Thailand reports 188 new coronavirus cases, brings total to nearly 600

rooster59

Thailand reports 188 new coronavirus cases, brings total to nearly 600

2020-03-20.jpg.bb6efd8f5f6461c2c030d29b6ace6831.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 188 new coronavirus infections on Sunday, its largest daily increase, taking the total to 599 cases, a senior health official said.

The majority of the new infections are connected to a previous cluster of cases from a boxing stadium, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a Public Health Ministry spokesman, told a news conference adding one patient had recovered.

"Most of the new cases were found in Bangkok and were among young people who continue to have social activities, which can lead to more infections," he said urging the public to stay home.

There has been one death in Thailand.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng. Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-22

188 new cases take Thailand's Covid-19 total to almost 600

800_c49aca97cf4f4c8.png

Thailand saw a sharp rise in Covid-19 cases with 188 confirmed new patients on Sunday (March 22) taking the total to nearly 600.

Sunday's total is the highest on a single day since the outbreak.

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Public Health Ministry, said on Sunday that the new cases could be divided into three groups.

The first group of 65 are connected to cluster cases -- 21 people had attended a boxing event in a stadium, five had been to entertainment venues, two had attended religious ceremonies and 37 had had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected.

The second group comprises 15 people of whom eight had just travelled back from overseas (six Thais returned from Paoy Paet district in Cambodia, and two were foreign students), while seven had been working near boxing stadiums.

The origin of the virus in the third group of 108 is still being investigated.

Meanwhile, one patient has recovered fully and returned home.

As of March 22, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stands at 599 -- 553 are under treatment, 45 have recovered and been discharged, and there has been one death.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384600

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-22

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, BobbyL said:

Huge amount of daily jumps now. Similar to how it started in Europe a few weeks ago. Got a feeling they need to impose a proper lockdown (this government have done it before) to avoid Thailand becoming like Italy or Spain very soon. 

I heard a military helicopter this morning for the first time since I moved to my small village. I wonder if they are getting ready for a proper lockdown. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

if the majority are in BKK that would be a smart move to keep them there and don't allow them to travel and spread it out, thus first and foremost, lock down/shut down/block down, halt any and all traffic out of BKK

Hua Hin is bursting this weekend with Bangkokians fleeing the few restrictions imposed there. Too late for lockdown

• Sad 2

These are the UK figures for daily new cases and the cumulative total (source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-track-coronavirus-cases ). We're currently roughly where the UK was between the 12th and 13th March, so lagging it by just ten days. And I was really hoping the tropical heat would reduce the effectiveness of the virus, but I'd guess that the similarity of the UK and Thai curves is too great for that. Looks like some bad times to come.

image.png.5063bb6168cac11cabfb74f6ec0bfb98.png

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

Hua Hin is bursting this weekend with Bangkokians fleeing the few restrictions imposed there. Too late for lockdown

that's what I feared.... they (again) waited too long, this government always wanting the next $$$

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

that boxing stadium has become very handy but lets be clear by their own admission 

this sudden apparent escalation is 100% among Thais

you have found the solution, let's lock down and separate the Thais

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

This is about to get catastrophic

188 is a number from the people who were tested around a week ago. I hope I'm wrong but more will be coming and this will be widespread as everyone displaced by the closure of malls go back to their provinces

• Like 2

looks like it has started in significant numbers and since there has no contact tracing done so far, it is difficult to predict where it is headed. nevertheless, the usual precautions will help to control but concepts like social distancing are not easily achievable unless the infrastructure is in place to enforce proper distancing and isolation if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1