total confidentiality to any advice you may choose to give and I totally and without reservation indemnify yourself and docket online with regards to this issue.

12/03/20 - the doctor wrote :
till now there is no medical evidence that chloroquine could prevent or cure corona virus
Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Xonax said:

WHO and health authorities have known for years and years, that it was only at matter of time, until we would have a worldwide virus pandemic. But they simply not only failed to advice people to stock up on masks and hand sanitizer. They even failed to stock up on these items in hospitals and clinics.

Now WHO and health authorities are lying, by telling people that it is useless to use masks, just so they can have enough masks for themselves. Better use your common sense and do not believe everything your government tells you!

Now the CDC is even advising medical personnel to use bandana or other homemade mask when they run out of mask. 

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I bought 40 chloroquinine for 80 baht, there is quite a lot of evidence from China, Japan and Australia that it is effective, not all Doctors are up to date

Where, at a pharmacy in Thailand ? Did you need a script ?

2 hours ago, riclag said:

I heard this guy talk about this new research! It looks promising! 

"hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus"

"A recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment".

https://www.covidtrial.io/

90% of patients tested would have tested negative left to their own devices looking at the Chinese results as the test subjects were in their own words "We're first focusing on a cohort study of healthy medical professionals" The suspected best option is a drug being trialed in the UK applied through an inhaler that was already being trialed for serious lung infections. This drug works by boosting your own immune defense to take you past the crisis zone of an infection which is a fairly new and novel way of thinking in dealing with such infections and works on a viral infection. Notice I say suspected best option, and I'm already taking Quinine in my tonic with a touch of gin so not dismissed the above as I'm 68 and will require a cure. Once the Daily Wail and the Sun realize and make the association that there is Quinine in tonic water they will be fighting in the isles for it ???? If we are all going to get some doses of hydroxychloroquine prepare for some very vivid dreams as I have taken this for Malaria prevention in India and Africa and had unbelievably vivid and very realistic strange dreams whilst taking it. (Edit) I forgot to add this headline should not read TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR THAILAND as we were already past that stage a month or two ago ????

Edited by cryo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cryo said:

90% of patients tested would have tested negative left to their own devices looking at the Chinese results as the test subjects were in their own words "We're first focusing on a cohort study of healthy medical professionals" The suspected best option is a drug being trialed in the UK applied through an inhaler that was already being trialed for serious lung infections. This drug works by boosting your own immune defense to take you past the crisis zone of an infection which is a fairly new and novel way of thinking in dealing with such infections and works on a viral infection. Notice I say suspected best option, and I'm already taking Quinine in my tonic with a touch of gin so not dismissed the above as I'm 68 and will require a cure. Once the Daily Wail and the Sun realize and make the association that there is Quinine in tonic water they will be fighting in the isles for it ???? If we are all going to get some doses of hydroxychloroquine prepare for some very vivid dreams as I have taken this for Malaria prevention in India and Africa and had unbelievably vivid and very realistic strange dreams whilst taking it.

That's not at all mad and very expat.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

WHO and health authorities have known for years and years, that it was only at matter of time, until we would have a worldwide virus pandemic. But they simply not only failed to advice people to stock up on masks and hand sanitizer. They even failed to stock up on these items in hospitals and clinics.

Now WHO and health authorities are lying, by telling people that it is useless to use masks, just so they can have enough masks for themselves. Better use your common sense and do not believe everything your government tells you!

well in their latest release they are admitting that N95 masks are at least 95% effective but its all too late:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-considers-airborne-precautions-for-medical-staff-after-study-shows-coronavirus-can-survive-in-air.html

Health officials recommend medical staff wear so-called N95 masks because they filter out about 95% of all liquid or airborne particles.

33 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I bought 40 chloroquinine for 80 baht, there is quite a lot of evidence from China, Japan and Australia that it is effective, not all Doctors are up to date. 

If they run out of chloroquinine at hospitals because of hoarding, remember sharing is caring. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

cant  imagine why the declared infections are so  low???

There have been numerous warnings in France and the rest of Europe that some of the  tests  being used and sold are not suitable / viable. They have been tested and they give erroneous results, meaning, declaring someone not contaminated by covid 19 when they are. So which tests have Thailand, and others , been using ? 

In my opinion, now is the time for any 1st-worlder with the means and with compromised health to GTFO of Thailand. They can't get the 90-day app to work. Is this a country that can handle a pandemic? We know the answer. 

The hospitals will be ground zero of infections. If you're sick, you're on your own. I think this is realism. Change my mind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, monkfish said:

So how will they decide who gets it? Will it be first come first serve? (as it should be)

...remember we are just dirty disease carrying farang..so we wont ever get a look in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So there we have it. One patient requires about 70 tablets. In the worst-case scenario Thailand anticipates to eventually have to deal with about 400,000 virus patients, i.e. stocks of at least 28 MILLION tablets would be needed to treat them.

But.... what did the other clown announce today? (Yes, I mean that incompetent who has the galls of labeling himself "minister of public health" and who thinks that all foreigners are shabby, dirty individuals who bring the virus to Thailand).

The clown said:

“For peace of mind, we need 50,000 tablets of Favipiravir,” he said. “There are already 80,000 tablets in stock, but we’re going to buy another 120,000 to hold in reserve. If we can get 200,000 tablets, that would be enough for all the virus patients in Thailand.”

Those 200,000 tablets would be just enough to treat about 2,860 patients, i.e. just a little over 5% of the 400,000 cases anticipated.

GET RID OF THAT CLOWN MAN QUICKLY! He evidently is completely unsuitable to hold such an important position.

Damn your a man of my hart , this is exactly the thing i thought emediatly when i read about the nr of medicine needed for 1 patient and what the dumb ... said earlier . What a total pease of .... . I found him that already after his earlier speach about farangs , but now i hope that people who read this story are all seeing the same thing , and i don't mean farang , i geuss this same story comes out in thai news .

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Chulalongkorn University’s Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases chief, Dr. Thiravat Hemachudha, has warned the Thai government that time is running out for Thailand if it does not immediately close its borders to all arrivals.

Not sure about the fan anymore... I think the proverbial is about to enter the wind tunnel!

40 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I bought 40 chloroquinine for 80 baht, there is quite a lot of evidence from China, Japan and Australia that it is effective, not all Doctors are up to date. Nobody claims it prevents or cures, it interferes with virus replication and shortens the illness. I thought it was over the counter medicine in the UK?

...not all Doctors are Doctors.

53 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

That's untrue. Costs vary from hospital to hospital. There was a thread on Thaivisa last week I think on the costs at different hospitals in Bangkok at least. Some as low as 3,000 baht. 
Thailand's health plan for the poor will also cover the cost. 

I have had it confirmed by wife with her relos and friends - if you test negative - you pay - not covered under Thai health plan. If you test positive - free.  Go figure.  Stops people not very sick getting tests done - keeps test numbers down is strategy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Just learned that if a Thai presents to Hospital for test and the result is negative they are charged 8k-10K Baht. Can anyone else confirm. If true and have no reason not to believe sources (BKK, CM and Issan) then now I know why so few new cases (besides being not counted as virus but as a chest infection). 

Exactly! These prices only compound the notion that the Thai Cv19 figures are highly inaccurate. 

at least someone is smart...

but actually maybe most good Thai people spending their time at temples do not care to kill their parents and grand parents ? This is the only real risk for most, so why caring ?

It's not arrivals from abroad that is the problem, it's social distancing.  One irresponsible carrier can infect the whole country.  Shutting borders won't help but shutting off social interraction, the BTS, confining people to their homes etc will effectively stop it.  But is that level of intervention really necessary to prevent people getting a nasty cough and a couple of days fever?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1