Thailand reports 188 new coronavirus cases, brings total to nearly 600

rooster59

35 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

if the majority are in BKK that would be a smart move to keep them there and don't allow them to travel and spread it out, thus first and foremost, lock down/shut down/block down, halt any and all traffic out of BKK

this can only be achieved by a complete shut down. is the government ready for this and have they got all the logistics in place for a shut down.

• Haha 1

Just now, z42 said:

But with a death rate of around 2% globally, the talks of lockdowns is absolute nonsense as Italy locked down long ago and their numbers of infected persons are still rising, there is no way to completely stop the spread of anything nowadays. And anyways, the vaccine is many months away, and you can't lock things down that long without compounding problems further.

I have sympathy of course, but again, locking the country down and creating an economic and extra humanitarian crisis when people can't access food won't help.

A more practical solution is needed. Bracing for flaming 

The lockdown in Italy has been sort of haphazard...

52 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Huge amount of daily jumps now. Similar to how it started in Europe a few weeks ago. Got a feeling they need to impose a proper lockdown (this government have done it before) to avoid Thailand becoming like Italy or Spain very soon. 

you are absolutely right. the only way to localise the problem is to have a complete shut down.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This is a highly probable d@mn inconvenience if ever there was one.  I may need to go to the Aussie embassy Wednesday and my guess is there will be a lock down tomorrow or Tuesday across the entire country.  That's if Mr Congeniality gets the nod from those who he serves. ????

46 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

thought the virus didn't like the hot weather, it must have adjusted/assimilated to the heat fast, Prayut better close the country down or lock it down ow whatever he wants to call it .....but it has to be done fast, no more wasting time

viruses are known to mutate; hence the behaviour can change accordingly.

• Like 1

I dont get it. Thailand was the first country in the world to have a case outside China. 'On January 13, the WHO reported a case in Thailand, the first outside of China, in a woman who had arrived from Wuhan'......so you are telling me there has been a spike starting now? Its obviously been out there months and months. Is the warmer weather slowing its spread? New research seems to point to this. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, z42 said:

But with a death rate of around 2% globally, the talks of lockdowns is absolute nonsense as Italy locked down long ago and their numbers of infected persons are still rising, there is no way to completely stop the spread of anything nowadays. And anyways, the vaccine is many months away, and you can't lock things down that long without compounding problems further.

I have sympathy of course, but again, locking the country down and creating an economic and extra humanitarian crisis when people can't access food won't help.

Italy went agaisnt the Chinese advisors suggestion of a full lockdown. They just announced today that since the "soft lockdown" isn't working they are now closing all non-essential store and industrial production country wide. 

This damn thing is scary.

Italy had almost 800 deaths yesterday and the curve is not flattening out as expected.

I fear that could happen in Thailand as well, if nothing serious is done soon.

At first i thought The country was somewhat protected by having a warm climate and natural high UV ratings, that gives the virus a lower chance of surviving longer times on surfaces, but seems like that theory is out the window.

I hope the world get through this without everything ending in total chaos and riots.

Thank god it seems like some countries has managed to stop the outbreak, so there is hope.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

Hua Hin is bursting this weekend with Bangkokians fleeing the few restrictions imposed there. Too late for lockdown

never too late... as the old saying goes, """better late then never"""

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

if the majority are in BKK that would be a smart move to keep them there and don't allow them to travel and spread it out, thus first and foremost, lock down/shut down/block down, halt any and all traffic out of BKK

Schools were closed about a week ago and 500,000 students went back home.

Bars, restaurants and hotels are sending staff home and most have gone back home outside Bangkok where is it cheaper to live. 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 2

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

Schools were closed about a week ago and 500,000 students went back home.

Bard, restaurants and hotels are sending staff home and most have gone back home outside Bangkok where is it cheaper to live. 

I know, I know and unfortunately the virus got a free ride

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, z42 said:

Incorrect.

First the global mortality rate is 4%, but a lot higher in places like Italy. But even that is skewed because the rate is calculated on cases...not recovered cases.

You are using one of the worst examples of a lockdown that was not supporter by widespread testing and population support. South Korea was a country that got it right. Better example. Lockdown will flatten the curve and not stress the medical care. Its not time for Government to step up with financial support for the millions that will lose businesses and jobs and money...and not use economics as a reason NOT to shutdown.

6 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

This is a highly probable d@mn inconvenience if ever there was one.  I may need to go to the Aussie embassy Wednesday and my guess is there will be a lock down tomorrow or Tuesday across the entire country.  That's if Mr Congeniality gets the nod from those who he serves. ????

If your talking about a need to travel, have you done any research as to what flights are available in the very near/near future Bkk to Australia and (I assume you hold an Australian passport) what virus related documents (medical / health insurance) are needed to enter Australia? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

However, the Thai Government keeps reporting that the majority of cases are from the boxing stadium.....really, lets get real Chan-CoCo a new tin and co.......

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Songkran is the middle of April, people wouldn't be going back yet for that

Yes and you posted the Barrow Mochit video in response to a quote that "However, we know from experience that the masses have already headed to the hills to be with family".

What masses? Not at least at Mochit

23 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you are correct, didn't pay to much attention to her posts, but now that you mention it, has been a while she didn't used her patronizing whining

Nothing wrong with a bit of balance, I'd like to hear from more Thais.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Apparently the Chinese are getting ready to travel again and it's believed that tourism in Pattaya will pick up again come May... really? 

After what the Chinese have been through are we to believe they are ready to head over to countries that have not controlled the virus yet?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

I heard a military helicopter this morning for the first time since I moved to my small village. I wonder if they are getting ready for a proper lockdown. 

Didn't think they had many left after all the crashes they had in recent years plus the unserviceable ones due to lack of new parts !

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

thought the virus didn't like the hot weather, it must have adjusted/assimilated to the heat fast, Prayut better close the country down or lock it down ow whatever he wants to call it .....but it has to be done fast, no more wasting time

A lot more 'Committee's' and 'Panels' to be set up first while they 'Mull' things over !

• Like 1