Thailand’s PM will take decisive action over COVID-19, but at the right time

rooster59

2 hours ago, robblok said:

If this was the case hospitals would be overflowing people would be dying and this would be all over social media. It is not. While I dont trust the numers they can't be off by a 100 that is just plain crazy. 3 or 4 times the numbers sure like on par with countries like UK.

But dont forget warm weather is the enemy of this virus, something Europe did not have but Thailand did. So tha could explain part of it.

It's exaggerated but there is truth in it. Most family's have members that are doctors and nurses and they will tell the others what they see.  

For example in Phuket it has been covered up for atleast 1 month. There's was a huge increase in Phenomia cases at Vachira and all employees working with the cases knew that it wasn't the regular thing but still first official covid19 case in Phuket wasn't reported until last week. 

36 minutes ago, Okis said:

It's exaggerated but there is truth in it. Most family's have members that are doctors and nurses and they will tell the others what they see.  

For example in Phuket it has been covered up for atleast 1 month. There's was a huge increase in Phenomia cases at Vachira and all employees working with the cases knew that it wasn't the regular thing but still first official covid19 case in Phuket wasn't reported until last week. 

I believe that the numbers were supressed.. i never said they wer en ot but not to an extent x100 maybe 10x that would be more believeable

• Like 1

Beginning to look like a "soft lockdown" is the best they can go for as that will manage the cases so they are not overrun at the hospitals. Locking everything down and expecting people to stay at home and not travel won't fly here as too many rely on day-to-day income and moving stuff around for SMEs. It will be chaos and, for example, they can't even ban people from sitting in the cargo space in the backs of pickups without a massive backlash.

Having a country that is populated by a majority of it's people continually living on the edge of the abyss and only a week away from bankruptcy/starvation is not good in this situation. Most Thais would probably want to just take their chances and keep earning. Social distancing measures like banning entertainment and non-essential activities like people going ice skating etc. is fine (closing borders too) but people need to work and use inter-provincial travel etc. or there will be problems like flagrant disregard for announcements and a "Devil may care" attitude from the locals. What would you do if you were an average Thai that relies on his 500 baht a day that he/she must go out and wrestle for every day? Choice is often a luxury for many and it's easy to forget that from a comfortable well-off position.

Edited by Brigand
Typos
  • Like 2

What other steps ? They have essentially closed all the borders with those impossible to obtain health requirements.

Next step: Ban all interprovincial travel

Next step after next step above: Curfew.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Okis said:

What is Phenomia? I cannot find it in dictionaries or elsewhere on the www!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

They've already started arriving in Hua Hin, I've seen lights on in buildings which only get turned on over Songkran or major holidays, if even then.

They will bring it with them.

Yes, if you don't close the whole country at the same time, a swarm of locusts will descend from BKK to cities outside, bringing infected with them. Lock it all down.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:48 AM, Sheryl said:

I must say this headline gave me a nice laugh.

Nope, I don't believe it is funny at all, for him decisive action would involve shooting on the spot anyone who doesn't wear a mask.

2 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Nope, I don't believe it is funny at all, for him decisive action would involve shooting on the spot anyone who doesn't wear a mask.

Masks only assit those who are infected from infecting others, (DX postives should not be out in public) so shoot the negative as well??

Unless the masks are N95 rebreather, then others of no use.

I'm sure I can't be the only one whose noticed this but he seems to be stood in the middle of a large crowd of people who are close together whilst wearing a mask round his chin.

Surely it would make sense for microphones to be set up with cameras further away and him to speak without all those stood behind him. 

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, if you don't close the whole country at the same time, a swarm of locusts will descend from BKK to cities outside, bringing infected with them. Lock it all down.

My wife's daughter and her husband live in BKK. Don't want them anywhere near me. Virus or not. Where are those commandoes? They could stop 'em leaving for the prov's. Come on Cha Cha; do it. You know you want to!!

And the submarines?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Okis said:

Not true.

At first they said cold countries would see the Virus spread.

Now you will know people go on holiday from cold to hot places and they are bringing the virus with them and you will note how many are being infected.

Look at the stats.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:47 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I doubt any insurance company is daft enough to cover this virus and right now no one gets into thailand without health insurance and a health certificate. The Thais got something right at last but were a bit late shutting the door.

Hi roadrunner

A little update regarding insurance when entering b Thailand for foreigners,I flew outa swampy yesterday, was ment to stay 3 weeks but decided by to leave after 1 week, was afraid of complete lockdown and not being able to return to work on my own country, airport quite but not dead, temp tested entering airport, no Q at immagration,asked for supervisor at information airside, io arrives with his little badges and medals, I asked if I wanted to return in a few weeks do I need a doctor's letter and insurance!! Surprise!! He didn't know!! Asked another io and she said u need doctor letter but not insurance!!!  Again in a country in crises officials don't know what's going on!! Hope it helps guys on the way to Los already!!!

Yep he'll make a decision when the Chinese have put enough money in his pockets and then it will be the decision the Chinese want like letting their infected people travel to Thailand. Good one Pinocchio

• Like 1